• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton Released

WaterBoy

10 minutes ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

Yea Montanna led the team to their pinnacle of success, as did Cam. Although Montana's/ 49ers success was greater than what Cam/ Panthers achieved fact remains he was the QB of our team during the most successful season we've ever had.

Thanks for proving my point.

A Super Bowl loss is a previously acheived pinnacle, and considering 38 was a much closer game I would consider it the Pinnacle but nice try.

12 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I agree with this. We've heard the same shitty narrative from people outside orgs about Cam his entire career.  Surprisingly the shitty narrative is the same one applied to most QBs with his skin color.  Who would have thought?

The idea Cam can't pick up a playbook is bullshit. To the extent that QBs help each other learn, sure. The idea that Jones walks in and teaches cam the playbook? Bullshit.

You're absolutely right.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Cam's New Arm said:

That's the thing with looking at something with biased glasses on. It makes grander views that much harder.

Cam is used up and has washed out of the Patriots system. He may still be a serviceable QB somewhere but he wasn't going to play #2 over there this season and we all knew that.

What bias? I am completely aware that he is physically not the same quarterback he has been in some years. The ride looks to he over sadly but hey that's sports. All that being said it does not mean I have to ignore nonsense when I see it. These stereotypes about black qb's need to go the way of the dinosaur so future kids don't have to put up with dated preconceived notions based on nothing more than numbskullery that also gives way to criticism about the sincerity of smiles and listening to music in practice.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

Let's put this into proper context and remove the elephant from the room so everyone can move on.

Cam Newton is admittedly still learning the Patriots' offense as he goes (msn.com) 

Newton’s problem this season has been consistency and the Patriots don’t know what they’ll get on a weekly basis. It’s something he’s still working on.

“Have I done it consistently? Not to my liking, but I am getting there,” Newton continued. “It’s just a learning curve. It’s just learning each and every day in the famous words of a quote from Game of Thrones, ‘You know nothing, Jon Snow.’ That’s been my mentality each and every day. Just try and stay open-minded and learn as much as I possibly can because it may be some things and I understand how Josh works and it is so unbelievable to work with him because he makes so much in-game adjustments that you have to always to stay on your Ps and Qs because you will always say, ‘We went over that one time this week, coach. You can’t call that.’ That’s not how Josh works. He’s all about reacting to however the defense — whatever the defense gives him and you have to be ready to go and execute at a high level.

“With that being said, as far as adversity, as far as success, as far as what my expectation is, it never will change. I know that I don’t know enough and there’s also a side of me where I can say I came a long way in this system, but I am still learning. I think that is my [character] that each and every day I know that I have yet to play my best football and I am getting more and more comfortable all under the graces of obviously Dolla Bill [Bill Belichick], Mickey Ds [McDaniels] and coach Jedi [Jedd Fisch].”

Relevant to this conversation:

From https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/05/hesitation-to-sign-cam-newton-comes-from-history-of-injuries-throwing-issues/

"This same source bristled loudly at former Patriots linebacker Rob Ninkovich’s recent suggestion that Newton didn’t understand the playbook, and that a rookie quarterback had to help him learn it. Newton was with the Patriots throughout 2020. They chose to re-sign him. Less than two weeks ago, Newton was described by Bill Belichick as the starter. (Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said the same thing, a day earlier.)

The source believes that a bunch of former Patriots players (such as Ninkovich) had a hard time with Tom Brady leaving and Cam Newton replacing Brady. Also, pointing to potential red herrings like playbook issues or distractions from music being played at practice cover up the basic truth. Cam was the starter until he failed to comply with a fairly basic aspect of the rule applicable to unvaccinated players. Thus, the decision to make him not the starter flowed directly from his vaccination status and the ever-present possibility that he won’t be available to play or to practice."

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Let's put this into proper context and remove the elephant from the room so everyone can move on.

Cam Newton is admittedly still learning the Patriots' offense as he goes (msn.com) 

Newton’s problem this season has been consistency and the Patriots don’t know what they’ll get on a weekly basis. It’s something he’s still working on.

“Have I done it consistently? Not to my liking, but I am getting there,” Newton continued. “It’s just a learning curve. It’s just learning each and every day in the famous words of a quote from Game of Thrones, ‘You know nothing, Jon Snow.’ That’s been my mentality each and every day. Just try and stay open-minded and learn as much as I possibly can because it may be some things and I understand how Josh works and it is so unbelievable to work with him because he makes so much in-game adjustments that you have to always to stay on your Ps and Qs because you will always say, ‘We went over that one time this week, coach. You can’t call that.’ That’s not how Josh works. He’s all about reacting to however the defense — whatever the defense gives him and you have to be ready to go and execute at a high level.

