• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions: if Wilks does a good job...

Jmac

2 hours ago, frankw said:

How about we see a bigger sample size first. No offense but some folks are giving off the same energy as our 3-0 start with Darnold or our win streak with Kyle Allen. Let it play out.

I agree with this post. However, it is worth noting that unlike the 3-0 start with Darnold it appears we finally have a franchise Left tackle and the offensive line appears solid. We have some key pieces in place. This team has more talent than people give them credit for. 

• Beer 1

Tepper is going to want a guy like Mike Tomlin and Wilks seems to be very similar in terms of his demeanor and how he would build a team. He also comes from the McDermott school who obviously has ties to this organization so give me Wilks, or give me death. He's a respected coach who will be able to recruit whatever coaching talent that there is in the league. Players want to play for him. He's local. Just give him a shot.

This organization needs internal repairs after the damage Rhule has done and you do that with a guy like Wilks. Absent some coach like Lefleur or McVay, Wilks is good.

Dude coached a game against one of the most explosive offenses in the league and held them to 24 points on a day where we barely had 150 total yards on offense.

56 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I like Coach Wilks a lot   He’s a football coach’s coach 

He isn’t the shiny new toy Tepper craves though   He is old school 

let’s see how does first 

but if he does well, keeping him, Al, Campen and Tabor would really be great. Just a decent OC. 

You wonder if Tepper isn't going to go the Mike Tomlin route. Wilks provides that.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

winning record since Wilks took over? or a winning record in general?

I guess winning since he took over but really I want to see back to back seasons ASAP so I want 9+ wins this year so that it could be a possibility next year.

8 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I'd even say without, he was 4 losses behind the 8 ball, so I won't hold it against him.  Standard for Wilks is the same as rhule, playoffs or no deal.

Casillas helped me clarify, Wilks would need to have a winning record as HC, we wouldn't need a winning record as a team. Wilks has 12 total games, already 1-1. If he goes 7-5 this year I'd keep him. 6-6 or worse and I don't think I would. If we make the playoffs at 7-10 that would be embarrassing for the league and this division and I wouldn't keep Wilks just because the division is a joke. But yeah if we're 8-9 and Wilks' record is 7-5 I'd keep him around, that would be very impressive considering how bad Rhule was with the same group (actually a worse group for Wilks with McCaffrey gone)

• Pie 2