• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A few answers from The Athletic's mailbag

Mr. Scot

If Rhule loses and is actually given a 4th or 5th year, or god forbid all 7, it will be the first time this has ever happened in the NFL. 
I know coaches that have stayed on max a 4th year after having 3 losing season, but usually they always get fired during the season. 
I really feel like Tepper and Rhule is treating this franchise like a college team. 
In college Rhule would get till the end of his contract to turn the team around. 
This is unprecedented if Rhule actually completes his contract even if he only has losing seasons. 

• Beer 2

45 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

A personnel official with another NFC team said the Panthers’ top four trade chips are Christian McCaffrey, receiver D.J. Moore, defensive end Brian Burns and linebacker Shaq Thompson. And though Fitterer said he’s not looking to trade McCaffrey, he indicated he would listen to offers for everyone, the All-Pro running back included.

The only one I would be good with trading is CMC. The guy can't stay healthy and we can't count on him anymore. I might be ok with trading Burns but only if we keep Reddick. 

This is all bad news and all very negative. What a clusterfug. Ohh well. Rome wasn't built in a day but a bowl full of dookie sure is and we are not watching Rome get built here. 

Keeping Anderson while trading Moore is beyond stupid. Either CB over Reddick is stupid. Tepper thinking he can ghost on this mess and won't have his soccer team or anything else publicly ridiculed is naïve and I look forward to the shame that flies his way. 

This team is being run by morons from top to bottom and it's just accepted now. Sad days but I guess the poop has to go somewhere. 

Fug'em all. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

If Rhule loses and is actually given a 4th or 5th year, or god forbid all 7, it will be the first time this has ever happened in the NFL. 
I know coaches that have stayed on max a 4th year after having 3 losing season, but usually they always get fired during the season. 
I really feel like Tepper and Rhule is treating this franchise like a college team. 
In college Rhule would get till the end of his contract to turn the team around. 
This is unprecedented if Rhule actually completes his contract even if he only has losing seasons. 

Yeah the fact that Rhule is doing the OC search on his own is interesting. It can go either way though, Tepper giving him one last chance with no one else to blame and if it doesn't work out he's gone. Or Tepper just being patient/too stubborn to admit he picked the wrong HC and they're both going to try to force it into success so they can brag about how "the long, hard process" paid off

• Pie 2

It's looking like that we're in a wasted year, no matter what we do, unless we trade some assets and modify our core profoundly. Not enough money, not enough day 1 and 2 draft picks. Darnold on the books to the tune of 18 mil...🤦🏽‍♂️

We may have to view this season as a total reset, or we're going to trade away some high profile players (with an "s") to try and have any semblance of a competitive team in 2022. Now, in your gut, what do you think Rhule and company are going to do?

We are behind schedule due to two wasted years in the Rhule era. The reset should've happened when they overpaid for Teddy. That started a bad cycle of overspending for faux competitiveness. Now, we're in a helluva pickle. Hard decisions will have to be made!

Ironically, if Rhule felt secure, we may ultimately be better off, but how can he? Basically, we need time.

Edited by top dawg