• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is Joe Brady really?

Mr. Scot

30 minutes ago, joemac said:

it will help to see him run his offense with a healthy CMC

This right here! You know hw was like a kid in a candy store last year as a new OC coming up with ways to use the most versatile back in the league. Them BLAMMO! CMC goes down and he has Davis, who was likely supposed to just be a change of pace guy. Sure, he was powerful, talented runner, but 1/2 the RB plays were immediately scrapped because he's no CMC.

6 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

This right here! You know hw was like a kid in a candy store last year as a new OC coming up with ways to use the most versatile back in the league. Them BLAMMO! CMC goes down and he has Davis, who was likely supposed to just be a change of pace guy. Sure, he was powerful, talented runner, but 1/2 the RB plays were immediately scrapped because he's no CMC.

Yeah, fo sho.  This is evidenced by CMC having freaking 6 TDs in the 3 games that he played.  I think CMC will have over 20 total TDs this year. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, BigTeddyFan said:

He is the first OC at any level who hasn’t been successful with Teddy as his QB.

Norv and Scott Turner did so well with Teddy in MN.  That 2015 season was killer! He almost averaged a passing TD per game with Adrian Peterson at his peak.  

Side bar--Heineke was with Turner on those teams.  The Turners love that guy.  

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Norv and Scott Turner did so well with Teddy in MN.  That 2015 season was killer! He almost averaged a passing TD per game with Adrian Peterson at his peak.  

Side bar--Heineke was with Turner on those teams.  The Turners love that guy.  

Heinike is legit.  He showed me a lot in that playoff game last year. 

Brady might be a good OC, I don't know. I hope he is. I do wonder how much of the 2020 season that made him a star was his coaching versus the tremendous players he had.

LSU teams are always stacked with talent, no doubt, but I think you'd have a hard time finding another LSU team stacked with as much talent on the offensive side of the ball as the 2020 Tigers.

• WR Ja'Marr Chase So - 1st round 2021
  • WR Justin Jefferson Jr - 1st round 2020, 2020 OROY (Sporting News), 2020 Pro Bowl
  • WR Terrace Marshall Jr. - 2nd round 2021
  • QB Joe Burrow - 1st round 2020
  • RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire 1st round 2020
  • Lloyd Cushenberry - 3rd round 2020, starting center for Denver
  • Damien Lewis - 3rd round 2020, starting right guard for Seattle. Named to the Pro Football Writers Association's All-NFL Rookie Team in 2020

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Brady might be a good OC, I don't know. I hope he is. I do wonder how much of the 2020 season that made him a star was his coaching versus the tremendous players he had.

LSU teams are always stacked with talent, no doubt, but I think you'd have a hard time finding another LSU team stacked with as much talent on the offensive side of the ball as the 2020 Tigers.

• WR Ja'Marr Chase So - 1st round 2021
  • WR Justin Jefferson Jr - 1st round 2020, 2020 OROY (Sporting News), 2020 Pro Bowl
  • WR Terrace Marshall Jr. - 2nd round 2021
  • QB Joe Burrow - 1st round 2020
  • RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire 1st round 2020
  • Lloyd Cushenberry - 3rd round 2020, starting center for Denver
  • Damien Lewis - 3rd round 2020, starting right guard for Seattle. Named to the Pro Football Writers Association's All-NFL Rookie Team in 2020

That season it all came together for LSU.  Dominant team start to finish

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

This conversation has arisen in a couple of other threads, so I thought I'd give it a place.

It's generally acknowledged that OC Joe Brady has a brilliant offensive mind. In my opinion, it's fairly evident in his play design.

Now with that said, play calling and game planning are different skill sets. It's possible to be very good at writing out plays but not so much at knowing what to call when the pressure is on.

It should also be noted that Brady is young, hasn't really been a true solo coordinator before and might still be growing into his job.

So I'm wondering, what is people's opinion on how good Joe Brady really is overall in the job of offensive coordinator?

Add to that how good you think he potentially could be.

So far to me, doesn’t look good. I may also be bitter about him looking for a head job after 1 year. 

43 minutes ago, BigTeddyFan said:

He is the first OC at any level who hasn’t been successful with Teddy as his QB.

Teddy under Joe Brady

best comp %

most passing yards

most passing TDs

most rushing yards

most rushing TDs 

Individually, Joe Brady gave Teddy the best season of his career. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, gmonjimbo said:

My only concern so far, is the redzone production. The difference between the elite, good, average, and bad offenses besides turnovers is when you get into the opposition's territory you get TDs, not field goals. I thought last year, it was mostly Bridgewater, but the first 2 preseason games i still see the trend of kicking FGs and with a bad K like Joey Syle, uncomfortable situation. 

The thing with Brady is that he's only just going into his third year as an OC. As much as NFL Owners and GMs want him to be, he's not a savant like McVay.

I've been pleased with Brady so far - he'll only get better too.

As for the RedZone production - sadly that was due to our lack of weapons (and a QB afraid of slinging it). Things are much more difficult when you can't just hand it to / dump it off to McCaffrey and watch him beat two players.

They've gone out in the offseason and acquired two big RedZone threats - Arnold and Marshall. Two big bodied, high-point catching weapons. We'll see if he struggles in that area this year. 

• Pie 2

I like him a lot but some of the red zone, short yardage and situational play calling has been pretty damn terrible at times. Hopefully he can grow in those areas, and I think he will. There's a reason he's already gotten head coaching buzz...