• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CharlotteObserver Ellis Williams. What are Panthers going to do at QB

raleigh-panther

After a week visiting QB pro days, what are the Panthers going to do at quarterback?

BY ELLIS L. WILLIAMS
12 hours ago

It’s been a quietly productive offseason for Carolina Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer. 

Since free agency began, the Panthers have signed nine outside free agents, retained 12 of their players — including Donte Jackson — extended star receiver DJ Moore and avoided a Deshaun Watson circus. 

Draft picks still in hand, Watson choosing Cleveland allowed Carolina to shift its quarterback search back to the future. Fitterer, coach Matt Rhule, offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo and other key members of the organization have spent their week at the pro days of the draft’s best quarterback prospects.

On Monday, Pitt’s Kenny Pickett put on a hand-size-doesn’t-matterperformance. On Tuesday, Liberty quarterback Malik Willis yet again showcased his freakish talents. And on Wednesday, Matt Corral threw for scouts for the first time this offseason since suffering a serious ankle injury in Ole Miss’s January bowl game. The Panthers hold the No. 6 pick in April’s NFL draft and will do their due diligence on the entire class, including North Carolina’s Sam Howell, who is scheduled to throw at North Carolina’s pro day on Monday. 

Carolina is at a critical juncture. After consecutive underwhelming seasons led by quarterback retreads, the front office understands it must get it right this time. As the veteran market dwindles, investing in a rookie seems inevitable. 

After their respective pro days, here is an updated look at Pickett, Willis and Corral. Those around the NFL agree Willis has solidified himself as QB1. After that, there is not much consensus. 

“Most people understand that Malik Willis is the number one quarterback. Then some teams love Kenny Pickett as quarterback two. Some think that Desmond Ridder is quarterback two. Other teams think it’s super obvious that Sam Howell is quarterback two and some teams love Matt Corral,” CBS Sports draft analyst Chris Trapasso told The Observer. “(There is) ambiguity with the entire quarterback class.”

Malik Willis 

Draft projection: Top 5 

Every time Malik Willis works out for NFL evaluators he steals the show.

At the Senior Bowl, he laced together three impressive practices, highlighted by a commanding Day 2 performance in downpour rain. While other quarterbacks struggled with ball control and security, Willis wasn’t fazed by adverse conditions. A few days later during the East-West game, Willis dazzled his competition 

In Indianapolis at the NFL Scouting Combine, Willis’ long ball awed those in attendance at Lucas Oil Stadium. He was slinging it so far he even overthrew Ohio State receiver Chris Olave, whose 4.26 speed in the 40-yard dash is best in class. His draft season highlight reel continued Tuesday at Liberty’s pro day.

“His arm might be stronger now than it was on tape. He missed one or maybe two deep throws, but every ball was on the money,” The Ringer’s Steven Ruiz told The Observer. “The one thing I’m not worried about with him is throwing the football. I don’t just mean arm strength. Accuracy, touch, all those things. I think he’s the best thrower of the football in the draft.”

After transferring from Auburn, Willis threw for 5,107 yards, 47 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions in two seasons. He also rushed for 1,822 yards and 27 scores.

He is slightly undersized, standing just over 6 feet tall. But he’s built like a running back below the waist. Willis projects as a shorter Josh Allen.

His arm unlocks the whole field and that’s what it is with Allen. He’s a better thrower than Allen when he came out,” Ruiz said. “I don’t think he’s there mentally. He’s only played for two years as a real quarterback. So I think that’s where he has the most room for improvement when it comes to catching Josh Allen. But physical ability, he has all that.”

Which is why Ruiz doesn’t think Willis will be available for Carolina if they remain at six. 

“I would take him with a top-five pick,” Ruiz said. “I don’t think he’s going to be there at number six. If the Panthers want him I think they’re going to have to trade up.”

In his latest mock draft, Trapasso projected Willis No. 2 to Detroit. 

