• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett > Malik Willis (at least for us)

janderson20vt

3 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

both of those guys had amazing arms, it's true. some of the best arm talent ever, but neither had game impacting speed. they were nimble especially for their time, but they were no randall cunningham. he's the first that I remember that could legitimately hurt you both ways. malik willis has the potential to be one of those handful of guys like steve young, cam newton, lamar jackson, kyler murray that can for periods of time can feel unstoppable if they get the defense off balance and the play calls are right. it remains to be seen if he has the ability to hurt you with his arm but the velocity says there's a chance. the feet certainly say there's a chance on the ground. he's a lottery ticket. in five years he will either be considered a bust or be one of the NFL's most dangerous weapons. there's not a lot in between. 

I've watched Willis, and I can honestly tell you he's not anywhere near the level of college athlete that any of the people you named were.

I get the comparisons and playing style, but Young, Jackson, Murray and Newton were all much more effective against far better competition.

I just don't see it.

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Watched it. Nice video.

One of my complaints about college highlight reels is way too many of them feature only throws to wide open receivers. This one had some where he was throwing to a guy who was closely covered. Appreciated that.

On the vast majority of his throws, he set his feet nicely and showed good mechanics. There were a few long ones where his back foot came off the ground (they'll wanna coach that out of him) but for the most part he was solid.

I'll have to check out a full game tape of him sometime.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've watched Willis, and I can honestly tell you he's not anywhere near the level of college athlete that any of the people you named were.

I get the comparisons and playing style, but Young, Jackson, Murray and Newton were all much more effective against far better competition.

I just don't see it.

I don't know if we're disagreeing to be honest. the question is always going to be how much transfers of that talent and if that talent can be applied. but in terms of raw clay, he's in rare air. the arm strength and the speed combination he has just doesn't appear a lot inside the same body. they're unicorns. they're tangible measures of abilities that are correlative to success, but they aren't success. his raw clay value is what has him in the conversation at all.

Just now, Vagrant said:

I don't know if we're disagreeing to be honest. the question is always going to be how much transfers of that talent and if that talent can be applied. but in terms of raw clay, he's in rare air. the arm strength and the speed combination he has just doesn't appear a lot inside the same body. they're unicorns. they're tangible measures of abilities that are correlative to success, but they aren't success. his raw clay value is what has him in the conversation at all.

I get that. It's also true that pretty much everyone says he's going to need at least a year or two to be NFL ready.

I'm not sure Matt Rhule can wait that long, so it's probably a moot point.

8 hours ago, rayzor said:

It's his job to make sure that happens. It's his job to make sure he gets the right coaching and that he stays on track and gets from point A to point B developmentally. It's on his shoulders. The responsibility is his. The job is his.

Sure you could blanket his responsibilities that way. In that case that’s every position, every coach, and every player. However, day to day activities…. The head coach is not spending 8-10 hours per day developing a quarterback.

this is done by the qb coach and extended by the offensive coordinator.

Rivera didn’t develop cam. Dorsey did. BB didn’t develop mac jones, mcdaniels did.  Josh Allen had culley and Dorsey, it wasn’t McDermott.

that’s specifically what those coaches get paid to do. Literally to coach and development quarterbacks, it’s their actual job description. Head coach is to run a football team. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

Pickett will never wow anyone but he sure does a lot of things well

I keep coming back to Derek Carr for him but I feel like Pickett pushes the ball downfield more. If Pickett ends up being a more aggressive version of Derek Carr that really isn’t all that bad.

I’m a sucker for all the wow stuff Malik does though. If it was up to me I’m rolling the dice on Willis

• Pie 1

All this Matt Ryan hate is hilarious.. I hate to break it to you, but over the course of his career, he has been a better QB than anyone we have ever had here.

Matt Ryan has a career 95 passer rating. He has thrown for 60,000 pass yards and has more than twice as many touchdowns than interceptions for his career. In fact he has never thrown more int than TDs in a season.

I get it, we are Panther fans, we hate Matt Ryan, but man I would be thrilled if we got a QB that has his success. 

Edited by Jaxel
  • Pie 3

I'd take Pickett over Willis.  The plus sides to Willis is his upside and his potential.  I'm scared of spending a number one on those factors.  His accuracy seems to be a weakness.  Sure, he could be great, or he could be Winston (who we could pick up right now).  Pickett is the most transparent of, this is what you are getting for your pick.  That being said, I'd rather we pick up a Mariota or Winston and let him and Darnold fight it out in camp.  Spend the 6 on a playmaking S, LB, T or WR and look at QB when there are better choices. 

8 hours ago, frankw said:

These threads are all the same takes on repeat. Next years class is better I want the Bama QB I want the Ohio State QB. Life doesn't work the way you want it get over it. We'll draft one and if doesn't work draft another.

I lol when I think at how “stacked” this QB class was supposed to be one year ago 

Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder, Spencer Rattler

all tossed about as guys we HAD to wait for it if we wanted to BUILD IT RIGHT

its the same garbage from the same posters every year

they either don’t know what they’re looking at, or have other biases.

• Pie 4