• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who was our best game day coach?

NAS

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly I don't think we've ever had one.

Our staffs have always seemed like we go into game day with a game plan that either works or doesn't. In-game adjustments have never seemed our forte.

What adjustments? Our philosophy has always been we run what we run and it's up to the opposing teams to stop it. If they then oh well, "it is what it is". "Missed opportunities" was why we lost.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The cool answer I want to give is Capers, because he did some amazing stuff with the league's cast offs. However --

I've got to give the award to John Fox for his Super Bowl run and two NFC title game appearances. He simply did not have the personnel that Rivera did and somehow he still made it work. Peppers and Smitty were HoF players to be sure, but Rivera had Cam and Luke to balance that out. 

Fox coached comebacks regularly, ones that we had no way of winning. Rivera, ehhh, not so much. He either beat you with his gameplan coming in or he didn't beat you at all.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

The cool answer I want to give is Capers, because he did some amazing stuff with the league's cast offs. However --

I've got to give the award to John Fox for his Super Bowl run and two NFC title game appearances. He simply did not have the personnel that Rivera did and somehow he still made it work. Peppers and Smitty were HoF players to be sure, but Rivera had Cam and Luke to balance that out. 

Fox coached comebacks regularly, ones that we had no way of winning. Rivera, ehhh, not so much. He either beat you with his gameplan coming in or he didn't beat you at all.

Yep, which is why once upon a time we were the "Cardiac Cats". It was like the total opposite with Ron. With Ron it felt like even a 10 point deficit was insurmountable.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

Yep, which is why once upon a time we were the "Cardiac Cats". It was like the total opposite with Ron. With Ron it felt like even a 10 point deficit was insurmountable.

It worked both ways with Fox. We were almost never out of it, but we also played down to competition and tried to run out the clock in the third quarter 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

No one will unseat Seifert. The guy didnt even give a fug. There probably isnt many on this message board that actually had to sit through his tenure here, be thankful. 

I did. Season tickets. Spot on.

19 hours ago, CRA said:

I think Fox and Rivera were about the same. Solid coaches.  Who both had stretches of really solid coaching specifically in seasons were things started to go south or were forced to dig out of holes they basically put themselves in.   

Yes, they both did their finest coaching after mathematical elimination.