• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer talks Panthers, Burns, and details McCaffrey trade...

Mr. Scot

Here's the thing, Burns needs a big pressure force on the opposite side of the line to get maximum value out of what his skillset is. That means one of two things:

A: A team already needs to have an established pass rusher to pair him with. If they do, they are going to get one of the fastest, most aggressive guys in the game. If they don't have that, then Burns will be the main focus for an opponent's blocking efforts, much like we're seeing here. Burns is more fast than strong and he doesn't have the mass to move two o-linemen on his own. 

B: The other option is we desperately need to get someone as a rushing mate for him in the coming season. Much like Reddick worked well with him last year, he needs that help to really succeed. If he stays, then we've got to really put some effort into getting another effective pass rusher, hopefully someone with the strength and mass to not just command but demand double teams.

Personally, I think that's our best route... to keep Burns and try to find that running mate. Should we manage to place ourselves outside of a top 5 pick, we might find that grabbing a perfect DE is a much better way to go and something more attainable.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

Rookie QB's need to come into a stable environment in order to have the best chance for success. Look at the Ravens with Lamar, the Bills with Allen, the chiefs with Mahomes, and Houston with Mr. happy endings. It puts so much less pressure on the rookie QB and allows them to develop at their own pace instead of being asking to carry the entire organization from day 1. So, let's go out and reestablish the identity and culture on what it means to play Carolina Panther football. If we win and make the playoffs so be it, we have plenty of picks to move around in the draft to get a rookie QB or to trade for an already established QB. Also getting this young core a chance to experience playoff football will be good for their development.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

The parts I find most interesting...

There’s an internal belief the roster is in a spot where you could drop a good quarterback in and the team could really take off.

The team braintrust seems to share the notion some fans have expressed that the roster is good, just in need of a quarterback and the right coaching. PJ Walker's performance this past Sunday could be considered evidence to that effect.

Also of note...

In the interim, Fitterer, in conjunction with owner David Tepper, assistant GM Dan Morgan and cap chief Samir Suleiman, huddled to come up with a blueprint for what they wanted out of a deal, and the first-round value was central to that, in giving the team a piece of capital it could use to get a quarterback and augment the existing young core.

The deal was discussed among a group that included Tepper but not Pat Stewart or Steve Wilks. When asked, Wilks did say that he was kept informed of what was going on.

Stewart was at least somewhat tied to Matt Rhule (they had worked together before). Don't know that this necessarily means anything regarding his position but you never know.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

And then the front office realizes that they will have to beat CMC and the 49ers in the playoffs to be a champion...

ooops

That was a huge mistake. Those draft picks and anything the Panthers do is meaningless for the foreseeable future until they prove they can beat the 49ers in the playoffs.

If it was the 1980s maybe. lol

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The parts I find most interesting...

There’s an internal belief the roster is in a spot where you could drop a good quarterback in and the team could really take off.

The team braintrust seems to share the notion some fans have expressed that the roster is good, just in need of a quarterback and the right coaching. PJ Walker's performance this past Sunday could be considered evidence to that effect.

Also of note...

In the interim, Fitterer, in conjunction with owner David Tepper, assistant GM Dan Morgan and cap chief Samir Suleiman, huddled to come up with a blueprint for what they wanted out of a deal, and the first-round value was central to that, in giving the team a piece of capital it could use to get a quarterback and augment the existing young core.

The deal was discussed among a group that included Tepper but not Pat Stewart or Steve Wilks. When asked, Wilks did say that he was kept informed of what was going on.

Stewart was at least somewhat tied to Matt Rhule (they had worked together before). Don't know that this necessarily means anything regarding his position but you never know.

And no mention of Drummond… 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

And then the front office realizes that they will have to beat CMC and the 49ers in the playoffs to be a champion...

ooops

That was a huge mistake. Those draft picks and anything the Panthers do is meaningless for the foreseeable future until they prove they can beat the 49ers in the playoffs.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95218bfdaf9133585aff

• Pie 2