• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if..? Phil Snow becomes interim and takes us to the playoffs?

It's been slow.

I was hoping we would get a conference at the stadium from Matt Corral these last few days but it seems like they are gonna wrap a bubble around him like they did Sam last year so we might not hear from him until training camp.

In the meantime, I had a question I was pondering, and it stems from the fact I feel like the only reason Matt Rhule is still here is because Tepper knows he has a good thing with Snow on the defense and if he can get a good thing with McAdoo on the offense Matt Rhule can essentially just be the team hype man and get out of the way. This also makes me wonder, how would the huddle feel if we end up with a brutal first four games of the season. Say 1-3 and Tepper fires Rhule and promotes Snow to HC and Steve Wilks back to DC... then Snow takes us to the playoffs because he actually has a braincell when it comes to football concepts..

Would you guys be cool with keeping essentially this entire staff minus Rhule beyond 2022 or is Snow just too old?

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Poo 4

For some reason Tepper likes Rhule but I doubt it's just Snow.  He gave Rhule credit for hiring the new coaches, who many of us think are a step up from last year.  Tepper blamed last years debacle on injuries, which definitely played a part.  There is a HUGE drop-off from CMC to Chubba, its like night and day.  We lost Horn and as a ripple Dan Arnold who wasn't anything spectacular, but the next in line was Ian Thomas and a rookie.  The OL, as bad as it was, was decimated with injuries to become worse than bad.

Remember, it was Snow's idea to bring in Darnold.

10 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

It's been slow.

I was hoping we would get a conference at the stadium from Matt Corral these last few days but it seems like they are gonna wrap a bubble around him like they did Sam last year so we might not hear from him until training camp.

In the meantime, I had a question I was pondering, and it stems from the fact I feel like the only reason Matt Rhule is still here is because Tepper knows he has a good thing with Snow on the defense and if he can get a good thing with McAdoo on the offense Matt Rhule can essentially just be the team hype man and get out of the way. This also makes me wonder, how would the huddle feel if we end up with a brutal first four games of the season. Say 1-3 and Tepper fires Rhule and promotes Snow to HC and Steve Wilks back to DC... then Snow takes us to the playoffs because he actually has a braincell when it comes to football concepts..

Would you guys be cool with keeping essentially this entire staff minus Rhule beyond 2022 or is Snow just too old?

I don't see it happening.  If Rhule flames out, Tepper is not going to want to have another rookie head coach running the team.  McAdoo would most likely take over.  Two reasons.  

1. He has experience as a head coach

2 and most importantly he was probably the #1 reason why we drafted Corral.  We would not have to worry about him going someplace else.  This is my biggest worry with McAdoo.  He'll get us going in the right direction and we'll lose him to some team that is drafting a rookie QB. 

If Rhule was fired I would hope that the team retains Snow as he seems to be a really good DC.

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

Another question, has anyone figured out what kind of scheme knowledge Matt Rhule has? I have not once heard him talk about any type of scheme, only "arm length" like the line cook fan he is.

Yeah, he walked on as a player at Penn State and turned around two college programs without knowing what a football looked like. Jesus.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I like Snow but I'm not sure he would want to take a HC job now or ever. It's not the same gig as a DC, honestly DC sounds a lot more fun...at least to me. I liked that about him, he liked where he was and didn't want to change that. I'm more worried he just leaves with Rhule at that point to go set up shop at some college with a nice chunk of change in his pockets. 

I would think McAdoo and Wilks would be jockeying over Rhule's smoking corpse if/when the situation arises. HCing has some politics tied to it through the owners, media and front offices. If Rhule does fall then the knives could come out or not. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Why would we make Snow interim when he has never been a head coach and we have 2 assistants with head coaching experience? And Tepper said Rhule's job is safe so all this speculation about him being fired is wishful thinking.

Yeah, Snow is about the last guy I would expect to see get elevated if Rhule gets canned mid-season. Not to mention, that is a Rhule guy through and through, I suspect he is out the door when Rhule goes.

• Pie 2