Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Diamonds in the rough


Stuart Smith
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

My brother in Christ, these were the first snaps Shenault has taken all year. We need to pump the breaks about being impressed by his two catch performance lest we anoint him the next GOAT a la David Gettis. He did great with his oppportunities this past game. Way, way, way too early to say I'm impressed with the guy yet.

McCall though, I'll give you that one. Rookie has looked solid so far.

I will always pie a David Gettis callback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To those writing off Corral as a bust already, keep in mind that our starting QB can’t do anything surrounded by our starting offense.

Let’s pump the brakes a bit.

He has a tremendous amount of SEC level tape that you can view whenever you like, and let me know if you see “Grier” level talent or not. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

To those writing off Corral as a bust already, keep in mind that our starting QB can’t do anything surrounded by our starting offense.

Let’s pump the brakes a bit.

He has a tremendous amount of SEC level tape that you can view whenever you like, and let me know if you see “Grier” level talent or not. 

I saw Grier level results when every other rookie QB including 7th rounders were looking competent. Corral was literally the only rookie QB who looked that bad. Now he’s on IR and not even practicing. Sorry, but that’s not a good start. I’m not saying he’s done and has no shot, just that the odds appear to be very low compared to the hope right after the draft.

Also, Grier had some great college tape as well. Grier had a 539 yard, 4 TD and 0 interception game against #4 Oklahoma right before they lost to Alabama by 11 in the CFP. In 2021, Corral had two games of 3 or more TDs, Tulane and Austin Peay. Which of those two SEC games should I watch? In 2020, Corral had three 4 or more TD games in the SEC and those 3 teams finished 7-23 in conference.

Maybe Corral will surprise. Most likely we are drafting a 2023 1st round QB.

  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I saw Grier level results when every other rookie QB including 7th rounders were looking competent. Corral was literally the only rookie QB who looked that bad. Now he’s on IR and not even practicing. Sorry, but that’s not a good start. I’m not saying he’s done and has no shot, just that the odds appear to be very low compared to the hope right after the draft.

Also, Grier had some great college tape as well. Grier had a 539 yard, 4 TD and 0 interception game against #4 Oklahoma right before they lost to Alabama by 11 in the CFP. In 2021, Corral had two games of 3 or more TDs, Tulane and Austin Peay. Which of those two SEC games should I watch? In 2020, Corral had three 4 or more TD games in the SEC and those 3 teams finished 7-23 in conference.

Maybe Corral will surprise. Most likely we are drafting a 2023 1st round QB.

If college stats = great tape, then Ty Detmer is a hall of famer. 
 

Again, does our “best QB” with our best players around him look competent right now?


It’s just reactionary to think you can evaluate a rookie, 4th on the depth chart, in 3 quarters of preseason play his rookie year.

And I agree that we take a QB round 1 next year, but that doesn’t say much about Corral, but more about a new staff wanting to evaluate and develop their own rookie. Wouldn’t you want to pick your own QB you evaluated yourself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

If college stats = great tape, then Ty Detmer is a hall of famer. 
 

Again, does our “best QB” with our best players around him look competent right now?


It’s just reactionary to think you can evaluate a rookie, 4th on the depth chart, in 3 quarters of preseason play his rookie year.

And I agree that we take a QB round 1 next year, but that doesn’t say much about Corral, but more about a new staff wanting to evaluate and develop their own rookie. Wouldn’t you want to pick your own QB you evaluated yourself?

If we pick a QB in the first, Corral is a bust. We spent a 3rd and 4th to get him.

We aren’t evaluating Corral in 3 quarters of play, we are comparing him to other rookies, none of whom were 1st team players. He looked the worst and least ready to play in the NFL. We are extrapolating that it’s highly likely he’ll never be a good starter. It’s that simple. Malik Willis was considering far more raw and he’s looked so much better so far and in preseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If we pick a QB in the first, Corral is a bust. We spent a 3rd and 4th to get him.

