• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapaport: Panthers/ Tepper out of Watson deal

FugginPoo

Well u know Watson is going to be paying out big time in settlements and add in he’s guaranteed to make zero sponsorship $ during the rest of his career, the smart business decision is to run to the tax/degenerate haven that Is Florida 

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wouldn't go that far. Panic trading(which is legit what the Watson deal would have been) doesn't help us and the deadline is Nov. 2. 

We have the offseason to make those decisions and the rest of this season to evaluate players to see if they have a future here. At that point then we can figure out what is worth trading and what we can get.

Rhule is toast after all of this, he was barely hanging on before this drama. 

We can get better deals now then later when other teams have more options. I just don't see how things are about to get 2010 bad here now. I'm not banking on Rhule coming back, his decision or Teppers.

Just now, Mage said:

I don't think anyone has reported we aren't interested though.  Just that we pulled out but would likely pull back in the offseason when his legal situation is cleared up.  

But again, as Florio said, that is dependent on the Miami/Houston deal holding up.  If for some reason it broke down later this week, then who knows.  But in all likelihood Watson is not traded until the offseason.

Dolphins aren't making the playoffs either way, Tua is starting to look like a decent QB and they need a lot more pieces before one QB is gonna have them contending with the Bills. I'd bail on the trade if I were them

12 minutes ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

I know La Canfora has questionable credibility, but this is exactly what I see going on from the outside.

One day a trade is imminent.  The next, ehhh, maybe at the deadline.  One day we're the favorite.  The next, it's Miami.  One day Miami is out and decided they like Tua.  The next, they're back in and they're the favorite and we're out.

I don't believe any of it until something is done in ink.  It's a lot of posturing and maneuvering going on with agents and teams trying to drive up the price and/or will Watson to a specific team.  I think we're still in it, but I think this was to call Houston bluff, as I think they were trying to use us to up the bids.  I think it's entirely possible Miami hasn't budged on theirs in weeks and Verge even stated we had the better offer...  and now Florio is still saying it's not even known if Watson had or had not waived his trade clause for us.  So, it seems Houston is scrambling to try to get more than what they've been offered because the market is limited and teams bidding know they have very little leverage, and we are telling them, "Remember you have no leverage.  Call us if you come to your senses."

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am with you 100% but as of right now if they are dead set on getting a qb in this draft I would hold my nose and choose willis just based on rushing alone

I tend to like Pickett more. In the offense we have, we really need a guy that can process the field and make throws really quickly, especially behind this line. There is  bad tape of Willis looking AWFUL when he gets pressured regularly. That is what he would be getting early in his career here.

If we had a different offense(which we may in 2022 at this rate) and a better OL, Willis would make some sense.

Just now, Proudiddy said:

I know La Canfora has questionable credibility, but this is exactly what I see going on from the outside.

One day a trade is imminent.  The next, ehhh, maybe at the deadline.  One day we're the favorite.  The next, it's Miami.  One day Miami is out and decided they like Tua.  The next, there back in and they're the favorite and we're out.

I don't believe any of it until something is done in ink.  It's a lot of posturing and maneuvering going on with agents and teams trying to drive up the price and/or will Watson to a specific team.  I think we're still in it, but I think this was to call Houston bluff, as I think they were trying to use us to up the bids.  I think it's entirely possible Miami hasn't budged on theirs in weeks and Verge even stated we had the better offer...  and now Florio is still saying it's not even known if Watson had or had not waived his trade clause for us.  So, it seems Houston is scrambling to try to get more than what they've been offered because the market is limited and teams bidding know they have very little leverage, and we are telling them, "Remember you have no leverage.  Call us if you come to your senses."

La Canfora is probably the most respected and connected writer on the nfl beat.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, the class is very weak but teams are going to gamble because they are QB desperate. Don't be surprised if we aren't one.

Honestly, if the Cardinals/Jets scenarios have proven anything, it is that these rookie QB contracts make it easy to pivot. It is much more beneficial to play draft QB roulette until you get the right guy. You can dump them in the first couple of years if they don't pan out.

You have to look at the cost you give up of drafting a dud early too. Sure, you can get out of the deal, but what did you lose by burning a top pick on a complete bum?

I don't think those situations are very fair comparisons for the rest of the league, as those teams had top 2 picks. It is going to be impossible for Carolina to be that bad with the talent on the roster, even with Darnold or some similar bum at QB. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I tend to like Pickett more. In the offense we have, we really need a guy that can process the field and make throws really quickly, especially behind this line. There is  bad tape of Willis looking AWFUL when he gets pressured regularly. That is what he would be getting early in his career here.

If we had a different offense(which we may in 2022 at this rate) and a better OL, Willis would make some sense.

I have a feeling after this season our offense now is not going to be our offense in 2022