• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the run defense hold up?

Jmac

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Snow's scheme hasn't shown it is built for the NFL. I can't even imagine the personnel that would let it work up front. Maybe a pack of HOFers? I sure don't see it improving this year from last year.

It appears Snow is doubling down on his 2021 defensive philosophy favoring speed over size in 2022.

TL/DR:  Size Matters

Thats What She Said GIFs | Tenor

• Beer 1
  • The D 2

1 hour ago, Luciu5 said:

No. But with a little more offense, the opposing teams won't be able to run as much as they did last year. They will have to pass more which plays into our defenses strength. Interestingly, our defense was ranked 9th best last year in rushing yards per attempt.

Exactly right. If our offense hangs onto the ball and scores points, the defense automatically improves. Besides the points you made, the defense does not get as worn out from being on the field all day. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Wolfcop said:

Exactly right. If our offense hangs onto the ball and scores points, the defense automatically improves. Besides the points you made, the defense does not get as worn out from being on the field all day. 

Clearly this is what Rhule and Snow are betting on happening.  Hope they're right.

Devil's Advocate Take:  Opponents successfully use their running attack to control the game's tempo, keeping Carolina's high powered offense on the sidelines, meanwhile gaining first downs in bunches and wearing down our defense.  By the 4th quarter, Panthers D is beat up and winded, opponents are able to move the ball at will and run out the clock.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I am not satisfied that we have the front 7 to compete.

I don't think we do. Of our current front 7, I suspect only 2-4 of them will still be on the team in 2 seasons. 

Like Mr. Scot already said, we appear to have built a defense that revolves around pass rush/speed at the expense of run defense. 

I just don't see a scenario where that get better with the acquisitions this offseason. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm expecting a step back in pass rush but a step forward in run D. That's what losing Reddick does for you. Him and Burns at DE was a helluva pass rush tandem but you're giving up a lot having two relatively light in the pants speed rushers playing DE.

I don't think most of the candidates for his reps are going to be substantially better. TBD, I suppose.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm expecting a step back in pass rush but a step forward in run D. That's what losing Reddick does for you. Him and Burns at DE was a helluva pass rush tandem but you're giving up a lot having two relatively light in the pants speed rushers playing DE.

Our LBs (which still suck) upgraded a little as well. This should help our run defense slightly, but I still see us as maybe middle of the pack in total defense providing Horn plays as well as advertised. 

The run "D" is still questionable- Brown has not been solid and has lost weight. Lionidas is a little lighter than Brown and better known for his pass push than run stuffing. Burns hasn't been able the consistently set the edge and our LBs do not play downhill well since Keek left. YGM when playing end in even fronts should be solid but will be double teamed when teams run his way (cuz no one needs to double our DTs). On early downs Wilson may help when playing inside LB/Mike. He does play well down hill. Its a mixed bag IMO but i worry because our DL is still really too light in the A-- I think. 

To compound those issues I do not think Chinn plays SS (in the box) much. I heard lots of huddlers predict this, but Wilks actually said something in his Intro/conference about keeping him more in the role he was used in last year which took him out of the box more. That said- Rhodes also plays the run well and Hartsfield does as well from the Nickel.

So kind of a mixed bag IMO.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think most of the candidates for his reps are going to be substantially better. TBD, I suppose.

I think Gross-Matos will get a lot of those snaps and I think he'll be a substantial step up against the run, but not the pass rusher that Reddick was.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Gross-Matos will get a lot of those snaps and I think he'll be a substantial step up against the run, but not the pass rusher that Reddick was.

Depends on if he is the guy that gets the most reps or not. I suspect you will see another speed rusher get most of the snaps.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Of our current front 7, I suspect only 2-4 of them will still be on the team in 2 seasons. 

Does 2-4 of them even have a contract that lasts longer than the next two seasons ? I’m pretty sure all of them at this point in time are free agents come 2025 season.