• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Run D Problem: Scheme, Personnel, or Both??

Jay Roosevelt

28 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Our run defense has been horrible going back some time now even as other areas of our defense have improved. This despite spending a top-10 pick on a DT, a 2nd rounder on a DE, and signing a pretty well regarded veteran in Matt Ioannidis.

The question is: is this because we just don't have the players capable of stopping the run or is there a larger schematic issue to blame here? Or could it be both?

What say the Huddle?

Ioannidis more about interior pass rush. We need linebackers plain and simple. Is there a DT we can sign?

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Scheme is important but we don't have anyone on the defensive line that can stop the run.  It's just not a squad that's build to stack up and stop a power run attack.

Rhule and Snow built the D from the ground up with guys to fit their scheme. I guess they whiffed on Brown and YGM but otherwise the coaches/scheme get all the blame from me. Actually who knows Brown and YGM might look good in a different system

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Rhule and Snow built the D from the ground up with guys to fit their scheme. I guess they whiffed on Brown and YGM but otherwise the coaches/scheme get all the blame from me. Actually who knows Brown and YGM might look good in a different system

I haven't really made up my mind on YGM but Brown just isn't it.  If they had a real stud in the middle that was a terror, the defense would look a lot better.

But you're right.  They still get the blame because they built the team.

Both. It's always both.

Look, fans love to either blame lousy players ... or love to blame a coach if a star player has a poor game. No NFL team is without talent. And if you've made it to the position of coach in the NFL, you at least know something about coaching the game of football. But when you have B and C listers as talent AND coaches ... it ain't pretty. Our D is not elite. The best coach in the world couldn't make them be so. And our schemes could be much better, thus letting our guys have a chance here and there. But yeah ... it's both, man.

Average is as average does.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

We went into FA knowing we needed to stop the run, and we got Ioannidis who is not known as a run stuffer but I guess he went to Temple. 

Personnel this long into a HCs tenure can't be divorced from the coach themself.

This is the D that Rhule/Snow built...

26 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Number one you have to have guys who WANT to stop the run. It seems like we have amassed a bunch of guys who don’t want to. And it doesn’t help that the staff loves guys who are horribly undersized like Burns and others.

THIS!!!!!! ....underrated post. 

And it's weird because we've been putting personnel in place for three years just to emphasize getting to the QB fast. Yet we couldn't get to the QB at all. Which would be easier to digest if we could stop the run but we couldn't do that either. 

We jumped out the window for Athletes and SPEED but didn't target power. The scheme just highlights our deficiency. We have the reverse problem of what we had with Rivera.. 3-4 guys in 4-3 spots. 

Then you add in the fact that our linebackers and corners often miss alot of tackles....its just all bad. IMO ...We've been shaky at run defense since Kuechly retired. The day he left our Run D literally went down atleast a dozen spots. The man was just that good at reading the field, getting other players in position, shedding blocks,  etc. 

Answer: A little bit of everything is the problem. And we've got Barkley on the menu for next week. 

P.S...STOP dropping our DE's into coverage plz. I should never see Haynes Jr vs any eligible receiver.  

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1