• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Black Monday

NAS

OK I've made them in other threads but here are my official predictions:

- Rhule is kept for another full season, regardless of record even if it's 0-17
- At least two of McCaffrey, Moore and Burns are not on the team by this time next year
- None of the draft picks acquired for them will amount to anything more than backups
- Rhule will trade the 2023 FRP for a 2022 FRP in the 15-25 range, where he'll pick an OL
- Rhule will use the No. 5-6 overall pick on Sam Howell
- Week 1 depth chart: Sam Darnold/Sam Howell or PJ Walker

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

yeah lets just throw all that away and start the rebuild from year one…. Again

I do not disagree with some of your statements concerning year one. But year 2 has really been a doozy. What has Robby done this year after getting the Big Contract? Sam Darnold (I can't say how big of a setback that has been). The complete failure of the OL and of this staff to make meaningful adjustments in game and in preparation for games. Our offensive scheme is such a joke. 

Year 1 was pretty good by some standards. That led to Year 2 which very likely has setback the rebuild. Year 2 and the outlook for Year 3 are the reasons why Rhule is on the Hot Seat. 

• Pie 1

Headline.   Matt Rhule experiment ends in Carolina 

justification.  Tepper, who is not known for being silent, has not publicly said one thing on this matter.  Nothing    If he were as sold on Rhule as we think, that piece from Person would not have been published.   He is not deaf to what the public is saying 

• Pie 2

Josh Klein made a pretty good point...

Tepper fired Rivera with four games left so that he could get a head start on coaching interviews. This year, the league gave teams an even better chance at that by opening the two-week interview window.

That, plus the fact that two teams already had a pretty good jump on everybody else would have seemingly made it likely that Tepper was going to do a similar thing with Matt Rhule.

But he didn't.

Maybe there are behind the scenes reasons. Maybe he doesn't want to have the reputation of being an owner who fires guys mid-season.

Or maybe it's because he doesn't plan on firing a Rhule at all 😕

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Josh Klein made a pretty good point...

Tepper fired Rivera with four games left so that he could get a head start on coaching interviews. This year, the league gave teams an even better chance at that by opening the two-week interview window.

That, plus the fact that two teams already had a pretty good jump on everybody else would have seemingly made it likely that Tepper was going to do a similar thing with Matt Rhule.

But he didn't.

Maybe there are behind the scenes reasons. Maybe he doesn't want to have the reputation of being an owner who fires guys mid-season.

Or maybe it's because he doesn't plan on firing a Rhule at all 😕

The whole getting a jump thing is a tad overblown IMO.  Because you are largely getting a jump on college guys, the unemployed who have long been out there and guys employed by bad NFL teams.  

Tepper got a jump on being able to go after Matt Rhule.   Firing Matt Rhule in season doesn’t give him a jump on going after the crop of guys coaching for good NFL playoff teams. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

So are we just throwing out everything he did in year one? Taking a dumpster team with 14 playera left from the last regime, building an elite defense, bringing in 12 sack Reddick and 1200 yard receiver Robby Anderson? Being competitive in every game with bum ass Bridgewater at QB. Trying to aggressively trade for a real franchise QB multiple times (Stafford, Watson), his #8 overall pick and our star player being out his entire tenure (thanks to Rivera running him into the ground? Are we gonna forget him turning 2-10 Temple (whose fans absolutely poo on him in year 2) to an 11 win team & Baylor, who had one won the year before to an 11 won team facing Oklahoma in the Big12 championship?

I was against Rhule staying, but I like how you layed it out here. 

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

The whole getting a jump thing is a tad overblown IMO.  Because you are largely getting a jump on college guys, the unemployed who have long been out there and guys employed by bad NFL teams.  

Tepper got a jump on being able to go after Matt Rhule.   Firing Matt Rhule in season doesn’t give him a jump on going after the crop of guys coaching for good NFL playoff teams. 

It's not so much a question of whether it works as it is whether Tepper thinks it works.

He believed it when he fired Rivera, at least. Does he still believe it? Don't know.

Apparently no one else does since nobody took advantage of that procedural change except a team that had already fired its coach.

32 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

So are we just throwing out everything he did in year one? Taking a dumpster team with 14 playera left from the last regime, building an elite defense, bringing in 12 sack Reddick and 1200 yard receiver Robby Anderson? Being competitive in every game with bum ass Bridgewater at QB. Trying to aggressively trade for a real franchise QB multiple times (Stafford, Watson), his #8 overall pick and our star player being out his entire tenure (thanks to Rivera running him into the ground? Are we gonna forget him turning 2-10 Temple (whose fans absolutely poo on him in year 2) to an 11 win team & Baylor, who had one won the year before to an 11 won team facing Oklahoma in the Big12 championship?

Robby is a 400 yard WR with a year of tape on this O. 

Rhule also had advantages built into the 2020 season thanks to covid.   We only talk about the disadvantages everyone faced.  The entire league was blind to everything about this team.  Offense.  Defense.    That’s an edge.   

Baylor was a great program that got punished.  And went right back to being what they were in the Big12.   Rhule gets way too much credit for that IMO. 

• Pie 4

I have no doubt in my mind he is coming back and all headlines I've read or seen point to just that. I actually have a feeling he accidentally coaches us to about a .500 record or close next season and Tepper ends up hanging onto him for two more seasons counting next season. Brace yourselves, we have two more years of this goof ball I fear.

1 hour ago, Kraybrothers said:

We never started rebuild, and Robby is just Fhules little temple bitch. They can handle pressure from fans, then they will never handle pressure in big games.

On firing Rhule early:

Could it really be done?  I may be wrong, but I feel like 80% of the interim staff would defect, were he to be fired midseason.  I mean I've never played in the NFL.  I don't know if you could run a football team with 3-4 coaches, but I'm guessing it's not possible.

I'm holding out hope that Rhule will be fired after the last game.  To me, the Cam signing and the Brady firing were a turning point for Rhule.  I have no other evidence for this, but I believe Rhule had to do something this season to save his job.  Otherwise, I don't see the point of firing Brady before the end of the season.  That's not enough time to implement a new offense.

I also assume that Tepper does not want to be perceived as an impatient guy that will fire a good coach too soon.  He's waiting until the wheels are completely off before he makes his move.  That way, the entire fan base will be on his side when he does.

Either that, or Tepper's a moron and we are potentially fugged for decades.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Kraybrothers said:

Yup, we are tossing out what he did in year 1... Which for clarity was go 2-9 over the last 11 games of the season. And dump a low end starter he had in 2020 for a total dumpster fire of a QB.

The real reason is the simple and plain regression visible across the roster.  What players Rhule brought in actually look better in year 2 than 1? What players look worse?  Which units showes strong improvement down the stretch? If Rhule is a great coach some part of the team should show that... It doesn't.  Hell, our most improved unit is special teams, all cause we lucked into a kick returner that doesn't fumble and an incredible (and now injured) kicker.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 2

It’s very hard for me to believe Rhule will contend with one draft pick that matters and 30 mil cap space with players like Reddick needing to be signed…not to mention not poo at QB which was a result of his ‘process’.

And I can’t see how anyone with two brain cells to rub together can help possibly, in any capacity, not see that.

In fact I think fans are getting carried away thinking he will be retained, I mean Tep would need to be on otherworldly level of stupid.

Let’s wait and see. Personally, I think he’s gone.