• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Walterfootball is finally leaking what the Huddle knows about the Panthers

CashNewton22

14 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

A GM should be hired first.  Then he and he alone should find his partner to coach the team.  They need to be damn near symbiotic in their relationship.

The GM will understand what the coach wants and should draft and sign accordingly.

Not a single damn one of the aforementioned steps was followed by our poo org.

Yup so I get the sense from that Walter thing that Rhule wanted Fitt because Hurney was probably too opionated in the draft, and judging by Rhules current trend of tossing guys out of the building that don't make him look good it sounds like he's gonna keep on scapegoating until Tepper moves on. Rhule said Joe Brady was his decision right? Either that or he ok'd it even though it took him out of his comfort zone of a full Baylor staff. Either way it's a bad look. I don't think when people were hyping Rhule up they were anticipating him just taking as many Baylor/Temple pieces he possibly could to fill out the players and staff. Or they didn't realize he doesn't have any relationships with NFL caliber coaches

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Chances are Rhule didn't agree to coach the Panthers without an agreement/contract that stipulates he has final say.  Tepper wouldn't be able to just snap his fingers and force Rhule to give up his power over personnel decisions.

Well Rhule is an idiot for giving it to him. Giants laughed.

1 hour ago, Eazy-E said:

Everything you stated is pure speculation.

Nonsense...right here in print.

That said, the Bottom Line really is simple...if Navarro has the geetus/moolah/whip-out, his $2.6B bid would have been accepted -- but he didn't have the means to close.

image.thumb.png.4b46508141365ccad726f6bc69f933aa.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz

This team has a lot of raw talent. The answer is obvious. Draft the best tackle or center available. Which ever blue chip falls to you. If you take center then you start Christensen at LT. Bring back Cam and let him play drop back and RPO. Cut Sam because he sucks . If we fail, draft QB #1 next year.  

We have the weapons. The defense is nearly there. We need an LT, a C, one decent OG, and a MLB is who isn’t easily exploited.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, frankw said:

There are actually people who think Hurney chose Rhule lol.

huh what? hurney 100% excused himself the second the interview started to excite him, ripped a fat line in matt rhule's guest bathroom, and came back and started shaking the couch and staring at tepper mouthing "oh my god yes" every third sentence. i have it on good authority.

9 hours ago, unicar15 said:

I’ll continue to believe that Tepper is too smart to make significant mistakes and become the next Dan Snyder or Stephen Ross rather than a Steve Bisciotti type owner.

Truthfully, I believe him keeping Rhule is him saying that he wants to be a stable owner even if that means he’s going to keep a coach who is failing and may continue to fail. He’s following through with his strategy that it will take 3-4 years to “right the ship” and if at the end of 3-4 years there still isn’t progress then you abandon the coach and start over. As opposed to Stephen Ross who fired a coach who was showing significant promise or Dan Snyder who fires a coach every other year. 

John Harbaugh has had some great years and he’s had some pretty bad years. For about 4-5 years he had a .500 record and there were opinions he should be fired. Biscotti trusted Newsome and they kept him. After that stint he went 10-6, 14-2, 11-5. Contract extension. 

Rhule took over a bad team and for the first off-season he had Marty Hurney making decisions. Including Hurney overruling Rhule on the Derrick Brown pick. Now….It doesn’t seem like Rhule’s pick necessarily would be have been better (CJ Henderson) BUT there is time for Rhule to have a Harbaugh type turnaround. Year 3 is important but as was the case with every other year if he makes the right decision with the QB then we should be improved. 

Harbaugh fielded winning teams his first 6 of his first 7 years (went 11-5 his first year after they were 5-11 the year before) as an HC including the first 5 in a row, won at least 1 playoff game each of those years including the Super Bowl in year 5, and has 2 seasons below .500 during his entire tenure, one of which was last year. His 3 'pretty bad years' included 5-11, 8-8, and 9-7 records. 

Coaches like Harbaugh have earned that leeway. Guys like Rhule have not, especially when year 2 is worse than year 1. 

• Pie 5

It felt like it was going to be a bit dysfunctional as soon as I heard it was going to be a "group effort" in making decisions.  That seems more like a "business guy" mindset that doesn't quite understand how things work in the NFL, or has a limited vision of it.  It definitely can work.  But it takes a special culture that's built over time or a special group of guys who happen to be on a similar wave length and have a certain level of respect for eachother already.

Its always interesting to get coaches involved in the personnel side, because their interactions with players are completely different than other members of the personnel staff.  In Detroit Matt Patricia had too much player say, and he shipped out perfectly good players because they challenged him as a coach.  He took it personally and off they went.  With a different model, the GM would have told him to get over himself.  But on the flipside you also have the Eagles situation under Howie Roseman (recent decision making).  He wants to make himself look as good as possible when it comes to landing drafted players that play, that he's force feeding the coach drafted players when the coach would rather have a player not drafted by the Eagles.  It seems like Howie not only directed Doug Pederson to play certain guys, he shipped out a couple of non-drafted guys just to make sure Doug had to play the drafted ones.  That's not good either.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Nonsense...right here in print.

That said, the Bottom Line really is simple...if Navarro has the geetus/moolah/whip-out, his $2.6B bid would have been accepted -- but he didn't have the means to close.

image.thumb.png.4b46508141365ccad726f6bc69f933aa.png

You're one who consistently laughs when the ambiguous 'sources' are cited in articles such as this. How is this one different?

11 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I don't follow them much besides their free agent tracker, but it doesn't seem like they're generally in the drama business. I could be wrong though. 

Yeah, they've always attempted to be part of the rumor mill but are almost always wrong. They've never had any legitimate sources. The site was literally started as a high school project and while I know that it has come a long way since then, they shouldn't really be used as anything other than a scouting aggregate. Their analysis is terrible and their rumor-mongering is almost entirely baseless. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, razorwolf said:

So new owners with no real nfl experience still is expected to be a expert about the nfl. So I'm guessing you think you could run a nfl team with no mistakes, and chose the right coach when you'd only been in the league 2 years before hiring the first head coach of your tenure.

Tepper was a minority owner of the Steelers for close to a decade. If he didn't learn anything from one of the best run NFL franchises in all that time, he's a moron.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1