• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about our Defense

Our DE position is thin. Amare Barno may be asked to contribute sooner rather than later. I don't think that we are a MLB away on defense. However, if I were Matt Rhule, I would seriously approach Sam Franklin about switching to MLB. Ask him to put on 15 pounds of good weight and get ready for camp. I think he can be a player there.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Barring a major leap in Wilson's play, MLB is an incremental upgrade and I'm not sure if they've solved the 5/6 hole weakness off-tackle where teams ate Carolina alive last year. There was promise there but there were major weaknesses too, and the biggest defensive gain may be offensive improvement. Has that occurred is the real question IMO.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I would not underestimate the loss of Reddick.  YGM has good numbers, but not as good as Burns and certainly not as good as Reddick. 

I'm not sure Littleton or Luvu are the answer at LB.  We had a solution with Perryman last year, but we let him go due to his lack of participation in OTAs and being unvaxed.

And CJ Henderson looked horrible last year.  If that is what to expect from him, his man/area will be target one every game.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1

I think we add one of Rashawn Green/ Clowney and possibly another dt. Torrey  Smith was on Good Morning Football and said he thinks Brandon Smith is a guy to watch  for. I honestly think Littleton can be good if the defensive  tackles can hold up.   Im not saying top defense  but a possible  upgrade over last year. 

Edited by Lurk21
  • The D 1

6 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

I think we add one of Rashawn Green/ Clowney and possibly another dt. Torrey  Smith was on Good Morning Football and said he thinks Brandon Smith is a guy to watch  for. I honestly think Littleton can be good if the defensive  tackles can hold up.   Im not saying top defense  but a possible  upgrade over last year. 

Rasheem green is on the texans

Hopefully the run game on the offense will be the best addition to the defense this year. 

The D looks solid and has a lot of potential but it could also not live up to last years unit with the gains vs losses in personnel. We will see. Lots of young guys that could step up.

If Damien didn't end up threaten his girlfriend with death, we could be looking at something at LB.  Maybe it was a misunderstanding, he may have been hangry.  

Not getting any hopes up with the Matt L. dude on the DL

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Solid depth outside of MLB and DE. Sign Clowney and I think we have a top ten defense easily, this is a potential top 5 defense. We are such a young team and every year that passes we develop further.

• The D 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We lost our leading pass rusher and our best, most experienced CB and yet a middling defense is going to be #1? 😆

Getting Horn back will help but we're thin at DE and LB. Borderline top 10 would be a good showing IMO.

Gilmore was traded here mid season and played the entire season partially injured. He played well in the small amount of snaps, but the return of Horn far out weighs the loss of Gilmore.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3