• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

I remember someone this off-season tryin to tell me that Matt Rhule realized the value a QB has in the sport of football this year after decades of coaching the game, and ever since then I stopped trying to convince anyone about anything on here lol

Edited by Jorgie
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My specific critiques were that he holds the ball too long when he has time because he's slow to process and he's been inaccurate downfield. Those are the two things he needs to improve on to take his game to the next level. Do you disagree?

A "critique" would be fair-minded and balanced.  I didn't hear any commendation for what he does well (like get us back in the ball game in the 4Q with 2 TDs!)  Yes, there were missed connections; yes, he should get the ball out sooner.  Could you use your access to these advanced stats to enlighten us as to his average Release Time.  If it's low-to-mid 30s, then I'd say that mitigates the underlying basis for your criticism (as opposed to a "critique.")

I think you're over analyzing this. I think with a better line and more time in the system he will make up more missed plays. Even Tom Brady did some bone head things learning a new system and he still won the SB. Let's fix our legendary bad Oline and then I will talk processing. 

• Pie 2

Nice analysis. Typical mouth drooling white knights mucking it up with their triggered responses though.

Sam is solid, and a clear notch above Ted, but his inability to stretch the field will be exposed. Much akin to Bridgewater, when CMAC sat, Teddy’s effectiveness plummeted.

Hes got to start hitting those wide open receivers.

And Joe Brady is goated. He’ll be a HC next year for sure.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My specific critiques were that he holds the ball too long when he has time because he's slow to process and he's been inaccurate downfield. Those are the two things he needs to improve on to take his game to the next level. Do you disagree?

If you're looking at the all-22 in real time I'll concede that point.

Otherwise, like everyone else watching the game on tv, you've no idea what he's looking at. 

• Pie 1

OK, I've got to ask here:  what the heck is processing?  I've seen it around all over the place this season, and especially in regards to Sam Darnold.  Is there a "best" processor in the league?  How does one improve it?  Is it as much a coaching/scheme issue as a player issue?

For me, what I've seen/read/absorbed is we're talking about the ability to play fast.  To hit your mark, throw the ball to the open guy.  Is that pretty correct?  Like when #11 jumped our RB chip and sacked Sam, he didn't "process" fast enough.

I realize NFL athletes are rare individuals.  But would it be easier to "process" if he had half a second more time?  Or as he gets more time in the offense, will he not "process" faster?  After all, isn't that one thing said about older QBs, how they've "seen everything?"

Sorry, this isn't an only Sam Darnold question, but more of how this processing is evaluated in regards to players and coaches.  As far as Sam - I'm pretty happy with him.  He's not perfect, but well worth the 2nd round pick at this point.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

OK, I've got to ask here:  what the heck is processing?  I've seen it around all over the place this season, and especially in regards to Sam Darnold.  Is there a "best" processor in the league?  How does one improve it?  Is it as much a coaching/scheme issue as a player issue?

For me, what I've seen/read/absorbed is we're talking about the ability to play fast.  To hit your mark, throw the ball to the open guy.  Is that pretty correct?  Like when #11 jumped our RB chip and sacked Sam, he didn't "process" fast enough.

I realize NFL athletes are rare individuals.  But would it be easier to "process" if he had half a second more time?  Or as he gets more time in the offense, will he not "process" faster?  After all, isn't that one thing said about older QBs, how they've "seen everything?"

Sorry, this isn't an only Sam Darnold question, but more of how this processing is evaluated in regards to players and coaches.  As far as Sam - I'm pretty happy with him.  He's not perfect, but well worth the 2nd round pick at this point.

Quickly going through reads and making a fast, good decision.

The weird thing is that the more time Darnold has the worse he seems to be. He seems to play his best when the defense forces him into making a quick decision. That was kinda my main point.

A possible observation is he might not trust the time he's getting?

As in the clock in his head is sped up thinking Jesus somebody's going to strip the ball any second I gotta get it out now.

Who knows my guess would be the better we build the line the more everything will slow down for him. Let's hope he grows.

I definitely think he was worth a 2nd.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Quickly going through reads and making a fast, good decision.

The weird thing is that the more time Darnold has the worse he seems to be. He seems to play his best when the defense forces him into making a quick decision. That was kinda my main point.

So who is elite as this task?  Is that something that can be taught?  Or is it a scheme/coaching thing?

I have no issue with that you said, I'm just curious about this "processing" thing as a criticism.

9 hours ago, t96 said:

OP is whining again for no reason, as he does a lot

It’s ok to have an opinion and express it and so he did

no need to attack the Op

Darnold has a lot to prove in the NFL. most young QBs do.  

until the panthers decide to fix the oline, it’s probably pointless to critique him 

I was not a fan of the Darnold decision but I give him a ton of credit  

Yesterday was not his best but the number of hits on him add up after awhile 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, d-dave said:

So who is elite as this task?  Is that something that can be taught?  Or is it a scheme/coaching thing?

I have no issue with that you said, I'm just curious about this "processing" thing as a criticism.

Brady, Dak, Rodgers, Burrow

Those guys come to mind immediately.