• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Mayfield balls out ....

Jmac

50 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm playing around with spotrac and I really don't see how we can get $60M off the books to afford a franchise tag. Enough to take that $5-8M first year cap hit is doable. Still going to be extending/restructuring Moton/DJ/Donte/CMC yet again, and also Shaq might be a cap casualty unless they seriously wanna consider extending him. I could see Robbie getting cut to save $12M

The cap will go up around 10 million, we'll carry 20 million forward and can restructure 30 million. 

I still don't think we'll tag him though.  If he stays, he balled out.  It will be a multi year deal and Baker will hold all the cards.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If Baker plays well, we need to keep him.  Even if we get rid of Rhule.  Top 10/15 qb's aren't that easy to get.  Those that say we can just draft one need to take a look at draft results over the last 10 years or so.  Looking at NFL drafts from 2010-2019, a lot of qb's drafted in the top 10 don't work out.  At best, its 50/50.  IMO, if we have a guy that can play, we keep him and build around him.  

Again, so top 10 in passing yards and 5 wins? 

new coach needs a new QB unless you are inheriting a HOF type guy.  No point handicapping a new coach to an old QB IMO.  

What’s a good season? To me it’s winning.  I don’t think you can define it by just posting some individual stats.   Especially yards. 

Baker doesn't have to have a probowl year to be worth retaining. How many pro bowls did Cam have?  3. Jake 1.  But they were our franchise guys. Because each in their own way made other guys around them better. They were fiery guys who were emotional and hated losing. Baker has that already with the team. Guys like his attitude and swagger. They follow him already.  I don't care about milestone stats focusing instead on how many 4th quarter drives did you engineer for points at the end of the game. Are you in command of the offense and a leader in the locker room?  Are you best under pressure. Do you bounce back and play well from behind??  He will improve if he can finally stay in one system and have a stable OC. He is a quick study and now we see if he can deliver the goods.

• Pie 4

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

Again, so top 10 in passing yards and 5 wins? 

new coach needs a new QB unless you are inheriting a HOF type guy.  No point handicapping a new coach to an old QB IMO.  

What’s a good season? To me it’s winning.  I don’t think you can define it by just posting some individual stats.   Especially yards. 

If we have 5 wins, Rhule will be gone and Baker too.  The new coach will go to the draft.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Just a reminder, Corral is the only QB on the books next year. If Baker has a decent season, then they need to resign him. 

And for anyone thinking he would sign a two year deal, why would Baker ever consider doing such a thing? 

Because he would be a back up or out of the league rn w/o us as the only team desperate enough to want him? 

13 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Good or Bad, Mayfield won't be on this roster this time next year , he is here to rebuild his reputation so a more competitive team will pick him up, and if he doesn't work out he will be let go

Either way we wind up back with Sam and PJ 

Totally disagree. If Baker helps us get back in the playoffs he will be fine riding with this squad.  After QBs know the success of the team rides on their back and there is talent around him. Unless he thinks this is a poo show, he will be loyal to us given he knows what it is like to be cast aside and will value loyalty in return which spells a multi year contract at the market rate. 

• Pie 1

Rhule and co are not smarter than the rest of the NFL who had no interest in Baker for a can of pringles…and this scenario assumes they are.

But to play along I’d assume a 3 year slightly overpaid contract for a good year, which I’d be fine with, but to be honest if I am Baker and do well and garner interest I would get the fug out of Carolina if Rhule is here to stay, and Tep as an owner.

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Rhule and co are not smarter than the rest of the NFL who had no interest in Baker for a can of pringles…and this scenario assumes they are.

Most teams were set. They either had an entrenched starter or a young guy they still have faith in. Washington probably should have waited instead of going with Wentz but they didn't. That left the Panthers and Seahawks as possibilities. The next question was do those teams want to tank or take a shot. It isn't like this was a fantasy draft and everyone needed a QB. Dolphins think Tua can be the man, we'll see. Lions can't get out of the Goff contract. Giants are giving Jones a go and if some of these don't work out Mayfield is a free agent next year and they get a year to see him play healthy and make that decision.

Of course the 20 teams committed to their QB aren't interested in him as a starter. Mayfield wasn't interested ion being a backup.

Just because the Bills, Bengals, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Cowboys etc... didn't go after doesn't mean that he is looked at as garbage, they already have a starter. There is only 1 starting QB per team.