• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next year’s QB crop is better. Let’s wait until then.

ncfan

I’ve heard this from bunch of people for people arguing not to draft one this year.

there are 2 QBs that are looked to be The guys next year.  Everyone is a crapshoot like this years.

the Eagles just gathered a to  of draft capital for 2023 and 2024 (3 1s and 3 2s between 2023 and 2024) And it sounds like they are pretty enamored with next years QBs as well.

I’d expect they will take one of those 2.  The Dolphins also have gathered quiet a few picks next year as well.  And if Tua struggles more.  They may be eyeing one.  They weren’t shy about being all in on Watson this fall.

Giants have already made it known they are shopping pick 5 and will most likely try to add capital to replace a Daniel Jones in 2023.

so point is.  There are more than just us who may be looking at one of those top guys.  But we don’t have near the ammo to get into a bidding war.

so skip QB again this year, eyeing one of those guys next year.  We may have to completely bottom out getting a top 2 pick next year to have a shot.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 3

There is no perfect year to draft a QB when you account for how important the position is now. We could already have Justin Herbert here but the FO wanted to invest in the defense that was gashed throughout last season. Now all we have left is jumping all over each other over whether to go LT or QB because this regime didn't even understand what a real rebuild was.

• Pie 2

I personally don't like the "QB in 23" plan since I don't think the Panthers will be positioned to get one. As mentioned in the OP, the team will have to secure a top 2 or top 3 pick otherwise we are looking at a replay of the 2021 draft where the team is picking the 3rd or 4th best option.

I feel pretty confident that you can pencil the Texans in for Pick #1 (as does Vegas). Their plan is pretty obvious (to me at least). The Falcons aren't even fielding a real NFL team this year and will likely be in the conversation for a top pick as well. Finally we also have to out-suck the Lions who are likely eyeing a top pick (and a QB) in 2023.

If we are outside the top 5 we then have to also compete with the Giants and Eagles who will likely have more draft capital.

Vegas has the Panthers at 6 wins currently. I don't see this team going below our apparent floor of 5 wins.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I’ve heard this from bunch of people for people arguing not to draft one this year.

there are 2 QBs that are looked to be The guys next year.  Everyone is a crapshoot like this years.

the Eagles just gathered a to  of draft capital for 2023 and 2024 (3 1s and 3 2s between 2023 and 2024) And it sounds like they are pretty enamored with next years QBs as well.

I’d expect they will take one of those 2.  The Dolphins also have gathered quiet a few picks next year as well.  And if Tua struggles more.  They may be eyeing one.  They weren’t shy about being all in on Watson this fall.

Giants have already made it known they are shopping pick 5 and will most likely try to add capital to replace a Daniel Jones in 2023.

so point is.  There are more than just us who may be looking at one of those top guys.  But we don’t have near the ammo to get into a bidding war.

so skip QB again this year, eyeing one of those guys next year.  We may have to completely bottom out getting a top 2 pick next year to have a shot.

With rhule coaching and darnold trying to play qb a top 5 pick is well within reach

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

I personally don't like the "QB in 23" plan since I don't think the Panthers will be positioned to get one. As mentioned in the OP, the team will have to secure a top 2 or top 3 pick otherwise we are looking at a replay of the 2021 draft where the team is picking the 3rd or 4th best option.

I feel pretty confident that you can pencil the Texans in for Pick #1 (as does Vegas). Their plan is pretty obvious (to me at least). The Falcons aren't even fielding a real NFL team this year and will likely be in the conversation for a top pick as well. Finally we also have to out-suck the Lions who are likely eyeing a top pick (and a QB) in 2023.

If we are outside the top 5 we then have to also compete with the Giants and Eagles who will likely have more draft capital.

Vegas has the Panthers at 6 wins currently. I don't see this team going below our apparent floor of 5 wins.

Philly will probably be drafting in the high teens.  We will be single digits.  No way they are more attractive then us.  

