• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This seems oddly familiar

Zod

10 hours ago, trueblade said:

The biggest concern I'd have from Fields doing well is that it emboldens Tepper to get more involved. Even more so if Darnold doesn't pan out.

Look, I was the biggest Fields fan pre-draft. Loved the kid. I was screaming at the TV for us to take him. But we didn't. We aren't getting a mulligan. He's a Bear. 

But now put yourself in David Tepper's shoes. You were right about Fields. You knew it, but you trusted your football people and it blew up in your face (scenario assuming Darnold is Jet's Darnold again.) Now when the draft comes around again, and you get a conviction about a prospect, you're probably more likely to throw your considerable influence around. That would be my concern. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I don't want a Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder scenario to unfold just because we didn't hire the right head coach. That isn't the lesson I want the owner to take away from the next couple of seasons if we are still struggling.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

I like Horn, and I'm not going to pretend like I know how Fields career pans out.

BUT...

You still have to take Fields in that draft unless we just absolutely hated him.  Should he have success, this staff then deserves all the hate in the world for buying Teddy stock, (potentially) Darnold stock, and passing on (potentially) a franchise QB. I feel like a lot of our plans got shifted after the Watson news came out, but I sure as poo hope the Panthers FO knows something about Fields that a lot of media, fans, etc. don't. 

To be fair, we weren't the only ones that passed on him. There's an argument that the Eagles and Atlanta needed to be drafting a franchise QB, and we know that Denver needed one about as bad as we did. Fields would've slid, maybe even past the Patriots, if the Bears hadn't of made a move.  He wasn't exactly the flavor of the month during draft time within the media.

Edited by top dawg

45 minutes ago, top dawg said:

To be fair, we weren't the only ones that passed on him. There's an argument that the Eagles and Atlanta needed to be drafting a franchise QB, and we know that Denver needed one about as bad as we did. Fields would've slid, maybe even past the Patriots, if the Bears hadn't of made a move.  He wasn't exactly the flavor of the month during draft time within the media.

According to Cynthia Frelund of NFL.com, about a quarter of the scouts actually had Fields as the No. 1 quarterback in the draft, ahead of even Lawrence. Frelund said she talked to about 16 team scouts, and at least half of them had him as QB1.

Every board is different.  Plenty of folks never came off Fields being 1b right there with Lawrence.   Which is a position he road for 2 years.    

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

According to Cynthia Frelund of NFL.com, about a quarter of the scouts actually had Fields as the No. 1 quarterback in the draft, ahead of even Lawrence. Frelund said she talked to about 16 team scouts, and at least half of them had him as QB1.

Every board is different.  Plenty of folks never came off Fields being 1b right there with Lawrence.   Which is a position he road for 2 years.    

Bullshit.  Trevor is miles ahead of him as a prospect.  I love fields but he never processed the game like Lawrence does in real time.  Lawrence reminds me so much of Luck at the line of scrimmage and how he can dissect what they are doing instantaneously.   Fields probably is right there with TL in physical ability but he has a long way to go mentally.  I still probably would have taken Fields before Wilson. 

56 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Bullshit.  Trevor is miles ahead of him as a prospect.  I love fields but he never processed the game like Lawrence does in real time.  Lawrence reminds me so much of Luck at the line of scrimmage and how he can dissect what they are doing instantaneously.   Fields probably is right there with TL in physical ability but he has a long way to go mentally.  I still probably would have taken Fields before Wilson. 

well, the last 2 years.....Justin Fields was largely regarded as 1b. or #2 at worst. 

and that is NFL.com reporting where the team scouts had Fields.  Not me.  I am a Trevor fanboy.  I think he is Peyton 2.0 but more athletic and chill. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I still don't really get the Lawrence hype, honestly.

It's not that he's bad. It's just that to hear people talk, I was expecting a virtual football god.

Whenever I watched him, I just didn't see it.

I think he'll end up similar to Luck, in that his career will be very good but not able to reach the lofty expectations.