• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rams Offering Two (Future) Firsts for Burns

11 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I respectively disagree with Verge.

That's is their value if you need to cash the assets right now.  But they are an investment.  They will appreciate over time.  And right now we have a little time as this is a lost season. 

Offer any team their 2nd for our next year's 2nd and see what happens?  Even if it's the last pick of the round.  It's why we couldn't simply swap next year's 3rd with NE to acquire Corral with their current 3rd, We had to offer our 4th too to make up for the loss of value.  Future picks carry less value than current ones.  

47 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

The Panthers really are dumb if they don't take this pick.  Burns is not a top 10 pass rusher, he's not great against the run, and he runs past most tackles/sacks.  I just think if someone wants to give us two picks we should take it.  We're going to really be mad when we pay this guy big money and he's still average to slightly above average....or worse just plain bad after.  

Burns isn’t average or slightly above average. he’s good but not great. Year 3/4 is usually when DE’s take the jump sometimes it’s year 5. I’d have pulled the trigger on the trade but it’s still a risk either way. Paying him big money and he just is what he is right now or trading him and the replacement is a bust.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

again, we don't know that.    You can't predict when a player peaks out. 

But all the great Panther DEs to date, reached their playing peaks about year 4/5.   They didn't get more productive after that.  That could be Burns.  It could not. 

Burns isn't a freak DE.  Peppers was a freak DE.  And there is big difference between the two.  You can pay Burns a lot of money.  It won't make him a Peppers caliber freak though. 

Pep first four seasons had 40.5 sacks

Burns has 30.5 currently in his fourth season with 9 games left

Put some respect on BB

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Plus the team will have a rookie QB on a rookie contract this time next year anyway, you can absolutely justify spending money on an edge defender. 

Yeah it might be the 3rd most important position.  QB, LT, Pass Rusher.  It's why they make the big bucks.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I really can’t wait until we get to a point where we have a competent coach and GM that aren’t think about getting fired during rebuild and realize the best way to keep your job and get raises is to build a talented playoff team that god forbid competes every year for many years.

Just saying but plenty of GM's have been fired with the approach you're going for in trading away players for picks but the problem was those picks did not end up being the returns they had hoped for and in the meantime the team sunk further so either way out of a job. You can find some examples of teams who have had success doing this but there are many more than have failed miserably. The best approach for now is to retain Burns services and look to the draft for a quarterback.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

again, we don't know that.    You can't predict when a player peaks out. 

But all the great Panther DEs to date, reached their playing peaks about year 4/5.   They didn't get more productive after that.  That could be Burns.  It could not. 

Burns isn't a freak DE.  Peppers was a freak DE.  And there is big difference between the two.  You can pay Burns a lot of money.  It won't make him a Peppers caliber freak though. 

Most great pass rushers are hitting double digit sacks either in year 2 or the first year they start.

Bruce Smith yr 2  15 Kevin Greene 16.5

Deacon Jones yr 2 12.     TJ Watt 13

Reggie White 18.      Derrick Thomas 20

So really if he's going to be great typically he would have had a big year by now.

23 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Acknowledging that’s how GM’s view picks (not just Fitt, but the Rams GM too) means…

…more picks need to be in the trade. A fans value of a pick is irrelevant. The way GM’s value picks is highly relevant. 

Does pointing this out make me, others, and/or the concept itself stupid? You seriously think that?

Of course not and I wasn’t calling you stupid. I’m sorry if you misunderstood me for saying that. But some are saying that we shouldn’t trade Burns for two future 1sts because they are worth mid rounders. And THAT is what’s stupid. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Again, why is our mindset about not getting fired? Oh, that’s right, we are 17-40 the last 4 years. We should absolutely not be thinking that way because that’s what Marty did, that’s what Rhule did and clearly Fitterer as well. It’s laughable to say that two future firsts are worth a 2nd and 3rd this year. I don’t care about GMs and coaches because if we are talking about guys getting fired in 1-2 years, we fuged up hiring or keeping them anyway. At the end of the day the picks are players and two future first round players will (according to statistics) have a much bigger impact on the Panthers than a 2nd and a 3rd rounder. If we don’t even have our future coach and QB aren’t on the team until 2023, saying firsts in 2024/2025 are too far away is silly.

Also, appreciation only occurs if the Rams get worse. I think that might be likely given Stafford’s age and his increased hits due to Whitworth and Corbett being gone.

That's just how it works in the Not For Long league.

• Beer 1