• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFN's Tony Pauline on Pickett vs Willis

Mr. Scot

Interesting article...

How close are Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis?

“Talking to teams, Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis are neck and neck,” Pauline said. “The team that wants to start their rookie earlier are going to go with Pickett. The teams that are looking long range are going Willis. But they are right there. Neck and neck.”

Cam Mellor adds this...

Willis seemingly separated himself at the Combine. He was seen helping a homeless person outside a hotel in downtown Indianapolis. There was that video of him completing a throwing session in the hallways of the hotel. Then, he was impressive in all facets during interviews and on-field workouts. This all came after he wowed those in attendance at the 2022 Senior Bowl.

But then there’s Pickett. Somehow quietly in the corner, Pickett measured his hands at the Combine. That may seem trivial to the uninitiated, but it was massively important that he did so. Yet, it wasn’t as critical as his on-field throws at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. So how’d the general public forget about Pickett?

That’s a mystery to be solved for another day. Both Pickett and Willis have incredible work ethics and are born leaders. They each have had a special journey to the NFL through their collegiate careers. Willis, an Auburn transfer, found greener pastures at a different location. Pickett, a four-year starter, found glory in his final year of eligibility at Pittsburgh.

They both have a terrific athletic profile and more than enough talent in their arms. The neck-and-neck nature of Willis and Pickett each receiving top quarterback grades from some NFL teams is a microcosm of just how close the top of this quarterback class is.

It remains to be seen which of them comes off the board first. And as the saying goes, the rest will be history. We’re all just ready to watch it unfold.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Interesting stuff about Willis---you have to love the person and his upside.  I still think that we are going to either take Pickett or trade back and take Corral or Howell.  Just a gut feeling. 

I really just don't like Willis' game at all. Seems like a super nice guy though. A+ Character.

I want Corral or Strong.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interesting article...

How close are Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis?

“Talking to teams, Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis are neck and neck,” Pauline said. “The team that wants to start their rookie earlier are going to go with Pickett. The teams that are looking long range are going Willis. But they are right there. Neck and neck.”

Cam Mellor adds this...

Willis seemingly separated himself at the Combine. He was seen helping a homeless person outside a hotel in downtown Indianapolis. There was that video of him completing a throwing session in the hallways of the hotel. Then, he was impressive in all facets during interviews and on-field workouts. This all came after he wowed those in attendance at the 2022 Senior Bowl.

But then there’s Pickett. Somehow quietly in the corner, Pickett measured his hands at the Combine. That may seem trivial to the uninitiated, but it was massively important that he did so. Yet, it wasn’t as critical as his on-field throws at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. So how’d the general public forget about Pickett?

That’s a mystery to be solved for another day. Both Pickett and Willis have incredible work ethics and are born leaders. They each have had a special journey to the NFL through their collegiate careers. Willis, an Auburn transfer, found greener pastures at a different location. Pickett, a four-year starter, found glory in his final year of eligibility at Pittsburgh.

They both have a terrific athletic profile and more than enough talent in their arms. The neck-and-neck nature of Willis and Pickett each receiving top quarterback grades from some NFL teams is a microcosm of just how close the top of this quarterback class is.

It remains to be seen which of them comes off the board first. And as the saying goes, the rest will be history. We’re all just ready to watch it unfold.

I'm not a prophet, but based on what I've seen of the last year's QB class, I think Willis and Pickett will be just as successful (IMHO...more successful) than Wilson, Fields, or Jones. I haven't seen enough of Lance to have an opinion on him at this time.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

My theory has been that Fitterer wants to draft a quarterback but Rhule doesn't. A veteran QB is a more immediate benefit to him.

But if Fitterer were able to talk Rhule into it, Pickett would make sense as Rhule's choice.

I really don’t think Rhule has the power like that anymore. I’ve heard multiple National guys on NFL radio say Fitt is more so in charge of player personnel now and some have even said he’s gonna be picking the next head coach. Reasonable minds can disagree but I believe we’re gonna take the number one qb on the board (if he’s there) no matter if it’s Willis or Pickett or trade back. I’ve been saying Malik Willis Szn forever and if we take a qb at 6 and he’s there I believe it’ll be him…even if he isn’t as pro ready as Pickett.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

A veteran QB is a more immediate benefit to him.

I'm not sure if Rhule is factoring in the level of veteran QB that's going to be willing to come here and play for him which is pretty stunning considering we've chased and whiffed on every decent vet QB available since he was hired. You would've thought he would've been ready to swallow that bitter pill by now.

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Interesting stuff about Willis---you have to love the person and his upside.  I still think that we are going to either take Pickett or trade back and take Corral or Howell.  Just a gut feeling. 

That’s what makes Willis so intriguing, the intangibles and his physical skill set is there. But will it all come together or not? The upside is there and he will give it his all. Very risky, but also a very high upside it it clicks for him. Still want a LT, but if we go QB, I’d rather gamble on his upside.

Both would need to improve their completion percentages in a much harder NFL.

Neither guy is above or at 65% career completion percentage.

I don't see how you can be spoken of as top prospects without a 65% completion percentage. It's absolutely nuts. What, they're going to improve drastically against better competition? 

It's not likely. Pick a QB good at QBing in the first place instead of hoping and wishing on a project as far as NFL accuracy is concerned.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Both would need to improve their completion percentages in a much harder NFL.

Neither guy is above or at 65% career completion percentage.

I don't see how you can be spoken of as top prospects without a 65% completion percentage. It's absolutely nuts. What, they're going to improve drastically against better competition? 

It's not likely. Pick a QB good at QBing in the first place instead of hoping and wishing on a project as far as NFL accuracy is concerned.

How did Teddy Bridgewater not show everyone that completion percentage without context is irrelevant…

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure if Rhule is factoring in the level of veteran QB that's going to be willing to come here and play for him which is pretty stunning considering we've chased and whiffed on every decent vet QB available since he was hired. You would've thought he would've been ready to swallow that bitter pill by now.

Why would he? He is not gonna roll over and let himself get fired. He knows very well a rookie will not save his job in todays NFL when they can just Josh Rosen his rookie QB after they give him the pink slip.