• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coach Hiring Due Diligence

Towelboy

27 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

yeah everyone is making that claim now. 

You need to go back and look at all that. You can quote old post, you know when he was signed and there were threads on it. It's there and there were plenty of concerns and dislike with hope for the best thrown in. Some liked it, some did not. 

So basically, the Vikings passed up on a rare opportunity to lure a proven successful HC back to the NFL because some kid sold them on keeping Kirk Cousins and contending immediately... LOL Good luck with that. As bad as the Panthers have been run, the Vikings are right down there with us.

• Beer 2

That is a good post there. Mr. Towelboy. As a old Vikings fan before Panthers. I have kept up with that story. It was an amazing turn of events. You also just might be on to something. Now is the time to prove that you want to be here and turn this around.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

You need to go back and look at all that. You can quote old post, you know when he was signed and there were threads on it. It's there and there were plenty of concerns and dislike with hope for the best thrown in. Some liked it, some did not. 

I dont come to this forum to try to dunk on people or score internet points. Point I was making is thats its easy for people to now say "I told you he was crap" when the reality is none of us have any decision making ability with the team and he was a top candidate at the time. 

Seems like so many people here just wait for the team to fail so they can say 'i told you so'

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont come to this forum to try to dunk on people or score internet points. Point I was making is thats its easy for people to now say "I told you he was crap" when the reality is none of us have any decision making ability with the team and he was a top candidate at the time. 

Seems like so many people here just wait for the team to fail so they can say 'i told you so'

Ohh it wasn't about dunking just that you remembered wrong. Wanting the team to fail and expecting it to for the stated reasons is also completely different. 

2 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

You might not like the hire but Rhule was one of the top coaching candidates that hiring cycle. 

At the time we were all thrilled to get him. 

Not everyone. I posted a thread that nepotism would torpedo the Matt Rhule era before it began the week he was hired. I didn’t understand the hype around Rhule given his lack of experience and the fact he didn’t beat a single ranked team at Baylor. Then reports that he was just going to bring over his Baylor coaching staff made me realize he had a very high chance to be a failure. 

Two years later we all know Rhule sucks and should have been fired after the 2021 season. Fitterer and Morgan should have been given the chance to hire the next head coach. 

The Panthers are a mess and I don’t even think the worst of it has happened yet. Pending a miracle the 2022 season will be an unmitigated disaster.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Not everyone. I posted a thread that nepotism would torpedo the Matt Rhule era before it began the week he was hired. I didn’t understand the hype around Rhule given his lack of experience and the fact he didn’t beat a single ranked team at Baylor. Then reports that he was just going to bring over his Baylor coaching staff made me realize he had a very high chance to be a failure. 

Two years later we all know Rhule sucks and should have been fired after the 2021 season. Fitterer and Morgan should have been given the chance to hire the next head coach. 

The Panthers are a mess and I don’t even think the worst of it has happened yet. Pending a miracle the 2022 season will be an unmitigated disaster.

I gave him a chance to prove himself and I was excited by the hype.. but my analytics are don't hire a ***** college coach and damn sure not under the  recommendation of hurney..

3 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

You might not like the hire but Rhule was one of the top coaching candidates that hiring cycle. 

Same was said about every Jets QB picked high in the draft.

Most of these gurus have absolutely no f'n idea and the Jets were suckers every time.

Our formula should have started with the word "professional".

Edited by rippadonn

4 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

I've said it before, bad teams get regular high draft picks and are always in on the hot new coaching prospect. They are, as a group, suckers and even when they do it hit right, they can't do a thing with what they have (Detroit with Stafford for example, or Megatron, or Barry Sanders, or....).

Bad teams stay bad because they make bad decisions. As a group they also create a lot of buzz over coaches and players they want creating an artificial lift for those candidates.

Before we are to blame Hurney too much (and he is a manager with some serious flaws) he was at the helm during the tenures of both Fox and Rivera, two coaches who brought the Panthers to the Super Bowl each. Still new as a manager at the time of the Fox hiring, his prior positions within the organization meant he was involved in the search and hiring process to at least some degree. The Rivera hiring was fully on his watch. But really, the hiring of coaches rests almost entirely on the owner's shoulders and final say often goes through them.

Jerry Richardson had made some bad coaching choices and Fox was his third one. It was pretty obvious that JR had learned some lessons by then. After that set up soured and a new generation of players moved to take over the team, he made another good move in hiring the defensive minded, conservative Rivera. That one proved well for the team again.

While with the Rhule courtship, Hurney was a big supporter, I think he's been given to heavy of a role in the decision making process than most lame duck, definitely out-going mangers would be. And I don't think he had anything to do with the abrupt end of the search and the "pay him anything to sign now" approach. That reeks of a rash decision made by someone with money burning a hole in their pocket and wanting to make a big splash.

Tepper went plop instead.

And to bring this back around, here we are, for the third season in a row, picking in the top 10, coming off a lousy season and looking at the pretty blinking lights of the coaching carousel as it spins. Right now, we're in there with the losers. We've been here long enough now that we almost have our own spot on the bench.

Hey, Detroit, what did your Mom pack for your lunch today? Peanut butter and sardine sandwich? Whew. Jets? Half a pack of menthol cigs and a diet Coke? Jacksonville? Your new "uncle" gave you a fiver at the breakfast table and said to treat yourself today? Indy would you stop "eating" your Jell-o with a straw you're making Houston queasy again.

season 4 lunch room GIF

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I've said it before, bad teams get regular high draft picks and are always in on the hot new coaching prospect. They are, as a group, suckers and even when they do it hit right, they can't do a thing with what they have (Detroit with Stafford for example, or Megatron, or Barry Sanders, or....).

Bad teams stay bad because they make bad decisions. As a group they also create a lot of buzz over coaches and players they want creating an artificial lift for those candidates.

Before we are to blame Hurney too much (and he is a manager with some serious flaws) he was at the helm during the tenures of both Fox and Rivera, two coaches who brought the Panthers to the Super Bowl each. Still new as a manager at the time of the Fox hiring, his prior positions within the organization meant he was involved in the search and hiring process to at least some degree. The Rivera hiring was fully on his watch. But really, the hiring of coaches rests almost entirely on the owner's shoulders and final say often goes through them.

Jerry Richardson had made some bad coaching choices and Fox was his third one. It was pretty obvious that JR had learned some lessons by then. After that set up soured and a new generation of players moved to take over the team, he made another good move in hiring the defensive minded, conservative Rivera. That one proved well for the team again.

While with the Rhule courtship, Hurney was a big supporter, I think he's been given to heavy of a role in the decision making process than most lame duck, definitely out-going mangers would be. And I don't think he had anything to do with the abrupt end of the search and the "pay him anything to sign now" approach. That reeks of a rash decision made by someone with money burning a hole in their pocket and wanting to make a big splash.

Tepper went plop instead.

And to bring this back around, here we are, for the third season in a row, picking in the top 10, coming off a lousy season and looking at the pretty blinking lights of the coaching carousel as it spins. Right now, we're in there with the losers. We've been here long enough now that we almost have our own spot on the bench.

Hey, Detroit, what did your Mom pack for your lunch today? Peanut butter and sardine sandwich? Whew. Jets? Half a pack of menthol cigs and a diet Coke? Jacksonville? Your new "uncle" gave you a fiver at the breakfast table and said to treat yourself today? Indy would you stop "eating" your Jell-o with a straw you're making Houston queasy again.

season 4 lunch room GIF

Well said. 

• Pie 1