Here's my issue. I don't want Rgule being part of the QB conversation. TB was his choice, even if it was through Brady. PJ Walker was his guy for backup. We bring in Darnold, and we saw what happened. After the catastrophic failure at the QB position this year, 1 day, 1 fuggin day after the season is over we offer PJ a new contract, albeit a cheap one. Like there is no one who is going to be available who could have more experience or be better than PJ or even have more upside. Plus the rotating QB situation made no sense.

Rhule is on the hot seat. He had to be told to go out and find NFL caliber coaches or else. Allowing him to select a QB at 6 after his track record and current situation would be crazy. He shouldn't be allowed to have any part in selecting a future QB for this organization because he hasn't even been successful at selecting one for half a season. 

• Pie 2

41 minutes ago, The Natural said:

It's all a crapshoot. There are no guarantees. I like the idea of spending a draft pick or two every year until you find your guy. To consistently win in this league you HAVE to have a franchise QB.

Agreed.  If I were in the front office, I would have picked a QB last year, even after we signed Darnold.  Throw him and either Fields or Jones out there, and may the better qb win the job.   

• Pie 3

I don't mind the 2023 QB plan but it's not specifically because of Bryce Young and CJ Stroud.  

An undersized Alabama QB and another hyped kid from Ohio State at the top.

The bloom ups/guys that could change the picture:

Will Levis

• Allen size & ceiling, an actually apt comparison) 
  • Already getting 1st round buzz, a big year would put him in discussion as QB1

Jake Haener

• Will likely have a monster year stat wise, good to great at everything, just a tad undersized
  • High round consideration, legit year, he's a top-5 QB easy, would be #1 or 2 in this draft

Grayson McCall

• Growing hype train, his upcoming year will be huge to see how far he can go
  • Like Levis could catapult into QB1 consideration

Tyler Van Dyke

• Seemed to come out of nowhere but could be a very strong round 1 candidate

Anthony Richardson

• If people are this high on Malik Willis, I mean, what is going to happen if Richardson lights it up for Florida? 

And then there's the "Don't sleep on, but don't get your hopes up" crowd:

Spencer Rattler (meh), Sam Hartman (meh), Kedon Slovis (hard to gauge IMO), Phil Jurkevic (bleh)

We're realistically looking at this crop in 2023 if we go Cross/Ekwonu/Neal/Penning/Raimann/Zion/etc.  I personally think Levis, Van Dyke, & Richarson are the 3 that are the ones you take that big chance on if they have continued success and progress.  Upside, arms, size.  They've got it all.

Young and Stroud, I mean, they play with such high level talent, it's hard to tell.  I can never trust an OSU QB and Young can play small (but definitely has his moments, toughness, and leadership)  

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Fair points. The way I see it, we have two huge needs: LT and QB. This draft class is notable for having memorably elite LT prospects while the QB class is amongst the weakest of the past several years. It's one thing if you have a top 5 grade on a LT vs a mid-1st on a QB. But most mocks have either Neal or Ekwonu there at 6, whom many thought either could go #1 before the Jags resigned Robinson, whereas arguably no one in the QB class would have a solid 1st round grade in a normal year. Just seems like it makes sense to go with the safe pick and figure out qb another way. I also don't really trust the staff to figure who is the diamond in the rough in this qb class after their assessment of Darnold.

Hopefully we get a top pick in 2023 but if not, plenty of teams have shown this year in particular there are other ways to find a qb (Indy, Seattle, Cleveland, etc)

Im more in the 'wait for 23' crowd but this post has me thinking. 

Our 'best' situation might be to pick a QB this year and ride with him all year. Assuming we finish top somewhere in the 3-6 range, given the draft capital from the Eagles and Giants we might be in the best position to trade with them for a kings ransom... but only if we already have our QB. 

If we draft a QB this year we might be able to trade our 1st next year for a king ransom. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

Im more in the 'wait for 23' crowd but this post has me thinking. 

Our 'best' situation might be to pick a QB this year and ride with him all year. Assuming we finish top somewhere in the 3-6 range, given the draft capital from the Eagles and Giants we might be in the best position to trade with them for a kings ransom... but only if we already have our QB. 

If we draft a QB this year we might be able to trade our 1st next year for a king ransom. 

What if the QB we draft this year is poo?

• Flames 1