• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No Team has won the Super Bowl in 20+ years with their QB taking up more than 12.6% of the salary cap

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, uncfan888 said:

Sign Watson and have a top tier qb here for a decade. Build around him. I'd rather take my chances with someone that could get us to the playoffs consistently versus an unknown rookie

These people think we can just draft the next Mahomes and win a super bowl on a rookie contract. What is more likely? We win one with a superstar qb on a bigger contract or the next Mahomes, Tom Brady somehow falls in our lap and we have the team around that qb to go all the way in the four years they’re on a rookie deal. I’m taking my chances on getting the sure thing. More playoff opportunities, more chances to win it all.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Bro, do you not know how percentages work? 

The 12.6% number is consistent year in and out over the past 20+ years regardless of the cap. 

1) This isn't a one year investment

2) Any team with a QB will have to pay them 12.6% with the QB market price going up. 

Dee - da - dee

I’d also add that Brady takes up 7 of those 20 Super Bowls. He has constantly taken pay cuts so more money can be allotted to other players on the team. Part of that is wanting to win, but the other part is he has a wife worth almost half a billion so it’s easier to take less money versus any other QB in the league. 

• Pie 3

Add to OP's QB stat "the three ring circus variable" (Tepper, Rhule and Fitterer).

I'm often amazed this team manages to find its way from the locker room to the field on Sundays.

Since Tepper bought the team (2018) Panthers have:

- The worst NFCS record

- The 3rd worst NFC record

- The 5th worst NFL record*

*Jaguars, Jets, Lions and Giants

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/worst-record-by-a-nfl-team-since-2018

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

11 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

1) This isn't a one year investment

2) Any team with a QB will have to pay them 12.6% with the QB market price going up. 

Dee - da - dee

Yeah, his cap will be at 42.4 Million in 2023, which is the last year of his contract. QBs generally don't play on the last years of their contract so expect him to want to negotiate after this coming season. His Cap will probably stay at 42.4 million in 2023, then jump up even more in 2024 and beyond to match the rising Cap.

Average cap increase year over year (,minus the pandemic) was 10.74 million. With a conservative estimate of the cap going to 218 Million, his 2023 Cap hit would be 19.4% again. It's likely to stay at or around there moving forward. It's not sustainable for long term success, especially when we will have limited draft capital to build a team around him. 

• Pie 1

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Add to OP's QB stat "the three ring circus variable" (Tepper, Rhule and Fitterer).

I'm often amazed this team manages to find their way from the locker room to the field on Sundays.

Since Tepper bought the team (2018) Panthers have:

- The worst NFCS record

- The 3rd worst NFC record

- The 5th worst NFL record*

*Jaguars, Jets, Lions and Giants

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/worst-record-by-a-nfl-team-since-2018

No doubt that our front office is a total disaster 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1