“With that being said, as far as adversity, as far as success, as far as what my expectation is, it never will change. I know that I don’t know enough and there’s also a side of me where I can say I came a long way in this system, but I am still learning. I think that is my [character] that each and every day I know that I have yet to play my best football and I am getting more and more comfortable all under the graces of obviously Dolla Bill [Bill Belichick], Mickey Ds [McDaniels] and coach Jedi [Jedd Fisch].”

This is from last season though.

Rob is insinuating Cam is dumb as hell and still doesn't know the playbook.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Relevant to this conversation:

From https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/05/hesitation-to-sign-cam-newton-comes-from-history-of-injuries-throwing-issues/

"This same source bristled loudly at former Patriots linebacker Rob Ninkovich’s recent suggestion that Newton didn’t understand the playbook, and that a rookie quarterback had to help him learn it. Newton was with the Patriots throughout 2020. They chose to re-sign him. Less than two weeks ago, Newton was described by Bill Belichick as the starter. (Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said the same thing, a day earlier.)

The source believes that a bunch of former Patriots players (such as Ninkovich) had a hard time with Tom Brady leaving and Cam Newton replacing Brady. Also, pointing to potential red herrings like playbook issues or distractions from music being played at practice cover up the basic truth. Cam was the starter until he failed to comply with a fairly basic aspect of the rule applicable to unvaccinated players. Thus, the decision to make him not the starter flowed directly from his vaccination status and the ever-present possibility that he won’t be available to play or to practice."

Great find.

I've always felt that Cam being unvaccinated was the main reason he was cut. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Cookie Lyon said:

Great find.

I've always felt that Cam being unvaccinated was the main reason he was cut. 

I think so. Cutting him also lends some credence to this imo, because you reduce the risk to your QB room as well.  Although I can also understand a team wanting to make sure a rookie doesn't feel like he has to look over his shoulder at the former MVP behind him.

I hope Cam gets vaccinated because if he does I'm pretty sure he'll be starting for someone by year's end, or at least be a backup.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s way out of context. He was talking about tying to learn NE’s complicated playbook in a short offseason.

No, it goes back to when he talked about learning Norv Turner’s playbooks.

Scott built him special binders so they could help him learn the plays because of his ‘unique learning style’.

You can see one report here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-scott-turner

You can tell, based on quotes from Cam himself, that learning this stuff wasn’t exactly effortless.

He mentioned that 2018-2019 was the first time he didn’t feel like he was ‘guessing’ all the time.

There is also this old quote I found.

“I can’t learn when everybody learns, my attention isn’t as pristine as other people’s, I know that, I’ve accepted that,” Newton said in September, 2019. “Me, being the way I am, when I’m ready to learn something, it might be at 8 p.m. at night. So if don’t want to bother Scott, nor do I want to ask other people questions, I wanna know something as simple as ‘What is a Yo motion?’, something as simple as, ‘What’s Bingo?’, something as complex as ‘What is Fleet?’ or ‘Who moves on Swap Shift?’, those things I already have in my book.”

Edited by Tbe

17 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think so. Cutting him also lends some credence to this imo, because you reduce the risk to your QB room as well.  Although I can also understand a team wanting to make sure a rookie doesn't feel like he has to look over his shoulder at the former MVP behind him.

I hope Cam gets vaccinated because if he does I'm pretty sure he'll be starting for someone by year's end, or at least be a backup.

I don't know if Newton's vaccination status played a primary role or even a major role in his release.

With that said, I have a really hard time buying Belichick's assertion that it played no role.

(granted, I have trouble believing Belichick in general)

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Tbe said:

No, it goes back to when he talked about learning Norv Turner’s playbooks.

Scott built him special binders so they could help him learn the plays because of his ‘unique learning style’.

You can see one report here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-scott-turner

You can tell, based on quotes from Cam himself, that learning this stuff wasn’t exactly effortless.

He mentioned that 2018-2019 was the first time he didn’t feel like he was ‘guessing’ all the time.

There is also this old quote I found.

“I can’t learn when everybody learns, my attention isn’t as pristine as other people’s, I know that, I’ve accepted that,” Newton said in September, 2019. “Me, being the way I am, when I’m ready to learn something, it might be at 8 p.m. at night. So if don’t want to bother Scott, nor do I want to ask other people questions, I wanna know something as simple as ‘What is a Yo motion?’, something as simple as, ‘What’s Bingo?’, something as complex as ‘What is Fleet?’ or ‘Who moves on Swap Shift?’, those things I already have in my book.”

Sounds to me like ADHD which isn't a huge problem.

• Pie 1