• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the run defense be any better next season? If not, buckle up for another long season.

hepcat

Run defense was one of the worst aspects of the Panthers team last season. They gave up 100+ rushing yards in 9 games, all losses. They gave up 150+ in 5 of those games. Teams rarely win games giving up these types of numbers in the run game.

Dallas - 245.

Minnesota - 198 

New England - 151

Washington - 190

Tampa Bay - 159

The Giants, Dolphins, Bills, and Falcons all topped 100 yards as well. 

Not much was done to improve the run defense either. Matt Ioannidis is basically a replacement for Daquan Jones. Ioannidis is known more for his pass-rushing ability anyway. Cory Littleton was signed to replace Jermaine Carter. Littleton's strengths were originally as a pass-defending LB, but he struggled all-around on the Raiders in 2021, losing his starting spot to rookie LB Divine Deablo near the end of the season. Haason Reddick walked in free agency, maybe his replacement Yetur Gross-Matos sees more playing time (and he might help a little in run defense). Otherwise, equally slight Marquis Haynes is in line for more playing time in Reddick's wake. The team also drafted another slight DE in Amare Barno. 

I'm not sure the run defense will be any better in 2022. The team clearly tried to improve the running game on offense. But if they can't stop the run on defense, they might not be in position to run the ball as we saw many games play out in 2021. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

It's time for YGM to make a big step up.  His advanced stats have shown him to be really effective against the run and consistently generate pressure. He should be at the point where he can become more of a 3-down guy.  

This year is pretty critical for him and Brown.  Rhule's first draft investments need to start looking like vets.

• Pie 2

I'm not sure we have improved the run D and also that the pass rush took a big step back with Riddick gone. Still looks like we are heavy at DB and skimpy on the front 7, at least on paper.

Lot of stuff could changes this but I'm not one to bank on improvement until it happens. Brown, YGM or someone else could turn the corner in a big way...it just hasn't happened yet.

• Pie 1

One underrated aspect is being able to play Chinn as an in the box safety more now that we have a true FS.  That will help a lot.  But I agree, I’d like us to add some DL pieces in the coming weeks.  Honestly wouldn’t mind having Suh.  He’s a punk, but we need his attitude and aggression.  

I'm not sure our player changes will be enough to impact our run D too much even if Brown develops. I'd assume our scheme might need changing some. The Additions of Wilson and Smith at LB may help (If Wilson outlasts his legal troubles). So far this does seem to be something that not much has been done to offer improvement.

Edited by Michael G

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

One underrated aspect is being able to play Chinn as an in the box safety more now that we have a true FS.

Maybe. I always thought Woods was more of an "in the box" safety too. I'm not convince Chinn won't remain the FS more often than not. That said, Woods is a pretty good option for this role too.

Run defense should improve with better scheme better vet LB play and development from the young players..

Ygm, Roy, and Brown going into year 3.. Nixon and Hokins with a year in a pro strengthening program.. 

Better coaching from Pasq (dline) and Wilkes with the secondary..

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Need a Star type at NT and a stout edge guy. Get the best that they can. Got the money.....use it. 

Agree…interesting that Star is available. Guessing he is “done” at 32 and/or his best days are behind him. 

Derrick Brown needs to finally play like a top five pick. Ioannidis should pull some attention off of Brown as he is consistently in the top five in pass rushing productivity so naturally you’d think he’d get some attention. Hopefully Brown can finally focus on just clogging up the middle of the field.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

48 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Run defense was one of the worst aspects of the Panthers team last season. They gave up 100+ rushing yards in 9 games, all losses. They gave up 150+ in 5 of those games. Teams rarely win games giving up these types of numbers in the run game.

Dallas - 245.

Minnesota - 198 

New England - 151

Washington - 190

Tampa Bay - 159

The Giants, Dolphins, Bills, and Falcons all topped 100 yards as well. 

Not much was done to improve the run defense either. Matt Ioannidis is basically a replacement for Daquan Jones. Ioannidis is known more for his pass-rushing ability anyway. Cory Littleton was signed to replace Jermaine Carter. Littleton's strengths were originally as a pass-defending LB, but he struggled all-around on the Raiders in 2021, losing his starting spot to rookie LB Divine Deablo near the end of the season. Haason Reddick walked in free agency, maybe his replacement Yetur Gross-Matos sees more playing time (and he might help a little in run defense). Otherwise, equally slight Marquis Haynes is in line for more playing time in Reddick's wake. The team also drafted another slight DE in Amare Barno. 

I'm not sure the run defense will be any better in 2022. The team clearly tried to improve the running game on offense. But if they can't stop the run on defense, they might not be in position to run the ball as we saw many games play out in 2021. 

Your numbers are a little misleading.  Towards the end of the season, we were far behind in multiple games and teams were just running the ball a lot to run down the clock.  That tends to increase the yards allowed per game.  

Ypc allowed is imo, a more important stat.  We were actually 9th in ypc, a significant improvement from the year before last.  I think the run defense has improved each of the last two years.  During Rivera's last season, it was the worst run d I have ever seen.  Year before last, better but still bad.  Last year, we were middle of the pack.  Hopefully the trend continues.  But we certainly need to improve on all phases of defense.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1