• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Henderson's Tampa performance. Could he become a force in 2022?

SCO96

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Maybe, maybe not. There will be OL who are cut that won't count towards the comp pick formula, also potential trades. Can also bank the cap space and spend in 2023

Certainly plausible. But signing released olinemen gets you the Irving's and Elfliens of the world. 

Rolling it into 2023 would put us in the same spot next year with a looming decision on a guy like DJ Moore. If he walks are we gonna lose a comp pick by spending. 

Id rather they throw money at the proven commodities out there. A potential 3rd comp that we may or may not get isn't worth not fixing the line, at least not in my eyes. 

We'll see what the team decides to do. 

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

The issue with this is we can't invest cap space into the OL and still net comp picks from Gilmore/Jackson. Theyre going to cancel each other out. 

I would hate to lose comp picks but if means obtaining and building  solid OL i am all for it.

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Taylor, Horn, and Henderson is a good set of corners...I believe.

We will likely need to let Gilmore and Jackson leave to invest in OL...and I hope that's what we do.

Horn and Henderson are almost identical in measurables, and they have similar playing styles as well. Both are comfortable in man coverage, which is a likely reason why the Panthers chose Henderson as Horn’s replacement.

14 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

I would hate to lose comp picks but if means obtaining and building  solid OL i am all for it.

100% agreed. 

If you're going to miss out on the comp pick go get a proven LT like Terron Armstead. Don't waste it on a middling talent that isn't going to make the team better.

(Like losing a 3rd from Bradberry by giving Teddy 20 mil/year when Cam was already on the roster)

• Pie 1

The Henderson trade was always pitched as a move that helps us in the future. He was washing himself of Urban Meyer and when we got him he was injured. I’m glad he’s gotten reps and shown the talent he’s always had looking forward to seeing him out there next season with Horn. 

Why do folks act as if we can't sign whoever we want. Cap space is easy to manipulate so we have plenty if we structure it properly. And honestly after giving Tepper lots of money for a crappy product I am fine with him spending a ton to upgrade this team. He owes us given this is year five coming up and we have had no winning seasons to show for it. Finally in this division the secondary is critical and we had tons of injuries. We need as many talented players as we can get.

With that said if it is between Jackson and Gilmore give me Gilmore. Jackson plays small and can't defend larger receivers like Gilmore can. 

Edited by panthers55
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I honestly think if the pick traded for him or for Darnold hadnt been the same year it'd be looked at differently...

I don't think the trade for CJ was necessarily bad. But I do think he (and Horn) are why Gilmore is important to retain for another year if possible. Our coaches blow but Gilmore does not. He can show them a ton.

Agree 100%.  Henderson looked better near the end of the year and Horn looked good before injury.  Gilmore is a former DPOY so they already gravitate towards the guy.  If he wants to come back, please make it happen. It’d be invaluable for the young guys who need that kind of experience around them

• Pie 1