• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Summary of Darnold's day

Zod

I definitely would like more details here but I don't see to big of an issue here.. Going 19-36 with "several" drops, so to be fair that would put him somewhere in the 26 to 27-36 range had the balls been caught. (like I said more details needed) but That to me seems pretty good all considering. I'm just a glass half full kinda guy I guess

8 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Seems the consensus now is that the issue was with receivers getting open and drops. That's going to happen some days.  There's hints some might not have put in the best effort today.

It's not all about Sam as coach only singled out receivers after saying the others practiced well.

our WRs are the second best part of this team behind the one man show that is CMC.  

a bad collective day for the offense? It's easy for a HC to cherry pick the WR unit out to bear the brunt of that as he talks about the day.  Makes his life easier with an annoying media.. 

I mean, there were plenty of tweets  indicating the entire unit had a bad day.  Rhule IMO by design of how he spoke to the media wanted the WRs to take that hit.  Because everyone knows they are fine there.  

• Pie 1

i Watched a video from Rhule after the practice and he said Sam had several throws right in the hands of the receiver and they dropped it.  

This is hardly Sam's fault.  We had a bad day in the receiving department IN PRACTICE. 

He also mentioned the running game portion of practice was very good.

STOP WITH THE SKY IS FALLING NARRATIVE.  

So lame. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

our WRs are the second best part of this team behind the one man show that is CMC.  

a bad collective day for the offense? It's easy for a HC to cherry pick the WR unit out to bear the brunt of that as he talks about the day.  Makes his life easier with an annoying media.. 

I mean, there were plenty of tweets  indicating the entire unit had a bad day.  Rhule IMO by design of how he spoke to the media wanted the WRs to take that hit.  Because everyone knows they are fine there.  

I think part of it is that Rhule knows that the WRs have to shine. Like you said, they're a strength of the offense. They can't afford to have off days. We don't have a QB anymore who can carry the entire offense when need be.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think part of it is that Rhule knows that the WRs have to shine. Like you said, they're a strength of the offense. They can't afford to have off days. We don't have a QB anymore who can carry the entire offense when need be.

True.  I mean, we will need DJ Moore to haul in poorly thrown ball in the endzone if he can get his hands on it.   Think that was tweeted about today.   DJ Moore is where the biggest burden falls on because he is the playmaker. 

I mean, take it back to 89 playing with some random QB over the years.  The burden was on 89 to make it happen.  The perfect throw wasn't the expectations.  Just get it in the ballpark. 

Flip it and have Cam throwing to Philly Brown....the emphasis and burden is more heavily on the ball placement and QB than Philly being spectacular. 

Ideally, you would like to be in between those two examples.   

When our roster looks like it does....the burden is on the WRs and CMC making Darnold look good.  At least this year.  Not the other way around.  Maybe give the rookie WRs some leeway there.  But that's it.   OL having a big say in if that is possible though.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Also, no one should be worried about our WRs. This isn’t a ted ginn situation. Everyone has good hands, just a bad day. 

Could not agree more everyone has off days, if this was week 10 i would be a bit concerned but this is really not an issue until it’s frequent.

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

So really not as bad as the numbers appear to be.  Thanks 

No it's not.   Don't listen to the Peanut Gallery who weren't even there to watch practice in person.

1 hour ago, mccjeff said:

Are you actually laughing at the teams qb1 having a bad day? What a douche.

He really is.  Seriously.  smh.

He wants PJ to start sooooo badly, it's nauseating.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wait....Teddy carried the entire offense before Sam got here?? 🤔

But in all seriousness, you're right.  It's the WRs job to make the catches as some of the throws may not be on-target so adjustments have to be made on their part.

It's what makes them Great WR's.  

4 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

So you hope Sam turns it around on one hand, then call him a loser on the other.    Maybe you can get NFL Sunday Ticket (Or whatever it's called these days) where you could watch Chicago Bears games and root for Fields?  🤨

Sam Darnold is currently a certified loser at the NFL level. His record as a starter is 13-25. He would need to almost go undefeated this season to not be considered a loser at the NFL level anymore.

I'm not saying rolling the dice on Darnold was a bad idea. It was worth the gamble based on what the Panthers were able to acquire him for. But the fact the Panthers management didn't bring in a Plan B in the likely scenario Darnold is a failure as a Panther is why I believe everyone involved in that decision should be fired if he is indeed a failure.

The Panthers had Justin Fields fall into their lap. They could have signed a veteran QB like Andy Dalton. Or kept Teddy Bridgewater. Or brought in some other QB with starting experience. The 2021 Panthers QB room might be the absolute worst in the NFL.

• Flames 2
  • Poo 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Multiple journalists who were actually at the practice say the receivers had a bad day...

Random fan who was nowhere near the practice and had no access to it says the coach is just coddling the quarterback...

Who to believe... 🤔

So the receivers had a bad day. What's the quarterbacks job? Lead your group and get your offense in sync. But you can't build any continuity from the bench. This is the best overall receiving corps we have seen in years as far as pure potential. This isn't Legedu Nannee or Philly Brown or Brenton Bersin or Kaelin Clay. You can't praise them and talk them up when it's convenient and then throw them under several buses when it's time to protect your guys confidence because his completion percentage doesn't paint a rosy picture. Sam is inevitably going to have some bumps along the way but you have to let him get through that if he is to restore his career here. The clock is ticking.

Edited by frankw