• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis - "When it comes to big time issues, like quarterback, the owner is pretty involved."

trueblade

Let me do a little Twitter housekeeping here. 

Being “pretty involved” is vague, so let me translate: He’s the owner, and when it comes to cornerstone decisions, such as sizing up their next swing at a franchise quarterback, my understanding is he’ll be an active participant in that decision. Same as he was during the bulk of their pursuit of Watson.   

I don’t think this is an outrageous statement. Luckily, I’m in a nice position in my life, in which I don’t have to log onto the Internet and make things up.

So, that’s what I was getting at, and I hope that helps.

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Hard to argue that the two most powerful people in that building, football/otherwise, are the owner, followed by the HC. It appears the general manager has less resistance and more cooperation this year. That’s not to imply there was ever a conflict, that’s just the nature of the business.  

I don’t think I’m alone in that assessment. 

I don’t think any of this is really groundbreaking, like I said.

Edited by ellis
  • Beer 2

17 minutes ago, ellis said:

Hard to argue that the two most powerful people in that building, football/otherwise, are the owner, followed by the HC. It appears the general manager has less resistance and more cooperation this year. That’s not to imply there was ever a conflict, that’s just the nature of the business.  

I don’t think I’m alone in that assessment. 

I don’t think any of this is really groundbreaking, like I said.

I always appreciate your posts 

it is really difficult to believe that Tepper approved the Darnold trade.

If he did, zero respect for him. I know  I know. He doesn’t care about my respect or anyone else’s 

but, I guess that’s just as believable as hiring a mediocre Div 1 coach, paying him more than the very best pro coaches, and handing him the keys to a nfl franchise with Marty Hurney as the doorman

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Sam Darnold never showed he was special last year.   

he did have a bad staff around him.  But we have 4 years of Sam Darnold as starting QB in the NFL.  He isn't a starter.  He isn't being held back.  He simply is part of the offensive problem with the staff. 

I know, I'm just yanking your chain.

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

How do we know Tepper likes Pickett the most aside from the Pitt connection? He liked Fields last year who is like the opposite of Pickett…

This is the right question. Do we have any actual intel that he prefer Pickett over Willis?

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

I'd be concerned if he wasn't involved.

I'm more concerned if he is.

It's kind of like a guy who knows nothing about home building hiring experienced builders, then deciding  he doesn't like the way they're doing it so he's going to tell them how to do their job...or just do it himself.

The correct action would be to hire a different builder, of course. But when you're one of those people who always thinks you're the smartest person in the room (even when you're clearly the dumbest) this is how things often play out 

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm more concerned if he is.

It's kind of like a guy who knows nothing about home building hiring experienced builders, then deciding  he doesn't like the way they're doing it so he's going to tell them how to do their job...or just do it himself.

The correct action would be to hire a different builder, of course. But when you're one of those people who always thinks you're the smartest person in the room (even when you're clearly the dumbest) this is how things often play out 

Owners (or CEO's) are always involved in big decisions, even if it's out of their realm of expertise. You may have a CEO whose head of a dept store company, whose specialty is retail operations, but he will be involved in major real estate acquisitions as well, even though he really doesn't know much on the subject.

Here's another example. I'm going to upgrade my company's fleet of work trucks. Before I drop 300 grand on vehicles, I'm going to clear it with the owner, who has never changed the oil on his vehicle once in his life. And if he doesn't like Ford, we won't be buying F250's. Or maybe he feels we need F350's or maybe F150's, etc. At any rate, his opinion will be involved in the decision, and he'll have final decision. He may leave that decision broad for others to decide the fine details, but he'll have some sort of input into it.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

Owners (or CEO's) are always involved in big decisions, even if it's out of their realm of expertise. You may have a CEO whose head of a dept store company, whose specialty is retail operations, but he will be involved in major real estate acquisitions as well, even though he really doesn't know much on the subject.

Here's another example. I'm going to upgrade my company's fleet of work trucks. Before I drop 300 grand on vehicles, I'm going to clear it with the owner, who has never changed the oil on his vehicle once in his life. And if he doesn't like Ford, we won't be buying F250's. Or maybe he feels we need F350's or maybe F150's, etc. At any rate, his opinion will be involved in the decision, and he'll have final decision. He may leave that decision broad for others to decide the fine details, but he'll have some sort of input into it.

I get that owners always want to be involved, but the smart ones who hire smart people listen to those people.

When it comes to football matters, I've not seen a single thing that made me think David Tepper is very smart.

• Poo 1