• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: believes drafting a quarterback with the sixth pick in the NFL Draft is the Panthers' "only way out" of the team's quarterback predicament

TheSpecialJuan

Carolina%20Panthers_0.pngSam Darnold

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer believes drafting a quarterback with the sixth pick in the NFL Draft is the Panthers' "only way out" of the team's quarterback predicament. 

Breer said the "financial complications" of Sam Darnold's disastrous contract, "the inability to attract a proven star at the position and the hot-seat element" has "driven [Carolina] into a corner where, outside of a swallow-hard trade for Jimmy Garoppolo (and his injury timetable is relevant, given that the Panthers have Ben McAdoo introducing a new offense), it feels like using the sixth pick on a quarterback is the only way out, which isn’t where you want to be." The Panthers have met with all of the draft's top signal callers including Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Matt Corral, Desmond Ridder, and Kenny Pickett, who has a history with Carolina head coach Matt Rhule. Unless Darnold has made vast improvements from last season, it's possible a rookie quarterback would be the Panthers' Week 1 starter. Carolina is 22-43 since last making the postseason in 2017, becoming an NFL laughingstock along the way. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think #6 is the only way out, but I do think that the draft is. The only vets we're going to get are the ones with no other choice. We're going to have to find out next QB on the draft. There just aren't very many Jake Delhommes out there.

🚗 🧑‍🍼

💪

round 2 or later

I’m 100 percent behind a QB at #6 overall if we get a vet LT to partner with Christensen at LG. Then our line is complete AND we have hope for the future at QB. Start Darnold until the rookie is ready, and we are off to the races. The rookie will have good skill position players and a decent line at that point 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I’m 100 percent behind a QB at #6 overall if we get a vet LT to partner with Christensen at LG. Then our line is complete AND we have hope for the future at QB. Start Darnold until the rookie is ready, and we are off to the races. The rookie will have good skill position players and a decent line at that point 

We're reported to have been in touch with Duane Brown.

I could see a scenario where they agree to terms in secret but don't announce anything until after the draft so as not to telegraph their plans.

• Flames 3