• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observer article by Ellis Williams. How the Panthers got here

raleigh-panther

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I only agree with this sentiment like 60%. On the surface Fitterer looks like a good GM but he was hired to be essentially a yes-man to Rhule and Tepper. Or does he step up into his own after Rhule is gone?

It's not just Fitterer. It's Fitterer and Morgan.

The two of them aren't just coworkers. They're close personal friends with a great working relationship.

I wanna see what that combo can do when they're not beholden to a college coach.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Leave Morgan and Fitt alone until they have proven that they cannot handle the job.

Rhule has proven that he cannot, he should be relieved of his duty at the conclusion of the season.

Tepper needs to fix the structure, and let Fitt and Morgan do their jobs and select a coach.

Then...Tepper needs to go to Pittsburgh and cut off all communication with the team...we may have a chance if he does that.  Otherwise, we are the new Jets/Jags.

• Pie 3

Fitterer and Morgan, if connected at the hip, then are responsible for the offensive line, the Anderson extension, the Darnold trade and extension, the rather lousy draft we had for 2021, trading for cornerbacks that we couldn't play immediately, stripping us bare of draft picks next year, and putting us into some squeezes when it comes to who we extend next season. Let's not even talk about the special teams problems in finding a kicker.

I like Dan Morgan, but it may be more for the fact that he wore a Panthers uniform than anything else. Then again, there are a lot of folks I like but aren't big fans of their close friends. If keeping Morgan means we keep Fitterer, then I think we hand 'em both apples and put them on a bus out of town. 

These guys, Fitterer and Rhule, can't be allowed to continue this Confederacy of Dunces running the Panthers. Bad performance won't get the owner of the team fired, but it should get his chosen people fired. 

And, dang, that article was both spot on and brave for a new writer to do. More power to him!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Fitterer and Morgan, if connected at the hip, then are responsible for the offensive line, the Anderson extension, the Darnold trade and extension, the rather lousy draft we had for 2021, trading for cornerbacks that we couldn't play immediately, stripping us bare of draft picks next year, and putting us into some squeezes when it comes to who we extend next season. Let's not even talk about the special teams problems in finding a kicker.

I like Dan Morgan, but it may be more for the fact that he wore a Panthers uniform than anything else. Then again, there are a lot of folks I like but aren't big fans of their close friends. If keeping Morgan means we keep Fitterer, then I think we hand 'em both apples and put them on a bus out of town. 

These guys, Fitterer and Rhule, can't be allowed to continue this Confederacy of Dunces running the Panthers. Bad performance won't get the owner of the team fired, but it should get his chosen people fired. 

And, dang, that article was both spot on and brave for a new writer to do. More power to him!

Morgan wasn’t here when they was looking at trading for Darnold was he?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Morgan wasn't hired until May. By that time most of our offseason work was already done.

Fitterer is primarily a college scouting guy. Morgan's background is in pro personnel.

As I said, I wanna see what that combo can do with a full offseason and no hindrance from a head coach who's out of his depth.

• Pie 3

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not just Fitterer. It's Fitterer and Morgan.

The two of them aren't just coworkers. They're close personal friends with a great working relationship.

I wanna see what that combo can do when they're not beholden to a college coach.

How do you know they are “close personal friends” 

Lol. Fitts is such a weak GM candidate but it was all Rhule according to some. Go look at some of the people we looked at when Hurney was here, then when we were looking for a GM to be under Rhule and then at some of the options if none of those blunders had happened...Fitts is part of the problem. Another weak hire to go with the rest of the weak hires since the '5 year plan' was announced. We hired a longtime 'good working friend' out of an organization that can't win with a franchise QB this year because they made such bad personnel and draft choices in the last 5 years. 

All of this is Tepper's fault for not firing Hurney with Ron and hiring someone competent, leading to a chain of incompetence we are seeing organizationally wide ATM.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

New coach? Ja!

New GM? Nein 😑

Fitterer was infinitely more qualified for his job than Rhule was for his, but Tepper stupidly gave Rhule full control.

I agree.  Firing the GM at this point is silly.  GM's should be judged on long term success, not a specific season.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 3

22 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Each passing day I want Rhule as my team's head coach less and less. 

I was a fan of the Rhule hire. I even defended him a few weeks ago, but no more. It’s becoming obvious he’s in way over his head. I bought into “he can build a program” label, but he’s sinking this franchise for the near future. He and his entire staff needs to go back to college where they belong. 

• Pie 2

Considering the FA classes, it's super unfortunate that if we go QB R1, we have to wait until R4 for a OL at the least (or mortgage more future picks to move up).  And on the flipside, no QB1, then we're stuck with picking from a god awful crop of FAs and potential pickups.  

That's the most frustrating thing.  The confidence in their trade for Sam combined with the sudden switch to win-now mode after starting 3-0 to acquire Henderson f*cked it up.  Overconfidence when they should have taken a sober look that we won despite the offense.  I mean, the NYJ almost came back and beat us Week 1.  

• Flames 2