• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

P.J is 5'11..no problem with batted balls

Jmac

Get the man outside pocket the once in a while and he gets the job done.

No drive or down killing batted balls.

Why didn't they try to get Baker outside the pocket when they had that constant problem?

Because he couldn't get his footwork untangled or he just wasn't comfortable doing it?

P.J same height as Mayfield. What was the deal?

Edited by Jmac

PJ can throw from the pocket too.  He has great footwork and a quick release.  The throw someone shared here yesterday was a prime example.  He got pushed off his initial spot, rolled slightly left but never broke the pocket, then reset his feet and zipper a ball to the left.  Baker either tried to throw a timing route feom the pocket, usually due to the RPOs, which the DL anticipated, or when it wasn't timing based, would immediately try to scramble to the outside to throw even when there wasn't pressure.

PJ just plays with more confidence.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Yeah, Mayfield shot out of the pocket like a rocket and still simply wasn't very accurate.

Mayfield's decision making was bad, and like I told people during the spring, he's not really an athletic guy. I think that lineman began to use that against him because he can't or simply won't adjust on the fly. I don't view him as the best throw-on-the-go type of guy. Walker could always roll out and throw with ease, it's just that he wasn't particularly accurate...until this past Sunday. 

• Flames 1

The height argument is overblown. A good qb will manipulate the pocket and open up throwing lanes with his feet. 

It’s exactly why Bryce Young should be the number one pick no matter what. His ability to move within the pocket to extend plays is something not even the most physically gifted qbs can do. 

• Pie 2

The only problem being shorter QBs do have a limited capacity between the numbers in the 10-15 yard range so defenses can easily rule out certain throws in the short/mid range middle of the field.  Buuuut Kyler and Jalen (just started this year) have much less limited passing plays than people would've anticipated & are doing well at dispelling the assumption.

Russ is playing so poorly it's hard to even know with him anymore.

Heck, look at Bryce at :19 below, also 2:43 is a beaut over some big bois

• Pie 1

PJ played really well against Tampa.

I will say that McAdoodoo probably called the best game since he's been here and most likely since 2016.

Also, Baker was never suited to run an RPO offense and I have no clue why, again, we tried to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Defenses would never honor the "threat" of a Baker run....  😂😂

1 hour ago, bigdog10 said:

The height argument is overblown. A good qb will manipulate the pocket and open up throwing lanes with his feet. 

It’s exactly why Bryce Young should be the number one pick no matter what. His ability to move within the pocket to extend plays is something not even the most physically gifted qbs can do. 

I don’t watch all the Bama games, but when I do, for large portions of the game, he has a hell of a nice pocket to move around in. 

People can talk about how this Bama line isn’t as good as usual, but it’s still full of huge recruits that Bama picked for a reason. Young makes some amazing plays moving in a 5 second pocket. 

Not saying he doesn’t have ability, it just makes him harder to individually evaluate. 

• Flames 1