We aren’t evaluating Corral in 3 quarters of play, we are comparing him to other rookies, none of whom were 1st team players. He looked the worst and least ready to play in the NFL. We are extrapolating that it’s highly likely he’ll never be a good starter. It’s that simple. Malik Willis was considering far more raw and he’s looked so much better so far and in preseason.

There is just so much context being left out here that we’ll just have to agree to disagree and move on. 

  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

Sorry to say, Corral reminds me of Grier. When you watched him in preseason action, he just didn’t have it. There’s poor decisions and missed throws that happen for rookies but he just looked out of place. Mayfield certainly hasn’t been good but Corral looked lost. I see us going QB in the 1st just like Iky due to terrible results patching the OL. We’ll decide we are done trying to get a cheap win at QB and actually invest. The funny part is that retread/late rookie approach hasn’t been cheap. We’ve given up a 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths and a 6th along with $65M+ cap in 3 years. We basically failed miserably trying to get a low cost turn around to play well and to actually be low cost.

At least we didn't trade up for Justin Fields (or did he fall to us?). He looks like a bust. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

If we pick a QB in the first, Corral is a bust. We spent a 3rd and 4th to get him.

We aren’t evaluating Corral in 3 quarters of play, we are comparing him to other rookies, none of whom were 1st team players. He looked the worst and least ready to play in the NFL. We are extrapolating that it’s highly likely he’ll never be a good starter. It’s that simple. Malik Willis was considering far more raw and he’s looked so much better so far and in preseason.

 

You got all that from a handful of Preseason snaps? That's a spicy speculation.

  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

If we pick a QB in the first, Corral is a bust. We spent a 3rd and 4th to get him.

We aren’t evaluating Corral in 3 quarters of play, we are comparing him to other rookies, none of whom were 1st team players. He looked the worst and least ready to play in the NFL. We are extrapolating that it’s highly likely he’ll never be a good starter. It’s that simple. Malik Willis was considering far more raw and he’s looked so much better so far and in preseason.

Corral is very much a question mark, but I say we draft one and let them battle it out.  You have to have a QB to compete and a 3rd/4th isn't a high enough investment for us to pass on one this year.  Even if he becomes our backup that is a cheap backup QB IMO.  

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@stbugs Is not a fan of Corral.  So, we need to take his takes on him with a grain of salt.

That said if we end up in the top 5 in the draft, I think we'll try for one of the elite QBs that come out of this draft.  Right now, Stroud seems to be the front runner, but I doubt we get first dibs on him.  

Corral, IMO, didn't get much of a chance and that's on Rhule.  If he wasn't going to get a clean shot with some decent o-line than they should have just sat him the whole preseason.   Many want to view his preseason as a precursor to how he would play in the NFL.   Game one was terrible, but he did much better in game 2 before getting hurt.  Given the chance I think he'll be a solid player in this league.  Whether it is with the Panthers, will be the question. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

@stbugs Is not a fan of Corral.  So, we need to take his takes on him with a grain of salt.

That said if we end up in the top 5 in the draft, I think we'll try for one of the elite QBs that come out of this draft.  Right now, Stroud seems to be the front runner, but I doubt we get first dibs on him.  

Corral, IMO, didn't get much of a chance and that's on Rhule.  If he wasn't going to get a clean shot with some decent o-line than they should have just sat him the whole preseason.   Many want to view his preseason as a precursor to how he would play in the NFL.   Game one was terrible, but he did much better in game 2 before getting hurt.  Given the chance I think he'll be a solid player in this league.  Whether it is with the Panthers, will be the question. 

 

Who said I didn’t like him? I was actually OK with taking him although I didn’t like losing the 3rd (we’ve already traded away enough). I’m just being realistic and didn’t like what I saw. How often does the worst rookie QB performance in rookie preseason translate to a solid starter? I don’t really know if any of this year’s QBs will end up as solid starters. I was definitely more interested in next year’s class.

Edited by stbugs
  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...