• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Willis Pro Day

2 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

Honestly, not in todays in NFL. 10 years ago I would have definitely agreed with you. The game is changing for better or for worse. You don’t need to be Peyton Manning to be an all pro in this league. If you can make big time throws on the run like Jackson, Allen, Patty M, you’re going to be successful. Which is exactly what Malik brings. NFL defenses are handicapped due to defensive rule changes. 

Nobody is Manning.

But who's been the most successful quarterback in the league, even into his late 30s?

Brady. And yes, it is possible to replicate the kinds of things he did.

I would agree that quarterbacks these days are more athletic than they used to be, but so is every other position in the NFL. You didn't used to have offensive and defensive linemen that were as athletic as the guys today either.

But like always, as a quarterback uou've got to be able to make the reads and throw the ball to the right spot. If you can't do yhose things, no amount of athleticism is going to make up for it.

• Pie 3

Just now, micnificent28 said:

I think you were in the marcel dareus  camp if I remember correctly? You take me as a very safe guy. I don't think think there is a sure fire stud in this qb class.. so instead of aiming for a base hit with Pickett why no go for the guy with the highest upside?

No. Dareus had some mental issues that came up prior to the draft that threw up great big red flags.

I never really settled on who I wanted that year other than that I didn't want to take any of the quarterbacks.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No. Dareus had some mental issues that came up prior to the draft that threw up great big red flags.

I never really settled on who I wanted that year other than that I didn't want to take any of the quarterbacks.

Lots wanted AJ Green, Peterson, or Dareus. Me I was all Cam.

Think the best pick at 6 would Willis, even though I think it's going to be Pickett. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Physical ability? Yeah.

But that's not what wins in the NFL. You have to be able to read defenses and process the information quickly.

It also doesn't matter if you can throw the ball a mile. What matters is whether or not you can throw it to a particular spot.

This is where Ellis and I disagree. He likes the idea of taking physical specimens and trying to teach them the other stuff. I don't. I want the guys who show they can handle the other stuff first. If they're also physical specimens, fine. If not, don't really care.

This is also why I don't put a whole lot of stock into pro days or workouts in general. As has been said by many, anyone can look good in those situations. It's the game tape that really tells the story.

Year ago I listened to an interview from Steve Deberg when Steve Sabol was still alive. Deberg had one of the unluckiest careers of anybody in NFL history:

He came into the league with the Cowboys in the mid 70's. The team was set with Staubach at QB, but the team realized he was talented and tried to hide him on their practice squad. The 49er's claimed him.

He went to SF and became  a starter until Walsh replaced with a 3rd rounder named Joe Montana.

He went to Denver as a starter until Dan Reeves replaced him with !st rounder John Elway.

He went to Tampa, and got replaced by Steve Young

He finally ended up in KC and actually led the team to the playoffs under Marty S. I believe, but he never became superstar. He had the misfortune of being replaced or held back by 4 Hall of Fame QB's. He once broke down what was great about the latter 3.

Elway: Possibly the strongest arm He ever saw. Said he footballs looked and sounded like no other QB.

Young: Maybe a better physical specimen than Elway in terms of mobility and running. Said Young could have been a viable RB in the NFL

Montana: Couldn't throw like Elway. Couldn't run like Young. Not a great physical presence like the latter two. Said Joe was best QB he ever saw. When asked what made him great  Deberg said I can't pinpoint it Joe was just great and understood how to play the position from the neck up.

It goes back to what Mr. Scott said (paraphrasing) "Process what's happening on the field and throw the ball to right spot at the right time" Any QB that can do that is going to be successful. It doesn't matter about the physical tools if he can't do the things highlighted above.

PS: Bill Walsh was once asked to rate Deberg as a QB. He said he had one of the prettiest balls he ever saw and was a better"pure passer" than Joe Montana...talk about irony.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Zach Wilson was wow'ing everyone about this time last year.

Yeah it’s interesting reading comments  in here and now

and i did want Zach. I still think he can be good under the right circumstances/team. I said before I thought he should sit a season. Malik I think similarly.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I believe you but wow it was worse than I thought. Watched his pro day and so many short passes. It was almost like they were scared to show his long ball off. 
Every single pass was short to intermediate. They even did a screen play. Hilarious. 

Im a huge Teddy fan. Born and raised in Louisville, my 11 year old lab is named Teddy... it was everywhere on every news and media outlet as soon as it came out he was going to do the pro day with out his gloves, everyone had a bad feeling what would happen. 

He gambled and the results speak for themselves. That decision is a big reason why Bortles went 4th overall.