• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer Press Conference

Jackie Lee

Just now, Jaxel said:

Really? I walked away with the impression that they were def going to go QB, probably Pickett as that meets your criteria.

That will be telling. I get the feeling Fitt is making moves that a better for the team, and Rhule is making moves that are good for Rhule. Pickett is a reach at 6, so draft day will let us know who's really calling the shots.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Captroop said:

That will be telling. I get the feeling Fitt is making moves that a better for the team, and Rhule is making moves that are good for Rhule. Pickett is a reach at 6, so draft day will let us know who's really calling the shots.

I mean, I guess,. I don't necessarily think Pickett is that big of a reach at 6, but I get it, it's all over the map right now.

1 minute ago, RJK said:

I’d actually watch games this year if Rhule was forced to roll with Darnold. sassy ha ha GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Let Scott get his LT, he did his job and fixed the O-line in one offseason. Now let McAdoo and Rhule earn their jobs. Enough of Rhule blurring all the lines so he can deflect over and over again

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I've gotta think based on this conference we're leaning towards a tackle in the draft.

Thanks for the insights from your perspective.  Since he mentioned that Luvu and Haynes would step up for the loss of Reddick, I think it is T or QB. He mentioned BC's flexibility and then mentioned Elf, Corbett, Bozemen, and Moton by name---I think it means "We are going with BC at LT for now, but would like to add a player if we can.  he spent a lot of time talking about QBs on rookie contracts and compared them to Seattle with Russell Wilson---I think he basically told us, "We'd like another pass rusher and a LT, but we are better in those areas now and people will have to step up.  We are drafting a QB."  If we miss, we will draft a QB again.

So I respectfully disagree, but it could be a case of hearing what I wanted to hear.

32 minutes ago, Captroop said:

If you took nothing away you don't know how to read between the lines, because there was a lot unsaid that spoke volumes.

"They know this is a great place to live and this is a place that should be desirable." The very loud implication is that it isn't desirable. Acknowledging that they know it's not desirable for players is acknowledging that he knows the reason why. Leads me to believe it's no questions that Rhule's on the hot seat, and he not only has to win, but build a culture that's attractive to players.

"The right way to build a team is to draft and develop." He followed that up by saying the best situation with a quarterback is to get "5 good years" out of them on their rookie contract, before they ask for the sky to re-sign, and then you don't have the cap space to build around them anymore.

To me, that says he's not considering anyone who's not a day one starter at the QB position with our #6 pick. It's simply not cost-effective to spend a year developing a first rounder. If he's drafting a guy in the first round, he's going to want to plug him in day 1. If he's going to develop a QB, it will be someone in the later rounds.

It's debatable how many guys in the draft this year are ready, or even capable of taking over the starting role from day 1. And when he said they're bringing in 30 guys, he specifically said QB and tackle.

I've gotta think based on this conference we're leaning towards a tackle in the draft.

You're doing a lot of mental linguistics with the first half.   Should doesnt mean it isnt or it is.  

• Pie 1

Just my thoughts;

I took a lot from that. Acknowledging the ‘right way’ is to draft a qb, weird hearing that as this franchise has not done that. I would’ve really liked a follow up question here referring to that fact and how they evaluate QBs because they have already passed last years prospects who seem to be better than this year.

‘Rookie QB needs to sit at least for a little.’ I don’t think they’re looking to start a rookie day 1 but maybe 1/4 into the season which I like. If Sam can just win one of those 4, we’re still in it. Rhule’s best bet as well to stay. You don’t draft a QB at 6 ‘just for competition. I’m thinks a raw QB that falls for that.

But on that note, lot of tackle vibes, getting an offensive tackle. Rush, QB, and LT is what Fit focuses on. That’s not uncommon but makes me feel a DE or LT is all but certain for the draft and If there is a QB involved, it will be seeing how it plays out and trading up for one, and I get the feeling they will stay at 6 for their LT.

He said in the beginning teams have to call them regarding a trade and QB situation. And no one has. This is negotiating 101. Leading to my next thoughts of him saying ‘we aren’t doing anything immediate’. In essence meaning not only does a team need to call but he’s not inpatient and the value needs to drop. So a move won’t be made if it’s costly. Not even too costly. Just costly. Right now it’s just not worth it.

In all I feel they’re tightening up on things. Probably because Rhule is on a short leash and because they’ve realized at this point more harm than good has been done. This is a good vibe I get.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1

I think the part missing from that presser is when he stated  "They have ti call us" when referring  to trading for a qb. That's stating that they have called teams and waiting to see if said team will finally give in. When digesting  that comment, it means....  Baker could be a possibility  but we aren't budging on our trade demands of shaving salary. It also could stand that we have reached out to Arizona and others to let them know we are open for business(when your ready to move on) at any time.