• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can this guy really be "THE GUY" for the Aints

CarolinaLivin

Just now, shaqattaq said:

Winston definitely has a better line, but Sam as a lot more weapons. It'll be fun to follow both "resurrections" this season. I think our offensive strategies are similar since Brady learned under Payton, so both should get the shot the need to succeed.

Also, fug the taints, GPKP!

I’m not super stoked about Darnold. I watched him at USC and never quite understood why he was so hyped. He always felt like a 2nd-3rd round project QB to me. I’m not that optimistic he’s the guy but hoping for the best. Really wish there was a plan B on the roster. 

Jameis made sense where he was drafted. He’s shown he can play in the NFL but needs a situation more tailored to his skills and a risk averse offense. I think he turns it around in New Orleans. I’d rather have Jameis right now on this Panthers offense than Darnold.

33 minutes ago, CRA said:

Winston had a league leading 626 pass attempts and over 5000 passing yards (8th highest in history) that season.  

What do you think the INT column would have looked like for Sam if asked to shoulder a pass load like that? 

It's a pretty simple extrapolation: Darnold's INTs over 626 pass attempts would have come to just under 19.  There's no need for wild speculation when we have fundamental mathematics at our disposal.

• Pie 3

Just now, Luciu5 said:

Did Winston play in the preseason at all?  What did he look like?  Idk cause I don't pay attention.

He did.  I didn't see him play but he has pretty good numbers... In limited time in 2 games he had 3 tds, 1 int, couple hundred yards and a high completion %:

Game 1: 7/12, 96 yards, 1 TD, 1 int.

Game 2: 9/10, 123 yards, 2 TDs, 0 ints...

• Beer 1

Hey I’m glad Brees is gone, but don’t ever count damn Payton out he always has something up his sleeve. We will see Winston and then that damn Hill. I mean u know he is going to run the ball and we still couldn’t stop him. I hope we sweep Saints, and get back on track of dominating this division again soon.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jameis has shown a lot more at the NFL level than Darnold has. I'd rather take a chance on a guy who has shown an ability to play at a high level and who needs to work on a turnover problem than a guy who basically has to learn how to play QB at the NFL level.

Well, it's kind of like an RB that fumbles: if a QB consistently, or even continually, turns the ball over, then he won't be playing...unless maybe he's P.J. Walker.

55 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

It's a pretty simple extrapolation: Darnold's INTs over 626 pass attempts would have come to just under 19.  There's no need for wild speculation when we have fundamental mathematics at our disposal.

Well, that’s also why I said imagine if he had that pass load on his shoulders and didn’t just say if he had those pass attempts.  Winston put up the 8th most yards in NFL history the year being talked about 

So you can just look at the INT% and pass attempts and pull your number.  But the 626 pass attempts would only project a 2020 Sam Darnold  as having a 3000+ yard season if you look at yards.   Which wouldn’t really be a comparable load asked of the two IMO.   Sam IMO has never been asked to shoulder the offensive load in the manner Winston did that year.   So I think you got to look at more than just the attempts. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, it's kind of like an RB that fumbles: if a QB consistently, or even continually, turns the ball over, then he won't be playing...unless maybe he's P.J. Walker.

Brace yourself, but Winston's career INT% is 3.4 vs Darnold's 3.2. Over their careers they've been roughly equal at throwing INTs. Winston has averaged 0.6 fumbles per game to Darnold's 0.4.

Turnover wise, they're very close. There's a huge gap in yardage and TDs though.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brace yourself, but Winston's career INT% is 3.4 vs Darnold's 3.2. Over their careers they've been roughly equal at throwing INTs. Winston has averaged 0.6 fumbles per he to Darnold's 0.4.

Turnover wise, they're very close. There's a huge gap in yardage and TDs though.

Depressing 

it will be very interesting as tape shows how ‘pass rush’ adverse Darnold is…happy feet etc.  Don’t know if he has ‘David Carr’ syndrome or not 

We will find out soon enough   In Darnold’s favor, lesser competition first couple of weeks but expect Saleh to bring pressure often