Kenny Pickett

Draft projection: Mid-to-late first round

“He can make all the pro throws,” NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein told The Observer. “He’s the most pro-ready of all these quarterbacks. He’s also a little underrated in terms of his ability to play against the blitz and make plays on the move to extend plays and still make a throw, make an accurate throw on the move.”

Pickett went through throwing drills on Monday at Pitt’s indoor facility where dozens of scouts, coaches and front-office staff from several teams watched. Pickett threw more than 50 passes in a scripted workout that several scouts in attendance said went well.

He did not wow like Willis but he showcased his velocity on deep-outs and other sideline throws where touch and throwing power converge. Zierlein said he thought some of Pickett’s seam throws got away from him, an area he must improve as a pro. Overall, it was a quality pro day that should improve his draft stock.

Pickett stands about 6-3 and weighs 217 pounds. All of his measurements scream NFL quarterback except for his hand size. His 8.5-inch hands are considered small by pro football standards. The last quarterback with 8.5-inch hands to have NFL success was Mike Vick. His hands increased by 1/8inch from his combine measurement, checking in at 8 5/8 inches. He’s been doing hand stretches all offseason, which paid off

“Kenny Pickett can move around a lot, too,” Trapasso said. “And I think he has that kind of Joe Burrow-esque ability to elude bigger and faster defenders inside the pocket, keep his eyes forward and still make throws down the field.”

Matt Corral

Draft projection: Late first round

The mystery surrounding Corral began fading on Wednesday when he threw for evaluators for the first time. Corral believes he’s best in class and showed why at his pro day. 

“He’s been an enigma during the pre-draft process because of the injury. But he showed people I think a lot of what Malik Willis showed yesterday,” Trapasso said. “He’s got a really strong arm. It’s a good time to remind everyone that Matt Corral has a pretty strong arm and good delivery.”

In 2021, Corral threw for 3,342 yards, rushed for 614 and totaled 31 TDs. He’s only 6 feet tall but his athleticism helps him create off-script plays. 

Trapasso said Corral’s pro day was 90% about proving his right ankle is healthy. Since he established that, teams will begin projecting him within their offenses. Ole Miss ran a heavy-RPO system with simple reads, quick throws and baked in deep shots. In the pros, he’ll have to develop into a full-read thrower. 

His release is lightning quick. Sometimes he fires balls so quickly that it disrupts his accuracy. But usually, that can be corrected. Pocket patience can be taught. 

Most interesting about Corral is he does not have a pro comparison. Pickett has shades of Mac Jones. Howell compares to Baker Mayfield. Ridder tested at the combine similar to Marcus Mariota and we’ve already established Willis equals a short Josh Allen. 

Corral doesn’t have an NFL doppelgänger yet, which adds even more intrigue (or doubt) to his professional projection.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

21 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I dont buy that about having to trade up to get Willis.

He's my pick, but if he's gone at 6, I'm trading back and taking Corral or Howell, picking up a 2nd rounder, and I'd be just fine.

That's the windbags in the media chumming for clicks. Agents are trying to make a commission pumping up their players through the media mouth breathers also. Pay that poo no mind. If a team drafts that kid from the hype around him then they are as dumb as the Panthers. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

Willis to the Lions at 2 is real hype. They tried the Huddle way last year. Didn’t work out. You’ve got to try and capitalize on the value of these high picks. Hope they go for one of the edge rushers in light of that as opposed to a QB.

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1

I have no doubt someone will trade to #5 in order to get Willis. ATL, Seattle, and the Steelers more than likely will do so. Everyone knows we are the team who will likely get a QB and they will trade ahead of us to get the guy they think can lead the franchise 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 4

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I have no doubt someone will trade to #5 in order to get Willis. ATL, Seattle, and the Steelers more than likely will do so. Everyone knows we are the team who will likely get a QB and they will trade ahead of us to get the guy they think can lead the franchise 

If anyone of those teams want the first choice of the group they will most likely have to trade ahead of us. I'm not buying anyone in the top 5 pulling the trigger.  But dumber things have happened. 

4 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

OR....if he does happen to make it to 6, and some team really wants him, we could fetch a ransom in a trade. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1