• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking at the big picture, building a team question

PanthersATL

This team isn’t far off.  We need to resign our major contributors this off-season (Jackson, Reddick, Gilmore) and use FA and our limited draft capital to shore up the OL.  TE is possibly another need depending how Tremble develops.  Beyond that it’s really about building the second and third string, especially at LB and DL.  

It’s year 2 and we are currently 4-4, sitting in the wild card spot, and 2-0 in our division. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

You have to give Rhule more time, he’s in the second year of a rebuild and his first year was blown up by Covid. What I’m looking at more than players is how he does on Sunday. The problems we saw in year one should start to become non-issues as this season plays out if he is actually a capable HC.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Andy Reid traded for and brought in a QB day 1…and then immediately started winning.   5 straight winning seasons as contenders before Mahomes became QB.  They couldn’t get over the hump with Smith being so risk adverse.   But QB always mattered to Reid. 

the KC model was never worry about QB last.  

exactly.

All of this talk about O-line and play calling is rather pointless at this point.  The QB position is exponentially more important than any other position on the filed.  

Think about it, you can have great everything else and if your QB play is bad its still hard to win.  Conversely if you have you have a great QB you always have a chance.

I understood the idea of using so much draft capital on defense but that came at the expense of everything else. More linebacker depth would be great. Otherwise, everything has to be thrown on the offensive side. Now, I've been saying for the longest time that if you look at history, the best chances of obtaining the ultimate prize will usually require either having Tom Brady as your QB or a young QB when you already have most the pieces in place. 

Right now, we have neither and frankly, I don't see a way out other than rebuilding the O-line first. At least give me competence and re-evaluate once we get there. Also, keep drafting late round backs in case CMC becomes a lost cause, preferably ones that can catch.

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Andy Reid traded for and brought in a QB day 1…and then immediately started winning.   5 straight winning seasons as contenders before Mahomes became QB.  They couldn’t get over the hump with Smith being so risk adverse.   But QB always mattered to Reid. 

LOL. Uh, Alex Smith was a reclamation project too, similar to Darnold. They also had a great defense and Jamaal fuging Charles his first two years. They were actually set up a lot like the Panthers are now. Stop pretending like anyone knew that Alex Smith wasn’t going to be a flop again. They’re lucky he ended up being a decent placeholder until they found Mahomes. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

It was apparently worry about QB first, then offensive playmakers, O-line and Defense last.

Edited by BlackPanther21_

I think defense was the natural place to start the rebuild, but it was at the expense of the offense. My only criticism on the draft with this staff is it could have been better balanced, now that the secondary is nearly built, you have to wonder about the Horn pick. No doubt he can be a shut down but we could have added an important piece to this offense. But we didn't and Sam is most likely mistake but they had to try something.

so we run and play solid D for now and maybe we can scheme our way to a better passing game. 

I feel better this year than last when we couldn't stop other offenses or score in the late quarters. Sure, its hard to watch- that's what rebuilding means, but we are heading in the right direction. Hubbard and Tremble have done well as rookies and Marshall and Smith will start to contribute soon. And except for some depth issues, the D is looking good.

we'll be better than 5-11 this year.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, AviationMX said:

I think defense was the natural place to start the rebuild, but it was at the expense of the offense. My only criticism on the draft with this staff is it could have been better balanced, now that the secondary is nearly built, you have to wonder about the Horn pick. No doubt he can be a shut down but we could have added an important piece to this offense. But we didn't and Sam is most likely mistake but they had to try something.

so we run and play solid D for now and maybe we can scheme our way to a better passing game. 

I feel better this year than last when we couldn't stop other offenses or score in the late quarters. Sure, its hard to watch- that's what rebuilding means, but we are heading in the right direction. Hubbard and Tremble have done well as rookies and Marshall and Smith will start to contribute soon. And except for some depth issues, the D is looking good.

we'll be better than 5-11 this year.

Last year was a lot easier to watch than this year, TBH. Our offense was far better last year and that kept things interesting for most of the game, although you knew a choke was likely coming. This year has been rough. We are shooting ourselves in the foot left right and center. It's awful.

• Flames 1

We are trending up, except for the two positions that are the hardest to fill in todays NFL...QB and O Line.

Rhule is OK in my book, nothing terrible, nothing great...but he can grow, and we better hope he does.

Fitt is in year 1, and had a really good draft and a decent year in FA.  Don't love the O Line acquisitions, but finding good OL on the streets is damn near impossible in the NFL.

Tepper, not happy with, and will likely be a LONG time before I am....if ever.

I'm pretty sure that Rhule and Fitt know that winning the division this season was a LONG SHOT with Tampa still firing on all cylinders...and I think they have theirs eyes on next season.

QB I'm not as worried about as regimes in the past.  We were legit trying to get a top flight QB, and just couldn't land the plane...but we were trying like hell.  Had LA not offered up 2 ones...we likely have Stafford, had Watson not been a complete dumbass and weirdo, he would be here.

I keep saying to keep your eyes open for us to go after another top flight QB this coming off season...Watson, Rodgers, Russell, etc....

I'm not convinced that this regime was all in on Teddy, and I'm pretty sure Sam was a placeholder with tremendous upside....if you could tap into it...looks like that upside may never materialize...or at least not here.

I'm not happy with the team on the field, but I'm happy with the trajectory.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

@4Corners just curious how come you shitted his post? The guy put some thought into it supported by some facts and some of his opinions. What was the deal with this post being so "dookie" like? Seemed to be one of the more at least potentially decent posts lately just trying to influence some chatter.

If you haven't figured it out, @4Corners is basically the dumbest and most useless poster on the Huddle and that is saying a lot.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

If you haven't figured it out, @4Corners is basically the dumbest and most useless poster on the Huddle and that is saying a lot.

That's quite an award earned there being that there are some real goof ball ass hats that I've seen post here over the years. Hell, I guess me as well at times when I have been argumentative unfortunately.