• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS Sports: What the Panthers need to do

Mr. Scot

What does a "coach in waiting" even do for us? None of our assistants should be HCs either and McAdoo is the obvious option for interim if Rhule does fail mid-season.

I'm cool trading for Watson while his legal status is up in the air if the draft compensation return is tied to his availability, i.e. conditional picks only become 1st rounders if he plays otherwise they are 2nd/3rd/whatever. If not structuring it that way of course you don't risk giving up a ton of assets for him.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

CBS Sports: one critical move each NFL team should make

From the article...

Carolina Panthers

Identify a coach in waiting or at least get some back-channeling going early, because this Matt Rhule experiment has an expiration date around Thanksgiving. Resist the urge to trade for Deshaun Watson without full and complete closure on his legal status.

This was written by LaCanfora, if you're wondering.

This makes a lot of sense. I’ve got a feeling Tepper is already ahead of the curb on this.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

CBS Sports: one critical move each NFL team should make

From the article...

Carolina Panthers

Identify a coach in waiting or at least get some back-channeling going early, because this Matt Rhule experiment has an expiration date around Thanksgiving. Resist the urge to trade for Deshaun Watson without full and complete closure on his legal status.

This was written by LaCanfora, if you're wondering.

The guy is speaking the truth. And Rhule won't make it past our bye week unless something truly miraculous happens.

Hate that it didn't work out, hate that we're still working on it, just thinking all parties need to move on before the effects really become long term. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The guy is speaking the truth. And Rhule won't make it past our bye week unless something truly miraculous happens.

Hate that it didn't work out, hate that we're still working on it, just thinking all parties need to move on before the effects really become long term. 

It's about to get long term if Tepper doesn't block Rhule from making some really bad choices in an attempt save his own butt.  Ian Thomas' new deal is exhibit #1.  If Rhule tries the, 'I have full control over the roster' power move, his @ss should be canned immediately.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, t96 said:

What does a "coach in waiting" even do for us? None of our assistants should be HCs either and McAdoo is the obvious option for interim if Rhule does fail mid-season.

I'm cool trading for Watson while his legal status is up in the air if the draft compensation return is tied to his availability, i.e. conditional picks only become 1st rounders if he plays otherwise they are 2nd/3rd/whatever. If not structuring it that way of course you don't risk giving up a ton of assets for him.

I *think* what was implied is to identify potentials up and coming coaches that will be a good fit to hire after Rhule is done not so much an interim. 

Of course there is a lot of unknowns this early so probably not much can be done other than keeping an eye on someone but for the people that are staying like Fit and DM, possibly just have thoughts ready to be discussed at that Thanksgiving date do in the likely event Rhule is gone they’re ahead in discussions and process.

That is how I read it anyways. Basically have an idea/plan around end of November.

And trading for Watson with his legal stuff in the air would be horrifically detrimental to this franchise or any other. There is no reason to give up anything for unknown possibility including one where he doesn’t play again. You absolutely have to wait at least until April 1 to see if this goes criminal.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

He doesn't necessarily mean someone within the current staff.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

The Texans have already said they won't do that.

And frankly, if there are teams willing to trade without condition, why should they?