• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Short arms, this time Tyler Linderbaurm

AU-panther

There's no way you look at Linderbaum's play over the past couple of years in the B10 and worry about his arms at Center, IMO. 

Dude is a generational talent and I prefer him over Cross/Penning for pushing the needle on our OL. 

Kalil was an anchor that defined our OL (along with Gross) for over a decade.

Don't overthink it....take Linderbaum.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

This eugenics/phrenology mess has to stop. Unless it benefits us that is.

I am in the minority that thinks that Rhule no longer has complete control, and Fitterer will be calling the draft this year. Would make sense if both guys are on the hot seat, to let them have some control over their own destinies without being anchored to one another. Hopefully he can capitalize on some dumb passes that other teams make this time, rather than squandering picks on long snappers. 

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You just don't take IOL in the top 10.

Do you think it's getting harder and harder to find good NFL quality O-linemen?

Do you think Linderbaum can be a good to great center in the NFL?

Teams are coveting their O-line talent these days. If the answer to one or both of those questions is yes, then you take him at 6 and don't worry about points, positional value, or anything else.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Do you think it's getting harder and harder to find good NFL quality O-linemen?

Do you think Linderbaum can be a good to great center in the NFL?

Teams are coveting their O-line talent these days. If the answer to one or both of those questions is yes, then you take him at 6 and don't worry about points, positional value, or anything else.

The only argument I can make for it is if you're a team drafting in the top 10 due to a pick acquired via trade and you're a contender with IOL as one of your key needs. I'd still be trying to trade down.

But if you're a team picking on the top 10 earned by sucking ass, you can't afford to take IOL in the top 10. Positional value matters. If you put a HOF center on our roster what does it do? How many wins do we add? Any?

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only argument I can make for it is if you're a team drafting in the top 10 due to a pick acquired via trade and you're a contender with IOL as one of your key needs. I'd still be trying to trade down.

But if you're a team picking on the top 10 earned by sucking ass, you can't afford to take IOL in the top 10. Positional value matters. If you put a HOF center on our roster what does it do? How many wins do we add? Any?

This isn't a great draft to have a top ten pick though. Where are the top flight QBs, WRs, and DEs? There are no Lucks, Newtons, Jones, Rices, or Peppers that teams will want to jump up for. There are the top two or three tackles, but they may well be gone before the Panthers pick.

A quality center impacts everything the offense does and the Panthers just happen to need one of those amongst all their other needs. Linderbaum is supposed to be the top O-line prospect in this draft regardless of position. I said in another thread that Kalil in hindsight was worth a top pick based off the 12 years he gave the Panthers as their starting center. If Linderbaum can do a decade or more too, take him at 6 and be happy.

1 hour ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

He was who I wanted the Panthers to target if they traded down. Guess that dream is dead because Rhule ain't drafting him.

All we know is that Rhule thought Slater would be a better fit at Guard because of his short arms.  So Rhule equates short arms with IOL...he values long arms for tackles.  So it's not clear whether or not this will even impact his placement on our draft board.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

With that measurement we may have dodged a proverbial bullet.

To compare, Nelson was a top 5 IOL. He was 6’5” 325lbs with 33 3/4 arms and 82 5/8 wingspan. Linderbaum is 6’2” 296lbs with 31 1/8 arms and 75 5/8 wingspan.

No way would I take Linderbaum at 6.

To be fair your comparing a massive guard to a center. Centers are generally smaller. But I agree he is small even still.

Don't have a problem given his skillset and being a center.  Do not want him at 6.  Just not the right position this day in age to take when you're that high in a draft.  Same would go for a OG, RB, S & LB, unless they're absolutely monsters/generational.  He's not generational IMO.