• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC to the 49ers

Ricky Spanish

5 hours ago, Krovvy said:

Just remember, running backs are largely replaceable. The year we drafted him is a stellar example.

41st - Dalvin Cook (Minnesota)

48th - Joe Mixon (Cincinatti)

67th - Alvin Kamara (New Orleans)

86th - Kareen Hunt (Kansas City)

105th - James Conner (Pittsburgh)

119th - Tarik Cohen (Chicago)

182nd - Aaron Jones (Green Bay)

And Austin Ekeler (Chargers) went undrafted.

Also, I would like to add, that this next year is projected to be one of the deepest running back classes since 2017. As long as the Panthers can still scout, we're going to be fine.

Not a single one of them would I trade Cmac for.

People forget besides his playing ability that his character is great. That while not vocal he leads by example.

How many guys are out there like that?

6 hours ago, poundaway said:

So I did what you said and went to the Saints, Falcons and Seahawks forums.  I didn't go to the Falcons forums twice tho.

You get mostly disinterest.  Some saying the 9ers with CMC there for the screens is going to be a great combination, some laughing that the 9ers have given away all their draft picks for Lance and CMC.  But nothing like some resounding "9ers got fleeced" theme.

Believe what you want, but CMC was worth A LOT more than Sam Darnold.  He just is.  And when the dust settles and we see what the final picks are actually worth, we may  have given up more for Sam in draft capital than we got for CMC.

200.gif

He’s worth what an actual NFL team is willing to give up for him - NOT what some random user on a panthers forum *thinks* he’s worth. 

what we got was the best anyone was willing to give for him. So, um, yeah. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

lol. We are at -3 million over the cap before the salary cap ceiling is raised. We will be under the cap, and we still have Shaqs contract that will potentially free up 13-24 million. You are overreacting without looking at the facts. 

1. Extending burns would give us 15million back in our pocket

2. Rerstructuring T-Mo can create another 8-11 million

3. Restructing DJ Moore can create another 8-20 million pending on the restructure

Come free agency this team will easily been in the 30s-40s in cap space. We are in a really good situation cap wise for years to come because there are only 2 players on long term contracts that take up a large portion of our cap.

All this is under the assumption they don't further blow this thing up in the name of desperately trying to make this 3rd rate franchise look appealing. DJ could be traded, Burns could be traded, DJax could be traded. All moves would further cripple that 2023 number. 

Assuming all things stay the same and the team does something sensible and only moves Shaq - you're still adding another 13 million in dead cap to next years number. 

We can likely free up ~23 total from Moore and Moton. 

Hopefully Burns re-signs and we can lower the base salary of his 5th year option. Probably free up 10ish million after factoring in signing bonus and his new base? 

For simplicity lets just round it up to 35 million. Right off the bat 15 of that is gone for the rookie pool. 

Down to 20 or so million (maybe closer to 30 if we make some additional moves with guys like Elf, Ian Thomas, Hekker) with 42 players on the roster and the only Qbs being presumed 1.01 and MC. 

So like I said, enough to sign our rookies and dumpster dive or get maybe 1 mid level guy. But after seeing how this team treats its FA acquisitions (Perryman, Dan Arnold) and its superstars (Cam, CMC) you aren't getting any kind of discount. You'll have to overpay for even average guys so expect more Elflein and Irving signings rather than Woods and Corbett. 

13 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

lol. We are at -3 million over the cap before the salary cap ceiling is raised. We will be under the cap, and we still have Shaqs contract that will potentially free up 13-24 million. You are overreacting without looking at the facts. 

1. Extending burns would give us 15million back in our pocket

2. Rerstructuring T-Mo can create another 8-11 million

3. Restructing DJ Moore can create another 8-20 million pending on the restructure

Come free agency this team will easily been in the 30s-40s in cap space. We are in a really good situation cap wise for years to come because there are only 2 players on long term contracts that take up a large portion of our cap.

Shaq leaving is 13M. The other is already gone. 

Burns can’t get you 15M with extension. At best 10M. They have to put some of his signing bonus on first year. 6-7M is more realistic as a cap number for next year. 

Moton gets you 10M. Moore 14.5M. For two players.not living up to their contracts. at this time. 

With 40-50M in dead cap. How much are you putting into a team that won’t be contending? Add in the 16 or so players needed to fill out team, 

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

Not a single one of them would I trade Cmac for.

People forget besides his playing ability that his character is great. That while not vocal he leads by example.

How many guys are out there like that?

Id take Austin Ekeler over CMC if we are going to do year by year comparison and availability. Austin Ekeler is an elite back in this league. He is a dual threat just as much as CMC but has found ways to get into the endzone more than CMC at 200 less touches. 

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

In all honesty.. this free agency has the two players we need... I see these two similiar to when we signed Ken Lucas and Mike Wahle.. those two are....

1. Roqaun Smith
2. Mike Gesicki 

They seem like they are going to be expensive and may not want to sign with a team in rebuild mode.

36 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

This team with cmac with past 4 years.  5-5-5-1

At some point its time to acknowledge what you are doing isnt working

At some point we need to acknowledge our poor QB play is the main reason for those losses. Kyle Allen, 6-7 won loss record, has more QB wins than anyone  in Carolina since the 2018 season.

That's more than Cam, Teddy, Sam, and Baker who were all 1st round picks!

Why do all of the pro-trade people focus on the record with Christian on the field but they never say a word about the mediocre QB play in Carolina since the 2017 season? If we don't get a good QB in 2023, the record won't be any better with those extra picks.

Edited by SCO96

I was in the don't trade CMC for anything less than first round picks camp yesterday but everything i've read says we got the best end of this deal. The most important characteristic of a football player is availability and CMC don't have that. We have been trading away draft picks like we are almost there. I guess that was the grift that Rhule was playing over Tepper. We are not almost there.  We need those draft picks.  Round 1 qb, round 2 wr, dline, round 3 rb...

• Pie 1

Great move IMO. Refill the draft cupboard for the next coach and all they had to do was trade a RB who is replaceable at the end of the day. I wish we had McCaffery with a good offensive coordinator but his time here has been pretty much force feeding him the ball to the tune of 5 wins. It wasn't sustainable and now they have options next year. While I think CMC is awesome, he is not prime AD where you can run him all day to the playoffs no matter who your QB is. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m still amazed at the absolute meltdown from trading an oft injured, massive cap hit running back whose best historical season netted us 5 wins. Hopefully this is the end of building around a rb.

draft a qb in the first round,  draft play makers/oline with the next two rounds. Do this the right way.

We didn't build around a RB. We had Cam.

Cmac or Steve Smith in 15 and we win that Superbowl. 

But unfortunately Cam wasn't coming back from his injury.

Enjoy the next 7 years of nothing to look forward to.

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

We didn't build around a RB. We had Cam.

Cmac or Steve Smith in 15 and we win that Superbowl. 

But unfortunately Cam wasn't coming back from his injury.

Enjoy the next 7 years of nothing to look forward to.

We did actually when we signed him to the biggest rb contract in nfl history that two years later still hasn’t been topped. He proceeded to not be on the field much after that.