• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have reached out to Minnesota for Kirk Cousins

ncfan

I'd rather watch Teddy checkdown on 4th and 8 again than trade assets and pay Kirk 35M a year. Kirk is also on the last year of his deal and with how we reek of desperation for a QB right now you best believe we would get screwed in extension talks. 

• Flames 2

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It's hard to express how dumb we'd have to be to trade for a lame duck QB contract when he is likely to be available for relatively cheaply(less than $35 mil/yr) in 2023.

But trading for and extending him to a huge deal now is the perfect Tepper/Rhule era Panthers thing to do. They haven't done anything that shows they have two functional brain cells between them when it comes to NFL football.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

And for the record, I do not currently think we should be trading for Cousins at all.  I was simply saying hes a much better QB than many here are giving him credit for.  But I absolutely do not think we should completely mortgage our future to get him, as has been said by others 1.  Hes getting kinda old, 2. His salary will be too high on an extension here, and 3. Itll likely cost too much to trade for him.  

I want us to build the O-Line this year, take our lumps with Sam or whoever, and then draft our future franchise guy at the top of Round 1 next season. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, joemac said:

And for the record, I do not currently think we should be trading for Cousins at all.  I was simply saying hes a much better QB than many here are giving him credit for.  But I absolutely do not think we should completely mortgage our future to get him, as has been said by others 1.  Hes getting kinda old, 2. His salary will be too high on an extension here, and 3. Itll likely cost too much to trade for him.  

I want us to build the O-Line this year, take our lumps with Sam or whoever, and then draft our future franchise guy at the top of Round 1 next season. 

He's a top 12 performer statistically but a bottom 8 QB competitively. Not sure there is a bigger choke artist long term starting QB than Cousins in the last 30 years. His record against playoff teams is insanely bad. Not in the playoffs, mind you, teams that MADE the playoffs in the given year.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

He's a top 12 performer statistically but a bottom 8 QB competitively. Not sure there is a bigger choke artist long term starting QB than Cousins in the last 30 years. His record against playoff teams is insanely bad. Not in the playoffs, mind you, teams that MADE the playoffs in the given year.

You do have to wonder about him based on that.  I'm curious to where you found that list, I found a list based on record vs teams with a winning record, he is pretty bad in that also, although from a few years ago.

NFL Quarterback records against winning teams | Sports & Fitness Digest (sportsandfitnessdigest.com)

Good thing Rams didn't' go off of that list since Stafford was even worse.

Vikings are in really bad shape.  They are over the cap by 18m, they owe Cousins 45m guaranteed, and Kellen Mond is their backup.  I don't see a great deal of flexibility to find more money other than moving Cousins.

I speculated this move on another thread, but I could see a Cousins for Darnold deal straight up, or maybe with a 1st round pick swap.  Minn. gets a stopgap QB, the 6th pick to draft their future QB, and cap relief of 15-20m.  Panthers keep a first rounder to draft an Offensive lineman and get a huge upgrade at QB. Maybe Minn. throws in one of their 6ths just to make us feel better.

• Pie 1