• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I prognosticate Panthers draft day.

Zod

22 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

You mentioned this being possibly a weak draft...  So who's going to want to give up what you are suggesting for a 6th pick ?
I think Philly likes all their first rounder  right where they are

Weak draft or not, I could see a team being willing to move up for one of the top Oline prospects. That said, doing that trade means Carolina once again misses out on a true game changer in favor of more lesser talent. Not only would that be a total Panthers thing to do, it would suck.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

It should be all OL. If we can get 3 LEGIT starters out of this draft we might have a chance at not sucking.

But I agree, Rule doesn't have the luxury of developing a young QB (not that he's capable of it anyway) and he also can't risk drafting a QB and hoping he's ready to go out of the gate. So QB probably won't be the pick at 6.

All that to say.... Our first pick will probably be another corner.

There is not a single qb in this draft that can start from day one. Hell there wasn't one in last year's draft. Jones started out of necessity not because he was ready.  But yes, Rhule will pick a defensive player most likely. 

• Beer 1

In a sensible year, trading back should net us a first this year, a first next year and change. But Rhule (and everyone else) knows that he needs to make waves now, and can't afford to trade for future picks won't be around to use. So everyone will offer him late round picks for this year, and he's in no position to bargain.

Frankly, at this rate, considering how bad our bargaining position is, I'm doubtful we'll be able to trade back, and feel like come draft day, we'll be sitting at 6. If we net new draft picks, it will be by trading away future picks or players this regime won't be around to miss anyway.

Edited by Captroop
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

In a sensible year, trading back should net us a first this year, a first next year and change. But Rhule (and everyone else) knows that he needs to make waves now, and can't afford to trade for future picks won't be around to use. So everyone will offer him late round picks for this year, and he's in no position to bargain.

Frankly, at this rate, considering how bad our bargaining position is, I'm doubtful we'll be able to trade back, and feel like come draft day, we'll be sitting at 6. If we net new draft picks, it will be by trading away future picks or players this regime won't be around to miss anyway.

Perhaps Philly falls in love with a prospect in the top 6?  I could see them possibly trading us 2 of their firsts this year that are in the teens, for our #6. 

I'm not sure how many OL we need out of the draft.  The fact that Fitt said Campen came in and said he wish he could've seen more of Brady at LT (as we all screamed for all season), and his conviction that he can play there, paired with the still unknown commodity but encouraging signs shown by Deonte Brown, and I'm not sure...  I wouldn't be mad of we loaded up on it, but if BC and Brown are starters, we just need maybe 1 starting OL and depth.  Perhaps a LT and shift BC to guard.  I think BC can be a great LT, but I think if we could get a franchise guy there, he could be an all-pro-type guard.

All that being said, ideally, I would like us to trade back, draft Willis, sign Cam back to mentor him, then draft another OLineman with the other pick we pick up in trading back.

Also wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a legit safety to pair with Chinn.

If this is the way they go then I would think the second round pick ends up flipped for a veteran QB. 

I’d be completely fine with two picks in the late twenties and landing a combo of:

Penning, Raimann, Linderbaum and trade that 2nd pick for a Vet QB. I know Jimmy G isn’t popular around here but I can’t have another season of Darnold. 

14 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm not sure how many OL we need out of the draft.  The fact that Fitt said Campen came in and said he wish he could've seen more of Brady at LT (as we all screamed for all season), and his conviction that he can play there, paired with the still unknown commodity but encouraging signs shown by Deonte Brown, and I'm not sure...  I wouldn't be mad of we loaded up on it, but if BC and Brown are starters, we just need maybe 1 starting OL and depth.  Perhaps a LT and shift BC to guard.  I think BC can be a great LT, but I think if we could get a franchise guy there, he could be an all-pro-type guard.

All that being said, ideally, I would like us to trade back, draft Willis, sign Cam back to mentor him, then draft another OLineman with the other pick we pick up in trading back.

Also wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a legit safety to pair with Chinn.

I think the idea that Newton still has full seasons left in him is a fallacy.

The idea that Willis is going to be anything like him might be an even bigger one.

image.thumb.png.c1d40ac5b75aca2be383f8ad68220ea1.png

This is what needs to happen. We get a starting center (best in draft), a consensus 1st round OT, and a potential QB of the future. Two picks that will pay dividends for a decade if they produce at their slotted potential…not sure what more you could ask for in the first two rounds.