• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ADAM SCHEFTER: Panthers listening to Christian McCaffrey trade offers

TheSpecialJuan

8 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Panthers are listening to offers for CMC in the same way that I listen to offers for my Mercedes when I take it to the dealership for service.

They give me a price, I hit them with an outrageous counter, we tell each other to fug off, and then go about our day.

Glad I’m not the only one that does that. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Are you actually certain you can get that for Robbie though? 🤔

I'll confess I don't know what the deal is with Akers or why he wants to be traded. Obviously if he's looking for an uncontested number one role, that's not available here.

Evidently the Packers were offering a 6th. I honestly think I'd take any draft capital over Akers who is basically at this point a disgruntled bust of a former 2nd round pick. Collecting other teams' draft busts has worked out predictably for us.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Evidently the Packers were offering a 6th. I honestly think I'd take any draft capital over Akers who is basically at this point a disgruntled bust of a former 2nd round pick. Collecting other teams' draft busts has worked out predictably for us.

Fair point.

Also with Wentz injured, can't really see much chance of getting Howell.

(not but there was ever much of a chance even when Wentz was healthy)

17 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Posted this the other day, seems fitting to do it again because not trading CMC should be the most obvious thing ever, and this post I didn't even bring up the massive Cap hit we'd take next year for trading him away, yet another reason that trading him would make us less attractive to any new potential HC.........

I swear, I really don't understand why people can't seem to figure out how to properly evaluate CMC's future.

Short of Buffalo giving us Cook and 2 Firsts, I'm not even talking to them, dead serious, and here's why.........

With any competent coaching staff, CMC's days as an every down RUNNING BACK are already over, he should and will be relegated to around 10-15 carries a game, max.  He should and will be used in more of a Deebo type of player, he will line up at least 50% of the snaps in a game as a Slot WR, running routes on most plays, taking handoffs on jet sweeps sometimes, and running that as a decoy at other times.

It will keep the wear and tear off his body to allow him to play full seasons while still allowing him a lot of touches each game, and he is already a Pro Bowl caliber Slot WR.  Yes, he is very effective getting 20-25 carries in a game and just wearing down a defense, but it's also what is causing his injury problems, a competent staff will understand this and change how he's used.

When he becomes that role, his contract will look perfectly fine as essentially he's then a top paid WR and we fill in the other 50% of the snaps at RB with players on cheap and/or rookie deals for that team.

There is no good reason that team shouldn't be the Panthers, period.

To a competent HC candidate, who understands how CMC should properly be utilized to maximize his output and decrease injury risk, he is a FAR more attractive piece to recruit a good HC than any fair trade a team is going to offer us.  Even one first by a team in contention, which would fall in the late 20's if not 30's, would be a far less useful piece in said coaching search than the idea of having one of the game's most talented players.

If we trade him, we'll get to see that team get to use CMC for the next 10 years and be possibly the most dangerous weapon in the game during that time.  RB's wash up by 30 because of what it does to their bodies and they don't have CMC's receiving abilities, there is no reason he can't play well into his 30's as he transitions into a full time WR later in his career.

This 100%. MCcaffrey would make Moore and Anderson instantly better as team have to focus defensive resources on stopping him. Then once he is loose in the secondary every touch could go the distance.  Trading him unless he is requesting it make little sense this year at least.

Edited by panthers55

43 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Singletary has proven that he can be productive. Cook hasn't done poo TBH. The pick is the most important thing. Singletary ain't the biggest guy in the world, but Cook is even smaller. Cook's ceiling is probably 3rd-down back. Singletary has at least played every down and has years of NFL conditioning under his belt.

Take a look.

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/05/23/buffalo-bills-devin-singletary-running-back-rankings/

That’s not my point. Singletary’s contract is only through this season. We obviously aren’t making a run this season and should be trading for future assets. Cook is a rookie 2nd rounder with explosive speed. He can be an asset for the future of our team. 

• Pie 2

I wouldn't trade for the sake of trading unless the haul is just too good to turn down.  CMC stays unless the offer is just ridiculously good.  Moore is in the same boat as CMC.  Burns, I'm 50/50 on.  He's still a liability in the run game and I say he's still better suited in a 3-4 scheme as a OLB.  Plus he's coming up on a massive payday.  Robbie Anderson I would definitely trade, but his contract makes it nearly impossible.  Shaq I would trade too, but I don't see anyone clamoring for him and our LB depth sucks (thanks Snow).

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I wouldn't trade for the sake of trading unless the haul is just too good to turn down.  CMC stays unless the offer is just ridiculously good.  Moore is in the same boat as CMC.  Burns, I'm 50/50 on.  He's still a liability in the run game and I say he's still better suited in a 3-4 scheme as a OLB.  Plus he's coming up on a massive payday.  Robbie Anderson I would definitely trade, but his contract makes it nearly impossible.  Shaq I would trade too, but I don't see anyone clamoring for him and our LB depth sucks (thanks Snow).

1rst for cmac or multiple 2nds I would do it in a heartbeat. 

2 firsts for Burns I would do in a heartbeat

6th for Robbie I would do in a heartbeat

5th for Shaq in a heartbeat

• Beer 1

So does Robbie even play today after Joe Person tweeted that he's definitely on the trade block? His locker room presser after Rhule was fired was so awkward. 

Maybe I answered my own question, didn't realize he sat out Friday

Anderson (illness) is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Rams after not practicing Friday, Darin Gantt of the Panthers' official site reports.