• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold outta here?

Zod

39 minutes ago, frankw said:

That ship sunk and is at the bottom of the ocean now guy. You may have to stick with him to a new team.

He's our best long term solution. And anyone who can't realize that is just blind. 

We are on the hook for his salary. 

Trade down.Take a tackle or pass rusher.

Play Sam and let him Boom or Bust. If he busts then draft a QB next year. I'm tired of taking less optimal options or huge gables (Sam or Willis).

Let's build a foundation see if our ticket hits.

I dont see it. Its a one year deal. If we needed the cap space to get a guy like Watson, Armstead etc then maybe. 

However we are currently sitting with the most cap space in the NFL with few premier players still left. I think it would be more likely we keep him on the roster outright. I have a hard time seeing the value in parting with a player just to dump Sam unless a mid round pick is coming back. 

3 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

He's our best long term solution. And anyone who can't realize that is just blind. 

Play Sam and let him Boom or Bust. If he busts then draft a QB next year. I'm tired of taking less optimal options or huge gables (Sam or Willis).

Long term? It's one year. And he is clearly a bust. Even the Jets and their knuckledragger fans know this. Did Jimmy Clausen have any staunch fans still drinking the koolaid like this? 😂

5 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Darnold sucks, PERIOD

• Pie 2

Going to have to attach a pick or player to trade him said it last season, but like many have said would have tried to do this before fa, granted there are still some good fa’s left

either way, if we let Rhule use our assets to save his job for another season imma go ahead and free up my sundays cause that’s exactly what losing franchises do 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Trading for a guy who really doesn't want to play for you is a pretty dicey proposition.

I don't really think Mayfield would have a problem sitting out.

Im pretty sure he would get over it if he had a chance to be a starting QB in the NFL. Only 32 of those jobs in the world so he would likely get over being butt hurt about being traded here pretty quickly 

23 minutes ago, heelsnum1 said:

Can someone explain to me why Atlanta has a huge dead cap hit this year for trading Matt Ryan, but this hypothetical trade of Darnold wouldn't cause a similar hit for us?  His entire salary is guaranteed and its just 1 year left.

Completely different situations. Dead cap usually results from signing bonuses and restructuring contracts. Neither are a concern for Sam. Just straight salary with zero dead cap. 

• Pie 1

I just don't get that logic.  He obviously is horrible and won't be playing here again and he's on the last year of his deal.  Why not just essentially buy him out because you're paying him for the year anyway, and just pay him to go away...  why would I offer assets to another team to do what I can do myself by just buying him out and sending him away?  His hit is off the books next season anyway and its not like we're going to use that 18M this season, so whats the point?

Just now, Proudiddy said:

I just don't get that logic.  He obviously is horrible and won't be playing here again and he's on the last year of his deal.  Why not just essentially buy him out because you're paying him for the year anyway, and just pay him to go away...  why would I offer assets to another team to do what I can do myself by just buying him out and sending him away?  His hit is off the books next season anyway and its not like we're going to use that 18M this season, so whats the point?

Because if we can ship him off an pawn that 19 mil on somebody else, and get a pick back why not??