• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have second most cap space in the NFL

TheBigKat

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Didn't the restructure make it harder to get out of that CMC contract in the short term? 

We'd have $8M in dead cap for both 2023 and 2024 if he was a post June cut next year. This article conveniently leaves out that we have negative $30-35M in cap space next year and we need to pay Burns and a QB or 2 besides Corral. Negative $30M and Corral is the only QB on the roster, getting paid like $700k

• Beer 3

36 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

I'm excited for CMC to remind everyone how good he is this year. 

I don’t think anyone forgot, every time he’s on the field he’s making great plays.  People simply don’t have any faith that he will ever stay healthy again.  

Good news about the cap, though!  Very glad we got Moton and DJ locked up already.  We basically have to re-sign Burns, and Jaycee will get a fat contract if he stays healthy and keeps trending up.  I’m excited to see him this year 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Damn what a bullet dodge Watson turned into…another women filed on him today and that contract is an albatross 

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

Yeah, a couple of accusers very well could be gold diggers.  Up to 24 now?  Nah, dude messed up big time.  I was against it from the rip.  People wanted to see how it played out.  Well, the Browns are finding out the hard way.  Fully guaranteed contract too?  Whewwww.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I imagine they want to resign burns and back load it some to free up space now.  He is 16m or so against the cap next year.

You can cut robby anderson and save 11m but still have 10m in dead cap.  I hope he plays well this season and makes that not happen.

Shaq has around 13m of his 24m cap hit that could be saved.  However, he is needed imo.

I was looking at the below to see our current numbers.

Cutting cmc wouldn't free up much of anything.  A trade would make more sense if anything.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/2023/

Edited by w280sax

It's good particularly for rollover which I have not seen mentioned.  And also the fact that Burns is the only one needing a substantial pay day (The entire 2019 draft was a bust minus Burns ).  Those looking at 2023-24 need to check back to see where 2022 stood at this point in 2021.  

We're easily going to rollover $20 mil+ and restructure a few contracts.  That alone gets us back to the green before any moves, releases, etc.  Cap is very fluid, which is why I've chosen to not really get too opinionated on the space available at a given time.    

• Beer 3