• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Cam get a long term deal if he plays well the rest of the season?

KillaCamNewton

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yes.  If he plays well you bring him back.  You then draft a kid.  Let him learn behind Cam.  Obviously you don't give Cam a mega deal.  But you pay him very well in short increments. 

Basically what we should of done this whole time.  Kept Cam.  Paid him well on shorter contracts as we monitored his health.  Drafted Fields.   Fields learns behind Cam in an offense that would have already been slanted to what you would want to do with Fields. 

What they should’ve done is prepare for Cam’s departure before it was necessary but looking likely

it wasn’t a surprise when Cam went out there and got hurt again his final season. we knew it was a good QB class well in advance. 

we had people on this board, yes, me, but many others as well saying to look ahead

but they didnt

and then they didn’t again when Bridgewaters failure was predictable 

and then they didn’t again when Darnolds failure was inevitable 

so forgive me if I have a bigger bone to pick with the team than most may feel proportionate

Edited by Growl

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

What they should’ve done is prepare for Cam’s departure before it was necessary but looking likely

I’m not sure you’ll find many folks that would or even could argue with this and keep a straight face.

But… the team didn’t do it.  They screwed the pooch.  Almost the same way they did Smitty.  Nothing to do about it now.

5 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

If this team lets him walk AGAIN?!? I’m totally done.  Take all my poo, my collection, almost 3 decades of jerseys all the way back to Frank Reich and up to JayCee.  My photos, my autographs, my inaugural coin, my Death Valley ticket stubs, my sideline Gatorade cup from the ‘13 game in ATL when we won the division, the books, the cards, the programs.

The last nearly 30 years of my life.  Burn it.

Amen

Look, the first time he wasn't worth what he was asking (100 mil +) after his injuries but that does not cover up for the crap handling of it all. They should let him test the market and see if he would come back on a 2 year decent deal. 

I think a couple of years with good money but an out after 2 years would be the goal if he plays good. Two years and OK money for a QB if he just plays well. 

Hopefully both sides are a lot more realistic and this is a great new beginning for us all. 

I just can't think about all of Darnold's 2022 wasted cap space and how that plays into this conversation yet, I just can't yet. 

• Pie 3

It’s why I wanted a 3 or 4 year deal for Cam just like he wanted. We should’ve been following the Green Bay model. Drafted fields with Cam still on the roster. And have him get mentored by one of his idols. Cam is a great teammate and would’ve taught him how to be a pro. We still have the chance to do that with another QB. Hope we sign him to a multi year deal in the off-season. And if they don’t like the qbs in this upcoming class then draft one next year. Get Darnold off this team ASAP. Bring in another competent vet next year for a backup role if we don’t draft a qb. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1