• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A suggestion to David Tepper: Please stop doing press conferences and issue written statements instead.

hepcat

3 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i'm kinda surprised a guy coming from the corporate world didn't have a more polished act there. i actually expected him to be frustratingly stone-faced and inscrutable 

Doesn't really seem to be his style.  Everything I've gathered from the hombre is that he either isn't good at or simply doesn't really care about the more surface level PR.  It also shows in the way he dresses and carries himself.  And this isn't in a digging way, but he's just himself, he's not some finely trimmed stoic YSL wearing muchacho with a high and tight.   

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I don’t think it was him. Sounded like a youngin trying to ruffle his feathers. Fowler would have lobbed Tep a softball 

I'd have to go back and listen to the press conference again, but I think it was Fowler because Tepper mentioned his name. 

He clearly ruffled his feathers though, might have plucked one or two of them in the process. 

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'd have to go back and listen to the press conference again, but I think it was Fowler because Tepper mentioned his name. 

He clearly ruffled his feathers though, might have plucked one or two of them in the process. 

Yeah I thought it was because didn't he say along the lines of, "C'mon Scott, c'mon.  I read your columns, I read them, I know what I could regurgitate" 

If it was SF, then major props to him.  That was a ballsy question to ask.

7 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I don’t think it was him. Sounded like a youngin trying to ruffle his feathers. Fowler would have lobbed Tep a softball 

Fowler and Tepper despise each other... thats evident in Fowler's writing and Tepper's reply to him.

As for the reporter you are looking for .. I cant spell his last name correclty but it's something like "Scott Policic" or something like that.

Edited by TheCasillas

2 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i'm kinda surprised a guy coming from the corporate world didn't have a more polished act there. i actually expected him to be frustratingly stone-faced and inscrutable 

Appaloosa had like 39 employees in it heyday. He is extraordinarily good at running a hedge fund. I am sure he can talk stocks better than most because that is what he has done extremely well at for decades. None of that makes you a polished act speaking to sports reporters and having to answer live, uncomfortable questions.  He goes on CNBC and is in his element. 

He has never been comfortable on screen with the Panthers, even when its at halftime of a pre-season game and it's 89 asking him softball questions.  

I mean, I don't know what you expected. He answered everything that was pertinent to us moving forward.

Everyone knows Rhule sucked. Tepper told you that Rhule was not getting it done. We weren't winning. 

Tepper told you that it's too early to formulate a definitive plan as far as an HC moving forward. He wants to see how the remainder of this season goes. 

He also basically told you that he feels that we have enough to win some games

He told you that better decisions must be made with the allocation of resources. 

He also told you that he's still learning.

He told you that he he didn't want to be knee-jerk about Rhule's firing, and that he wanted to give Rhule a fair shot by letting things play out in order to see some progress. He also told you that after Sunday, he had seen enough. 

Sure, his attitude was a little defensive, but you could still see some humility. The guy is about moving forward, as he should be. If you wanted him to waddle in humiliation and obvious past failure (however recent), you're barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 5

5 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

Yall do know he was required by the NFL to be available right?

If it were up to the owners, coaches, players etc especially the administration they would NEVER talk to the media. It’s why Belicheck goes into his little mumbles character. He tries to make it as boring and painfully for everyone so they STFU and let him get back to cheating and being a bad person 

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I don't know what you expected. He answered everything that was pertinent to us moving forward.

Everyone knows Rhule sucked. Tepper told you that Rhule was not getting it done. We weren't winning. 

Tepper told you that it's too early to formulate a definitive plan as far as an HC moving forward. He wants to see how the remainder of this season goes. 

He also basically told you that he feels that we have enough to win some games

He told you that better decisions must be made with the allocation of resources. 

He also told you that he's still learning.

He told you that he he didn't want to be knee-jerk about Rhule's firing, and that he wanted to give Rhule a fair shot by letting things play out in order to see some progress. He also told you that after Sunday, he had seen enough. 

Sure, his attitude was a little defensive, but you could still see some humility. The guy is about moving forward, as he should be. If you wanted him to waddle in humiliation and obvious past failure (however recent), you're barking up the wrong tree.

Nicely said

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Is he though? I thought those rules were only for players and coaches. Jerry Richardson went like 10 years without giving a press conference. 

No, he's not.

And while I do think it's good for him to have to face the questions, it's correct to say he's terrible at it.

His press conferences have an unfortunate tendency to devolve in one way or another.

I actually thought he did good with the press conference.  I like him being "cagey" makes me think he really wants to win and is disappointed we haven't.  He admitted he was still learning, admitted that he is accountable to the fans, admitted mistakes, all things he didn't have to do.  Some people say he gave vague answers, I didn't take it that way, I took it exactly how he said it...winning, getting over the hump is winning, being patient is winning more this year than you did last, and winning more next year than you did this year but seeing progress IN THAT AREA which he hasn't.  Not sure what all the hate is about with his press conference, personally I say thank you for coming out doing what you didn't have to do!

Now, what time is the Wilks press conference