• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Promotion for Suluiman

BurnNChinn

•  

Panthers promote salary cap manager Samir Suleiman

JANUARY 26, 2022 BY DARIN GANTT

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers have promoted director of player negotiations and salary cap manager Samir Suleiman, rewarding a key member of the front office.

Suleiman has been named vice president of football administration.

General manager Scott Fitterer said that in this new position, Suleiman would have an expanded role in the budgeting and finance function of the football operation.

Suleiman, 46, has been on a number of lists in recent years as a potential NFL general manager candidate.

He came to the Panthers after eight years with the Steelers, and has also worked for the Rams and Jaguars.

“Samir’s been instrumental for us over the past year,” Fitterer said. “From signing Haason Reddick and other free agents last offseason, he’s done a great job for us. We rely on him and his ability to manage the salary cap every day, and he’s a big part of what we do here.”

The Panthers have leaned toward shorter-term contracts in the last year, offering cap flexibility as they restock the roster around young players.

Fitterer said that Suleiman could also help the front office in player evaluation. His experience in free agency from years of negotiating contracts helps them consider value in the market, and which moves they can make.

Yeah took the Saints something like 15 years until their cap situation got out of control. Yes every couple decades you have get it back in check with a tear down.

By time we get to the point the Saints are in, a lot of y'all old bitchy folks will be dead.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

Yeah took the Saints something like 15 years until their cap situation got out of control. Yes every couple decades you have get it back in check with a tear down.

By time we get to the point the Saints are in, a lot of y'all old bitchy folks will be dead.

Saints have had super teams for decades with this and we dabble in it on three contracts and huddlers lose their mind 😂😂😂

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

You have no idea what you are talking about and why did you respond to me? I don't consider you an expert and no one else on here does.

Of course not. It’s all a myth isn’t it? That’s why you have to ask stupid questions about it because you are unable to comprehend it. It would worry me if you thought I was an expert. Yet I have years of posts going back years to prove every word I have ever said about the cap. And one of the only other posters with similar knowledge has. Back it up with his. ITT. Go sit down and let the adults discuss money. 

6 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

Saints have had super teams for decades with this and we dabble in it on three contracts and huddlers lose their mind 😂😂😂

Decades? Typical. They invented bags on the heads for fans. And did this because they had a SB winning HOF QB. Not a bottom 5 team trying to be a bottom 10 team. 

When do we get the effective cap space bonus you made up. Tell us more about what you know. We can let @stbugsdecide who is “slow” on this or any cap issue. 

16 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Hell yeah! Who was the nerd that was chasing me around on the message board claiming I was making poo up about Samir being a badass and great at his job?

So how did calling me out work for you? Should we send the issue to OTC or Sportrac? Any other theories you want to call someone out on and get embarrassed. This was cool. Thanks. 

Look, as long as their future years to borrow from, then there is always money available for right now. There are unlimited future years so the cap is essentially unlimited. I'm glad our front office has figured that out. You do have to be smart about it or it will catch up to you at some point. It takes about 20+ years to kick it down the road so far that you can't afford to field a team, but if a team handles their borrowing from the future well, it can be done unlimitedly and indefinitely.

We are nowhere near the point of where we need start worrying about reduced future cap. I'm in my 40s and it's very possible that it won't be an issue in my lifetime as long as they aren't restructuring everyone on the roster every year and adding voided years to every new contract.

Most fans don't really care about the cap. I would rather watch a great team that's competitive than watch an awful team with slightly above average cap space. 

I've never seen someone with a "cap space" jersey on.

Edited by Shotgun
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Oh, I agree. My points were that restructuring never creates more cap space and never creates more flexibility. Restructuring is done to push cap space out so you can sign more people that year and stay under the cap. It also means that the restructured players have to be kept longer than their original guaranteed money. We couldn’t get rid of Shaq and CMC earlier as it was portrayed. If we wanted to do that, restructuring took away a year or two that could have been saved cap wise.

Restructuring can also use existing cap space to make future cap space better. Robbie could be an example there, right?

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not really. Applying more to Robby’s 2021 cap hit just takes away that same amount from the rollover. With cap rollover, it really doesn’t matter. If we applied that money to Robby’s 2022 cap hit then we would have had a higher rollover by the exact same amount. What makes Robby’s deal bad is that before his poo season, we basically gave him a $20.5M 1 year deal or a $29.5M 2 year deal. Neither of which are close to appropriate value for current Robby. Based on top average salaries for WRs, if we cut him after 2022, we will have given him 1 year as the #3 paid WR. His 2 year deal has him as #17. #18 is Diggs, #13 is Kupp.

But he played at Temple, which makes it worth every penny.

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Most fans don't really care about the cap. I would rather watch a great team that's competitive than watch an awful team with slightly above average cap space. 

I've never seen someone with a "cap space" jersey on.

when I tell you there are people here who would genuinely like to see playoff seeding determined by cap space I am not kidding

no forum for any fanbase for any team cares as much about it as the people here do