• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Willis “Lots to like”

TheCasillas

Just now, TheCasillas said:

I can’t get past his mechanics. It’s the one thing about him that just screams career backup at best to me. However, I can praise he has a knack for making good decisions 

His lack of experience (less than 20 games starting in college) is something that concerns me as well, but I also explain that away to myself by believing that it will translate him to being a fresh mold of clay.

I'm still terrified by any prospect who is going to rely on this coaching staff to put them in a position to succeed, but if we had to throw a pick at a QB I'm very much on board with taking a shot on Aqeel Glass.

I still have to watch Cole Kelley, Carson Strong, Bailey Zappe, EJ Perry, and Skylar Thompson before I declare Glass my favourite (read: not best!) QB prospect in this class. Anybody else aside from Willis caught your eye? EJ Perry is a name that I keep hearing about (hence him being on my final 5 to review).

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Icege said:

Eleby had a sneaky good team at Western Michigan. Agreed though re: Willis. The more that I watch him, the more I'm seeing that he needs the right situation which we just don't have atm. Put him on a team that has a guy on the back end of their career with a QB coach that is willing to work to start with the fundamentals. There are just way too many throws where I find myself asking, "What in the world did you see there to think that that was the best option?" At the same time, his OL was atrocious so the obvious answer was probably, "A defensive lineman about to flatten me."

Kelley and possibly Eleby can be alright. Coan is garbage. Absolute trash. Nothing about his game nor his stats support him being worth a damn. Ridder I can't quite get a read on yet. I don't think that he can be a franchise guy, but a competent QB2 to develop as a potential trade bait in the future? Maybe...

I'm all in on Aqeel Glass.

I've been looking for major problems with Coan. Everything thing I see shows me a patient QB taking what the defense gives him and quickly recognizes when a defense falls apart and taking advantage of it. He is precise, aware, moves a defense and wears a defense. He's not flashy, but he takes a defense apart, plays smart, great leader, and knows when to take his shots. I wasn't expecting much from Coan, but the more snaps I saw the more I was impressed on how well he took over a game when he needed to and came up clutch on critical downs.

Coan made all the players around him better too. Kyle Hamilton said Coan reminds him of Mac Jones.

Is there a game I should look at again to see him play like garbage?

Edited by CPantherKing

3 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

I've been looking for major problems with Coan. Everything thing I see shows me a patient QB taking what the defense gives him and quickly recognizes when a defense falls apart and taking advantage of it. He is precise, aware, moves a defense and wears a defense. He's not flashy, but he takes a defense apart, plays smart, great leader, and knows when to take his shots. I wasn't expecting much from Coan, but the more snaps I saw the more I was impressed on how well he took over a game when he needed to and came up clutch on critical downs.

Coan made all the players around him better too. Kyle Hamilton said Coan reminds him of Mac Jones.

Is there a game I should look at again to see him play like garbage?

I like a lot about Coan's leadership, growth and short & intermediate throwing.  Top of the class with throws under 20 yards in catchable balls & on-target percentage.  His issue comes with long passing.  He's dead last in on-target % deep balls in this draft class.  However, he has a strong arm so it doesn't mean he can't improve.  

Overall, he could be a late 2nd-4th rounder. I could see him actually playing in the NFL and not just sit as a backup and fizzle out like many "hyped" mid-rounders before.  Examples--Our practice squadder in James Morgan, Hackenberg, Kizer, Kellen Mond, Geno, Pickles, Grier, etc. 

Really like Coan as a prospect though.  Could see him thriving ni a system that uses a TE heavily.  His placement on those seam routes is routinely perfect.

Take him after an OL high. 

Coan is the one I see going higher than these websites are projecting.  He will perk the interest of many teams & is a guy I'd trade up into the 3rd for using one of those extra 5ths.

With the other guys:

After some early hype, I think Zappe & Ridder will go lower than people think.  I'm very undecided on Ridder. Some days like him but others just see a Josh Dobbs type guy who will never do much.  Also, just hate his mechanics.  Zappe had a poor Senior Bowl but I think his hype is warranted, but the arm strength is a concern.

Strong & Howell are that late 1st-2nd territory that need to get brought into the right situation and could play well in the league.  However, I see neither as special or taking the league by storm--ever. Just nothing special to them.

Pickett, Corral, & Willis are still firmly at the top but not without some BIG question marks. Not a huge fan, Willis may be the one to swing for, but I don't see Rhule doing it.

Crum's mechanics are bad, and I can see him not getting drafted.  I've seen you hype Eleby but wouldn't go out on a limb for him.  I just really don't like him under pressure, he will turn the ball over a lot in the NFL.

It's just a BAD class.  

14 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Those physical specimens sure win in the playoffs. Oh wait, they don't? And he's a project?

Video analysis calls his decision making "borderline disaster" and "turnover worthy".

Syracuse shut down his athleticism at the goal line and on his final drive to force a turnover. Willis' athleticism and arm couldn't even get the lead against a team like Syracuse.

Watch the game and you'll understand he is not clutch and a complete project. He wasn't even ready to perform at the Senior Bowl against a vanilla D.

Just go with Eleby if this is the type of QB you want.

I've given you 5 QBs that are success worthy at the NFL level. Coan, Kelley, Glass, Eleby, and Ridder. Coan and Glass are ready to start and capable of learning in live action with success in year 1. The other 3 are minor projects that can start year 2 or 3 with some hard work.

Let's all step away from the overhyped fools gold with Pickett, Willis, Corral, Strong, and Howell. If you have to take one of these 5, you take Howell and accept mediocre seasons and missing the playoffs without the best D in the NFL that scores points.

There are 32 starting QBs in the league, of which there might be 10 or so that fans consider good.  Of those 32 some have been in the league 10, 15, 20 years.

Every draft season fans talk themselves into 3-5 QBs that they think will have success at the next level.  

The math just doesn't add up. 

Fact is every year in the draft most of the QBs are going to be terrible.  If one or two are anywhere close to above average you have had a good class.

• Pie 2

Just now, AU-panther said:

There are 32 starting QBs in the league, of which there might be 10 or so that fans consider good.  Of those 32 some have been in the league 10, 15, 20 years.

Every draft season fans talk themselves into 3-5 QBs that they think will have success at the next level.  

The math just doesn't add up. 

Fact is every year in the draft most of the QBs are going to be terrible.  If one or two are anywhere close to above average you have had a good class.

I remember thinking guys like our own James Morgan, Chad Kelly, Anthony Gordon, Stash Minshew (well he sorta has worked out)...it's so few and far between.  If you have a shot at the highest upside dude and have the need, you kind of have to (Willis).  That may be what we will do.  Or just take Pickett because it seems inevitable. 

17 hours ago, Shocker said:

Willis would get me way more excited than Pickett.  Will vomit if we take him

Why? I don't want us to draft Picket at 6 either but he looks like a decent prospect and less likely to have a short career due to injury because he's a QB and not a QB/RB type. Cam was the biggest and best of that style of QB and even he had a short career because of it. 

31 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

No. Hence why I said go look at his numbers this year. 

Oh I have, but I’ve also watched him play the games too. He was excellent in 2017 but hasn’t been the same since he blew out his knee. If you like your QBs to make horrible decisions under pressure he’s right up there with Darnold. He had one of the best offensive lines in football to work behind this year and a running game that was designed to hide him as much as possible. That wouldn’t have worked very well here with this team. If we made the same trade the Colts did, that means we wouldn’t have a first round pick this year. It’s also telling that the Colts are trying as hard as they can to trade him for whatever they can get now.