• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you be upset if Sam was KC version of Alex Smith?

Panthercougar68

I pose this question to the huddle. Alex Smith drafted #1 with his first team flamed out quickly only to turn around and become a constant playoff qb for KC.

I know the knock is never trust an Andy Reid QB but would you take 5+ seasons of Wild Card football to make the roster a winning roster before going all in on a “top prospect” in the draft.

I was sitting on the back patio thinking about Tepper’s Rome wasnt built in a day comments from when Rhule was hired…I’ll take 10-7 to 11-6 every year till we get the pieces to stomp the league.

If wild card was the floor, if be fine with it, but being a one of two and done year in and year out would get old fast I would think. Don't get me wrong, absolutely beats where we've been since 2018, but the expectations should be to continue to improve.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Does it mean a championship in my lifetime as a Panthers fan?

If it does, then of course I'm ok with it.

Honestly…my thought process in this question was taking the super bowl out as if “we don’t know” kind of thing.

I was reading the Panthers subreddit about Justin Fields and “how it was a mistake” to pass over him. Justin might be a franchise qb but I’m at a point where if someone can lead us to 5+ years of winning football I would be happy because that’s means you can throw all the first round picks to move up for the game changer.

Hell you might get a super bowl in those 5+ years. Eli did it.

1 minute ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Honestly…my thought process in this question was taking the super bowl out as if “we don’t know” kind of thing.

I was reading the Panthers subreddit about Justin Fields and “how it was a mistake” to pass over him. Justin might be a franchise qb but I’m at a point where if someone can lead us to 5+ years of winning football I would be happy because that’s means you can throw all the first round picks to move up for the game changer.

Hell you might get a super bowl in those 5+ years. Eli did it.

I was thinking the same, because Alex Smith never won a championship, but then the Chiefs drafted Mahomes and the rest is history.

So that's why I would be ok with it.

• Pie 1

I feel like Alex Smith KC would be the absolute best Darnold could be and that would be way more than I believed he would be if he becomes that. I unfortunately bam not sold on Darnold by the one game this week. I hope I'm wrong but I still have a bad feeling we are searching for a QB for the future at the end of this season. God I hope I'm wrong, I truly do. I had hoped I was wromg with Teddy last year as well and had high hopes but what I feared came true. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

There was nothing wrong with Alex Smith, he just was outplayed in almost every situation he was in. Thats not really on him, there was some bad luck involved as well. With the chiefs, alex smith was good, even went to the playoffs? but Mahommes was/is more flashy,athletic,basically had that "it" factor, kind of hard to deny that. Then he broke his leg in Washington, that was the bad luck. I wouldn't mind Alex Smith but with this oline the panthers need an athletic qb who can use his legs when he needs to.

If he was able to have the success(team winning wise) that Smith was in KC, abso-fuging-lutely. We have never even had back to back winning seasons. That would be the most successful period in franchise history and would be a big step forward in establishing us as a contending team.

We can always go get another guy when the opportunity presents itself(like Mahomes) but that would be a massive step.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

i'd be OK with it as well, but IMO he's going to be better than A. Smith. 

Darnold just needs to trust himself and this team is going to be fine.  2021 will depend on two units if you ask me.  One on Offense and One on Defense.

Obviously, the O-line is one unit.

If our O-line can gel together (whatever group we finally go with) and keep Sam upright we'll score enough points.

Linebacker is two. Our linebackers have to make things difficult in the running game.  If we can be at least solid at LB, i think our defense is going to be tough to score against.

Sam just needs to make the right decisions and let our defense let him get ahead quickly.  

Getting ahead quickly takes the pressure off him some.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I pose this question to the huddle. Alex Smith drafted #1 with his first team flamed out quickly only to turn around and become a constant playoff qb for KC.

I know the knock is never trust an Andy Reid QB but would you take 5+ seasons of Wild Card football to make the roster a winning roster before going all in on a “top prospect” in the draft.

I was sitting on the back patio thinking about Tepper’s Rome wasnt built in a day comments from when Rhule was hired…I’ll take 10-7 to 11-6 every year till we get the pieces to stomp the league.

KC’s Alex Smith but in a Panther uniform….was Teddy Bridgewater. 

if that is the case the coaches shouldn’t of made it so keeping Teddy was impossible.  Teddy Bridgewater is a much better Alex Smith than Darnold can strive to be.  It’s in his DNA be like Alex Smith. 

Seems like the question is…is it okay for Sam to be like Teddy.  

• Beer 4