• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Saints are using dummy years in contracts to flush cap hits?

Ja  Rhule

26 minutes ago, Jmac said:

I just read that Watson is now leaning towards the Saints as a trade. Fine with me. Panthers have done okay in FA so far, keep our young guys, add a few more quality FA's (since we have the cap space), get the best QB they like in the draft at 6, and built from there. World doesn't end If Watson doesn't come here. Down side we would have Brady and Watson to deal with 2x a year. Have to beat the best to be the best.

I may be one of the few Panther fans not on board with  the obtaining Watson at all costs deal.

While I agree Watson is a game changing QB, he would  only be one player on a Panthers team that would presently lose some good players and gave up important draft choices, both important for continued team  success.

Edited by KatsAzz

1 minute ago, Ja Rhule said:

Oh yea?

Saints signed S Marcus Maye, formerly of the Jets, to a three-year, $28.5 million contract. 

The deal reportedly includes $15 million guaranteed. The Saints lost Marcus Williams to the Ravens on Wednesday and have answered with one of the next best things in a deep safety market. Franchise tagged by the Jets last spring, Maye made it only six games into 2021 before tearing his Achilles' tendon in November. In the context of that injury, this is a very generous 

Marcus Maye FS - - - - - - - - - 0.00

I go by what the site says my guy, his values on that deal are not out yet, and a 3yr / 28.5M deal does not mean ''30M'' in cap was created. 

15M guaranteed over 3 years is 5M prorated over the life of the contract meaning at minimum he'd count as 5M this year + what ever the base salary is. There is also a possibility of void years after those three to lower the cap hit even more. 

None of that points to ''30M'' in cap being created. 

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I go by what the site says my guy, his values on that deal are not out yet, and a 3yr / 28.5M deal does not mean ''30M'' in cap was created. 

15M guaranteed over 3 years is 5M prorated over the life of the contract meaning at minimum he'd count as 5M this year + what ever the base salary is. There is also a possibility of void years after those three to lower the cap hit even more. 

Well, not necessarily on the $5M prorated over the life per year. Likely guaranteed his salary this year at least. My guess is cap hit on that will be about $4M in 2022. Probably something like a $10M SB + $1.5M in guaranteed salary this year + $3.5M in guaranteed salary (or roster bonus) next year. 

Edited by Smittymoose

7 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Not true -- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

Cap Space (w/All) $-4,090,219
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $4,024,781

It's possible they clear the space to add him, but the question is who will be on the team to play with him worth while, they've already restructured most of their main guys. 

I'd wonder who else they could look to after having to make room for him that they could then restructure to create actual cap space to address their other roster vacancies. 

They could still restructure/cut guys like Jenkins, Davis and Roby and come up with another $20-25m

Just now, AU-panther said:

They could still restructure/cut guys like Jenkins, Davis and Roby and come up with another $20-25m

I never said it could not be done, I was pointing out that it ''has not'' been done, and signing Maye wasn't a catalyst for it to have been done. 

9 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

nice work^

and like you said you can easily add 2 voidable years. 

3yr/28.5m can easily be turned into a 1st year cap cost of around $4m

"The Saints do what every other team does. Loomis isn't a genius"

Then why is it we hear of no other team that is always deep in "cap hell" every year, but then somehow miraculously is under it and has money to spend? If the Saints do what every other team does, why is no other team like this constantly year after year?

Edited by KillerKat
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

"The Saints do what every other team does. Loomis isn't a genius"

Then why is it we hear of no other team that is always deep in "cap hell" every year, but then somehow miraculously is under it and has money to spend? If the Saints do what every other team does, why is no other team like this constantly year after year?

like I said earlier, there is no miracle involved.  With a basic understanding of the cap and simple math it was all predictable.

Also there are other teams over the cap also, who will also restructure and cut players to get under the number.  TB is still $21m over and I'm sure next off season there will be other teams over the cap at some point who will have to restructure players.  As Panther fans we tend to notice the Saints.

Looking back some of the early teams that DG had were some of the most leveraged teams I've every\ seen.  There was literally almost nobody left to restructure or cut to create cap space.  Basically the credit cards were maxed.

It's just math.

Whenever the cap doesn't go up again, or New Orleans decides they can't win anymore, they will have 70-80% of their cap in dead money and will field an all UDFA/street free agent team and be absolutely horrible for probably two years and then have a clean cap. It's not that bad a move actually

12 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

It's just math.

Whenever the cap doesn't go up again, or New Orleans decides they can't win anymore, they will have 70-80% of their cap in dead money and will field an all UDFA/street free agent team and be absolutely horrible for probably two years and then have a clean cap. It's not that bad a move actually

They went through so many years of sucking and wearing bags over their heads, they can handle two years of suckage to rebuilt. You may hate them, but they have a decent front office and know how to handle cap.

5 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

So that’s how the Saints dodge cap numbers?  They push all hit to dummy years and let player go with no impact?  How does that even work?

Saints restructured DT David Onyemata's and OT James Hurst's contracts, saving $7 million against the cap. 

New Orleans' long march toward cap space continues. Onyemata is scheduled to be a free agent in 2023, so this move likely sent bonus money into dummy years, almost ensuring the Saints will be doing this same dance with someone else next March. 

The packers are doing the same thing. league is turning a blind eye because they need those two markets.

• Pie 2

45 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The packers are doing the same thing. league is turning a blind eye because they need those two markets.

Yep, If Carolina did that they’d face fines and lose draft picks. Media darlings run the league