• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Worst Kept Secret at the Senior bowl (Panthers Interest in Pickett)

ncfan

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was saying down the stretch that Fitts absolutely needs to go along with Rhule. No GM willing to take a job baby sitting a college coach who has final say on all football matters is simply not a GM worth having. Hell, it's not a GM at all. The guy doesn't even negotiate contracts. He's just the head scout with a GM title.

Head scout and trade maker...so not good at all.

We need to clean house but Tepper also needs a competent consultant that can hold his hand and help clean up this mess. He will 100% lean on someone else that is taking advantage of his complete lack of knowledge. Hurney, Rhule then maybe Fitt or Suliman? I don't know but the answer is not in house right now. 

• Pie 1

In the real world a 5 year starter gets a look in the 3 round or so like Russ Wilson.

You don't draft a guy like that at #6, you just don't.

That's foolishness.

Physical tools. Measurables, Upside. Youth(rookie contract) None of those things applies to Pickett.

Aside from all the hype and looking through the QB Class, this metric applies to Carson Strong. Upside. Big arm. Just enough height and weight to help him flourish. To me his height puts him above Howell, Willis. His arm puts him ahead of Pickett by far.

Stats: 4186 yds, 36tds, 8ints

This is the dark horse. He should be at the top. Plus he's only a junior. That's upside and something you can and should hitch your franchise to.

A fifth year senior?! Absolutely ludicrous. Clown move.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

53 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I dunno about exciting and young, not a good season til his 5th year. Only a year younger than Darnold. Now Willis yes, exciting and young that was mentored by Cam

By young I mean in NFL experience, he will be a rookie, don't care about the age, point is he'll be an unknown in the NFL with true upside. Our other QBs except for Cam have been unknowns without much upside (Allen, Heinicke, Grier, PJ) or known quantities who have proven to suck in this league (Teddy, Sam).

55 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I dunno about exciting and young, not a good season til his 5th year. Only a year younger than Darnold. Now Willis yes, exciting and young that was mentored by Cam

Bengals could've said the exact same thing and not taken Burrow because of that

I’m down for throwing darts at the QB position in the draft until one sticks. That QB rookie contract is everything these days and so is the position. 

Pickett isn’t who I want but I want a QB so whatever. 

If he stinks maybe he can be our Josh Rosen that leads us to our Kyler Murray

Plus if he stinks Rhule is 100% gone. Which is needed.

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

What traits though? I've watched a lot of his games this week, and I don't see anything.

Weak arm, slow release, holds onto the ball too long, mediocre athlete. What's there to like?

It's weird we have this report now. This entire week has been reports of teams cooling on Pickett. 

I mean, he is far and away the most accurate QB in this class. Really not even sure who would be close. After what we experienced last year, it's not crazy to think our FO may latch onto that trait alone. I think calling him a mediocre athlete is a bit of a disservice, his athleticism is fine and maybe even above average. His arm isn't mad like Allen/Mahomes but he showed at Pitt he can make most of the throws you need.

I am in no way endorsing him at all. I think taking him in the top 20 would be a massive error. But he's definitely the Mac Jones type of this class. Not a crazy ceiling but probably the highest floor of any of them. I do not think we should draft him anywhere near the top 10, but he was dominant last year and I think he definitely has a chance to end up in the Jones/Carr/Cousins tier of QB's. Can that win you an SB? Who knows, but we don't have anything close to it right now.

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’m down for throwing darts at the QB position in the draft until one sticks. That QB rookie contract is everything these days and so is the position. 

Pickett isn’t who I want but I want a QB so whatever. 

If he stinks maybe he can be our Josh Rosen that leads us to our Kyler Murray

Plus if he stinks Rhule is 100% gone. Which is needed.

Yeah, teams get too committed to QBs they draft high, I can kind of see it because of Josh Allen's success in year 3 but that's a rarity. If you don't have a QB you gotta keep drafting them high and if they suck for 1-2 years cut your losses and move on and draft another one high just like the Cardinals did. I'm not a fan of this QB class at all and don't love Pickett but I love the idea of committing to finding a franchise QB in the draft even if that starts with this year and a weak QB class. That's the only way to do it, and hopefully we've learned it after the last 2 years of failing with Sam and Teddy. Still fear we're gonna take a LB or CB or something in round 1. OT is another good option but I can't complain about going for any QB even if I don't love him as a prospect. We just badly need to figure out the QB position asap.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Was Burrow stinking it up like Little in the Senior Bowl? Then not like Burrow at all.

Was replying directly to points about age and not doing anything in college until year 5, both of which are the same with Burrow and Pickett. Obviously Burrow was a much better prospect.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I mean, he is far and away the most accurate QB in this class. Really not even sure who would be close. After what we experienced last year, it's not crazy to think our FO may latch onto that trait alone. I think calling him a mediocre athlete is a bit of a disservice, his athleticism is fine and maybe even above average. His arm isn't mad like Allen/Mahomes but he showed at Pitt he can make most of the throws you need.

I am in no way endorsing him at all. I think taking him in the top 20 would be a massive error. But he's definitely the Mac Jones type of this class. Not a crazy ceiling but probably the highest floor of any of them. I do not think we should draft him anywhere near the top 10, but he was dominant last year and I think he definitely has a chance to end up in the Jones/Carr/Cousins tier of QB's. Can that win you an SB? Who knows, but we don't have anything close to it right now.

I personally don't see the accuracy in Senoir Bowl drills, games or even highlights.

Just use this for reference. Look at how many balls in a highlights video are underthrown. His receivers are wide open, his line holds well, and he's underthrowing constantly. 

Edited by Krovvy
  • Flames 1